Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clean Air/Congestion Charging set to be introduced by 2030

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,699 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

You could have picked a diesel Dacia Crossover and a Porsche Taycan.

Golf GTI would be heavier than a Golf 1.0.

Dunno what point your trying to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Scipri0

You mean leave the roads free for people who can afford it while people who can't are priced off the roads?

Congestions charges yes to clear the road of the poors, leaving the inner city streets for those with money. There are lots of minimum wageworkers working in city centres. The reason people choose to drive is because public transport in this country is a mess and underfunded.

You could be waiting hours for a bus in the rain only for two to come one after another, but now you're soaked and late. I'm okay with the congestions charges if they're proportionate to wages and the money is actually invested into public transport. I don't take the bus because they're unreliable, I 'd actually be faster walking but in the rain and when needing to get to work it's a problem, so i drive. Introducing tax after tax in little old Ireland isn't going to save the planet.

I live near enough in Cork city and it's still a mess. Not reliable at all. I can only imagine others further out.

Trying to pass around carbon emissions from corporations as Carbon Credits, when in the end they're worthless and don't change anything. And a lot of the big polluter companies had a hand in bringing in these.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

"an average is correct" no it's not

I picked the Golf v eGolf as an example to show how wrong you are in terms of "twice the weight". Also gave an example of the new ID.3.

Now you can run around for another few posts without admitting you are wrong but I have zero interest. So bang away

If you're using the most expensive form of transport you must be rich in the first place. That you're complaining about a charge that's about 0.001% of your annual driving costs confirms it. It's usually the case with someone driving a 3 ton 5.0 diesel SUV around the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

Ah yes complaining about having no options in a city. Make sense.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Makes me laugh when I see a post about the "Motoring poor"….

Back in the day(even 25 years ago) if your family had a car you were seen as being well off, and most of us who didn't have a car walked/cycled or got the bus to where you wanted to go… Now you're poor if you have a car??

I call B.S on the "poor worker" example…..

I don't see a vast cohort of shop workers/minimum wage workers in city centres who have access to free car-parking so one would assume that private car parks are being used and for quick example that's €200 a month in Cork city, add in the cost of running a car, insurance, tax, NCT, Fuel, say another €400 in monthly payments… so in reality how many of these workers after paying €600 a month for the privilege of a private carriage into their minimum wage job is there? Very very few if any! Apart from the fact that there's a large number of people who have come from abroad to work in these low paying jobs that don't have the cash to purchase a private car and a place to park it at home or have passed a driving test…

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,547 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

someone commuting on luas/DART/dublin bus/commuter rail will pay €4 a day to get into and out of work; but i'm meant to believe that a significant cohort of minimum wage workers are instead driving into the city centre? what is the 'use case' for someone like that driving in where they can't get public transport?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,562 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

If we don't want cycle lanes with bollards, then we need drivers to respect basic traffic markings and not park on cycle lanes and footpaths.

100% agree with you, I would NEVER park in a cycle lane or on a footpath or stop in a yellow box. I think people just have a park it anywhere attitude and the quality of driving on Irish roads is crap. I still don't understand why they don't lift cars? It would be an incredible deterrent and a money maker

On the traffic survey numbers, how many people would need to be involved in faking the results of a survey like this? Do you not think that any one of the five or ten people that would be involved would leak the fact of any faked survey to the press or to the Ditch or whoever?

No one cares enough. And even if you did win and prove your point nothing would be done. Someone high up (Probably not an elected person) decided cycle lanes are happening. Same way someone decided to rip up the train and tram lines years ago cause Cars and Buses were happening.

Maybe I'll go out there one morning and count them myself, I guarantee no one would give a sh*t and more likely I'd be ridiculed for doing it, or be told I faked the results.

The reason they do surveys and studies is because a sample of one, isn't really a useful indicator of anything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,547 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there are two possible reasons (not just two, but these are the relevant ones) why the council might put in cycle lanes:

1. we need to provide cycle lanes to cater for the sheer number of cyclists who are already cycling.
    2. we need to provide cycle lanes to allow people to cycle, because the numbers are low due to a lack of decent cycle lanes.

i could speculate about which is the reason it was decided to put in cycle lanes, but i think we probably all agree on which of those two reasons was more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

yes it's ridiculous this poor people having to drive cars thing. any office i've worked in in the last 10 or 15 years, pretty much all of the canteen staff and cleaners have been foreign, none of them are driving to work. minimum wage jobs people aren't driving cars around like this thread would have you believe, they can't afford them. measures to reduce the amount of cars in cities will benefit the less well off the most, as they're the ones cycling and taking buses.

people who decide to buy a house in kildare instead of coolock because they want a nicer house/area made their own bed.

I've a 2015 car that is given me no problems and gets me to and from work. It's not just about me. In all areas we've got taxes being imposed on people and for people who are well off it's no problem, but other people with less money and just making ends meet are being punished harder.

Eamon Ryan wants us to grow salads in our houses, in our windows, but there's people out there who don't even have houses but just a tiny box room. We have EU laws coming in that want to put up airfares because people are getting a cheap Ryanair flight out of this dump of a place to relax and not be ripped off for a few days in the sun.

Private jets are going to be exempt for the wealthy who fly around for stuff they can do over zoom or to visit a special sporting event. The less well off is the cause and not the massive corporations or rich people. The green party is all taxes, which is not going to save the planet.

I'm using a car that's cheap to run to get me to work every day, (You know the thing, the government wants us to get up early in the morning and do?) You can stay home and grow a salad in your window and pay extra taxes, but it's not going to save the planet.

I'm complaining about taxes on people is not always the answer. You're only hurting people who already have less in society. I live in the city and the transport is ****, I can only imagine the people outside in the middle of nowhere. Turniphead in the Green party would have you walk into the cities.

• Advertisement

Have you even read my previous comments? It's not only about this particular instance, but it's all the government and Greeny party have is tax, tax, tax. That's it! Sorting out infrastructure and public transport seems to be too much, despite being a "Wealthy country" Lots of low paid workers work in the city with cheap, run around cars, soon the government will target them even more by taxing combustion engine cars more, and it's the less well off who'll be punished again because they can't buy a brand spanking new EV for €40,000 and so on. Raising more taxes on people on or near the bottom in their lives is not going to save the planet, just making things harder and pushing more people into poverty.

It still sounds like you just want others to support your expensive, and driving habits. They can breath in your exhaust fumes while their public transport carrying 80 people in one go is delayed by giving priority, your personal transport carrying one person.

Yeah a congestion charge of 0.01% your driving expenses isn't pushing anyone into poverty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Yea I still think the "Motoring Poor" is complete Bull… Apart from that, how sustainable is having a fleet of old bangers clogging up City streets? The answer is it's not..

As for your other comment "sorting out public transport" …Pure hyperbole!!

Dublin Bus has 136 routes going through the city, add in Luas, Dart, Suburban rail, private bus companies just how much more "sorting out" would you like? Answer: by reducing the numbers of private vehicles' in the core city centre which are causing delays for public transport then it becomes more efficient…

If you want to drive your private vehicle through the city centre streets then no one is stopping you..you're on the wrong crusade here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

a quick Google gave me this - I could poke more holes in every single statement you have made- your argument is like a sieve.https://www.google.com/search?q=parked+cars+prevent+emergency+vehicle&rlz=1CACCCC_enUS992&oq=parked+cars+prevent+emergency+vehicle&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOTIHCAEQIRigATIHCAIQIRigATIHCAMQIRifBdIBCTE1NDc3ajBqN6gCALACAA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#ip=1

I'll tell you what, Since you don't mind paying for these extra charges, you can cover mine as well. I need my car to get to work on time, Buses are unreliable at the minute and waiting for them, you'd nearly be waiting an hour. Fix public transport first. All the taxes we pay aren't going to save the planet.

Do you think all these extra climate taxes are going to save the planet? When you've got massive countries and corporations putting out so much, it makes Ireland insignificant. I want to get to work and on time. Leo wants us all to get up in the morning, then let him and the government put some of this supposed "Wealth" to work and build up our infrastructure and public transport BEFORE these charges are brought in. After that, most people won't mind. At the minute it's just another poor tax, and it's not going to save the planet.

Edit: In case you haven't seen

umm, according to that link, the top four companies listed are oil and gas companies?

they're not actually burning the fuel they're selling. someone else is doing that…

• Advertisement

So you need a car to get to work on time due to congestion, caused by cars.

Your solution to that problem is to encourage more cars.

Good luck with that.

Advertisement