Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭BK5

Just want to echo DvB's advice on the decorations. When it comes to your home, remember it's a marathon not a sprint. I've been doing up the house for 23 years and trust me you need to build up your stock of decorations over the years with good stuff that doesn't fall apart after one season.

We make a plan every January what we would like to add and what needs to be replaced/updated for the next Christmas.

And write and label everything when your putting it away, makes it so much easier when late Nov, early Dec rolls around.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Echoing DvB and BK5's sentiments.

I've gotten a few nice Kilkenny Shop and Tipperary Crystal ornaments/decorations in early January to build up a nice collection of bits and pieces.

My Christmas tree is 10-11 years old, and I'm thinking a new one might be my Big Purchase of 2024. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

The likes of Carraig Donn also tend to reduce their Christmas stuff close to the big day. They do have lovely homeware pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Thanks everyone for the tips! Much appreciated! It's just the outdoors stuff that'll be new to us this year. We have been renting for about ten years and have a very solid indoors decorations layout. Obviously now we have more options it will be exciting, the house we were renting was small. This house is a normal sized house so can't wait to have a 7ft tree instead of a 6ft one and not be squashed away in the corner!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I think I'll need a new tree this year too as I've had mine for 10 years. I love the look of the Nebraska in HS&M, but I think they're a bit too wide for the space I have for it.

I also bought a good few cheap tree fillers for the first year in my house that I stopped using after a year or two. Easons had a great post Christmas sale one year and I picked up a good few fancy baubles for 75% off and they're all still in use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,126 ✭✭✭✭DvB

So, into the 250's on the countdown today, so nearly half way through the 200's… even with the miserable weather the year is moving at a fair old lick so far.

Was at training last night with the team at the slightly earlier timeslot of 6-7pm and with it being bright & clear it was a great reminder of what the summer evenings can be like, looking forward now to the longer evenings & it being bright until after 10pm, love that time of year, just hope the weather plays ball at some stage and we dont have another miserable summer like last year.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

I have the Nebraska & I think if I was buying it again, I wouldn't! It's a lovely big full tree but it's an absolute nightmare hanging baubles on it - the branches are too wide. Bring a bauble with you & try it on all the trees before you buy is my advice!

Just noticed that that the Christmasbuzz.uk website is gone. What with the ChristmasUK website disapearing last year too that's 2 of the better Christmas build up themed sites gone which is a shame. Very little out there now for the 2024 build up.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Oh good advice, I never would have thought to bring a bauble to check for size! I was able to see right through my tree last year, even when it was decorated, so I love the idea of a nice full tree with no gaps.

I would never have thought of it either but honestly, it's a pain putting the baubles on it. I've contemplated just putting lights on it and leaving it at that 😂 We also only have it about 8 years so I can't justify a new one yet, it has held up well to be fair.

I think that @Loughc also has the Nebraska.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Note to self......Nebraska can do one!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

yep I have a Nebraska tree too. Some of the branches can be difficult to put baubles on but I love how full it looks every year.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I think people are moving away from websites and using social media to share the content on.

In other words we are getting old.

Were these websites running all through the year or during the build up period?

Only websites I visit during the year are Christmas FM, mostly Classical and Xmasclock which is just a countdown page running all year round.

Both tended to go quiet from January until around 100 days to go on thr countdown. Both websites had been maintained and could be viewed throughout the year though, not anymore though.

ChristmasUK is still going on.the blue-sky platform but Christmasbuzz.uk looks done.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

There might be a little gap in the market if any of you are app developers by trade (or in your spare time)

I think the time required to maintain these sites is the issue. Can easily see in the 100 days countdown period it being practically full time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Maybe so, I never used the sites so I have no idea what kind of service/info they were providing

• Registered Users Posts: 30,196 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I couldn't think of the word side dish for a meal and all I could think of was stocking filler!

It's bizarrely warm out there today, bright but no sunshine, but more importantly, no rain so far today! I'm pretty sure it's on the way, but for now, I will live in ignorant bliss until it arrives. My grass needs to be cut again, so hopefully there is a decent spell of dry weather in the not too distant future.

• Advertisement

We got a nice bit of rain for a couple of hours there this evening thankfully it stopped now. Very very warm here today as well.

Just back from Shannon, absolutely bucketed down all the way home, awful driving conditions. Thankfully stopped now.

Car said 19 degrees at one point too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

My grass is cut! Happy dry Friday folks.

I've a quiet enough weekend but going to a Pink Floyd candlelight concert. I know about 5 songs but the person the ticket was intended for has a wedding so I'm hopping on just for the evening out really.

I'm hoping it stays dry enough for me to get mine cut tomorrow. My back garden is NE facing, so it takes a while for it to dry out. There's not great drainage either, so the ground feels like a swamp with all the rain!

I've never been to the candlelight concerts, I only found out about them earlier this year, but I love the idea of them. With the atmosphere at something like that, it should be enjoyable even when you don't know all the songs. Enjoy!

It's doing that misty sort of rain here where you need to look twice out the window to see if it is actually raining. Looking forward to the weekend as I'm knackered.

I was at the Beatles one a while back, really enjoyed it and my wife who wouldn't be a Beatles fan said she enjoyed it more than she thought she would. And she knew way more songs from them too.

Are you going to St. Andrews church for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

This batch of concerts are on in O'Reilly Theatre in Belvedere College.

Coincidentally I'd bought my Mam tickets to the ABBA one for mothers day and it's on today as well, same venue but earlier!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I got the grass cut!, there was a time where I wouldn't come on a forum just to announce this but it feels such a achievement.

Me too and and I got my washing dry this morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,196 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Won't be long until the costumes are out!

Advertisement