Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs and Clubs to get longer opening hours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭Allinall

The law decides that pubs and clubs have to close at a certain time.

You can't have longer opening hours without changing the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,068 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Helen McEntee is to blame for this inaction.

She's completely useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,711 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Folk pay the taxes needed to patch up alcohol related harm. Rightly so that they have input to the parameters of selling it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Alcohol consumers pay a nearly world-beating level of duty and VAT on the product.

Removing the all-out-at-once rush that a single, early, closing time creates massively reduces the level of anti-social behaviour, reducing costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭BagofWeed

Congratulations, your Irish passport should be in the post tomorrow. I remember you posted that you were foreign but I can tell you that you are well and truly suited to this country. Killjoys is what ye are.

Which "folk" pay the taxes?

The customers are tax payers like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Anti social behaviour will reduce if people leaving bars is staggered.

Thars the major problem with the current system. Litererally 10s of thousands of people out in Dublin city centre around 2am, all trying to get a taxi or bus home and tempers flare.

Staggering the closures so there is more even distribution of people travelling home will help the guards, the public, the transport etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,319 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

once again just to say on my behalf -

I am not coming at this from a moral or religious view.

My concerns are the societal consequences of the proposal.

I don’t care if you want to sit in your house drinking all night - very little societal consequences although ruinous to your personal health if regular behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Do you not think that if there was extended opening hours well into the early hours that it would mean that people would leave in smaller groups or alone, leaving them more open to being assaulted and robbed by criminals hanging around the city centre?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

• Registered Users Posts: 23,838 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It won't change that situation which already pertains.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭BagofWeed

Don't drink myself believe it or not.

This is the winner.

Does anyone remember a political objection to a Dublin underground station proposal for OCS in the 80's ? Supposedly gangs would meet up fighting down under there. Someone must have had the bejaysus scared out of themselves after watching the MJ Bad video.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I was in in Cork city today at 3pm. Drunk people out and about in the middle of the day. Should we have no alcohol sold at anytime so?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭techman1

Dublin isn't Bogota or Rio de Janeiro, its generally a safe european city like every other city in Europe. If people want to party late .thats their decision like in other cities in Europe. We love to say what great europeans we are and how amsterdam has all those cycle lanes and greenways etc and how we should do likewise but when it comes to european style bars and clubs, oh no ah sure we couldn't be havin that, sure the poor crators will go mad

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It's good that premises will have the option but I don't see it helping their businesses, the culture is rapidly changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,238 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Registered Users Posts: 15,035 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

As a result most places will not avail of the ability to stay open later and everyone will still end up being turfed out at the same time.

Seriously though, this has been in place in England for almost 20 years now, I'm sure there is a wealth of research available and analysis both pro and con the current laws there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I was on holiday in Spain three weeks ago. It was novel to see places stay open so late- probably because it was my first time abroad since pre-Covid and hadn't been to a party spot before. Also noticeable how few visible police were on patrol at night, maybe because public order offences were slim to none.

I don't get why every potential change to legislation here is greeted with 'but...but...but....will someone think of the children'.

I wish someone - instead of trotting out silly “nanny state at it again” or “holy Catholic ireland doesn’t want paddy to go mad” type rubbishy arguments would address the following:

lack of public transport in middle of the night? Particularly so outside Dublin

Gardai resourcing to ensure policing of the heavily intoxicated drunks and drugged at 4:45 am ?-the negotiations for that will be fun...:/

Health resources (A & E and hospitals resourced so that 4:45am is now “rush hour” ?- the nurses will love that...

Public health consequences down the line say 5 years? Alcohol and drug addiction rates?

Consequences on street crime and drug dealing?

Consequences on drink and drug driving in early hours of the morning due to lack of public transport?

Labour resourcing - staffing to work all night and what pay will be provided?

Noise pollution and general annoyance in residential areas where families are in bed asleep but have to get up at 6 am to go to work and school?

Have at it, folks...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Why are you banging on about drugs?

Also, please define the word "woke" that you have repeatedly used.

Why do I mention drugs? Because I have decades of experience of living in Ireland and I am not naive.

Drugs are a huge part of Irish social scene - absolutely intertwined.

I haven’t used woke repeatedly - check back my posts. I responded to 1 post saying this proposal is woke.

if you are asking me what woke means for me - it means pathetic attempts by politicians to be trendy and “cool” in an attempt to attract popularity.

Drugs aren't being made legal by this legislation.

So you have a definition of woke that doesn't align with any dictionary and means "things I don't like, waa". Great. Makes it far easier to dismiss your comments as baseless moans.

It would be great if people realise that using "woke" makes it blatantly clear that you don't know what you're talking about, don't know what the word means, and are just angry and incoherent. Everyone who uses it is just angry and incoherent.

Please address my earlier post and stop firing abuse at me. Thanks.

I did.

Drugs aren't being made legal by this legislation.

You admitted that you use "woke" as a term of abuse for politicians (because you don't understand the word), so trying to claim anything relating to that is abuse is hilarious.

I raised many more issues than woke.

Forget about woke, you can have that if you wish, - that’s not my central point.

My central point is there are a myriad of societal consequences that the “ah sure be grand” brigade are ignoring or refusing to address because they know there is no quick fix solution or glib sound bite

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Has this been taken into effect now ?

This thread has had everything you are going to come up with done to death already.

The consultation on this legislation had it all done to death already.

There is nothing "woke" - either your, common and telling, misinterpretation of the meaning or the actual, utterly irrelevant to this, meaning - about the legislation. Its basically dragging Ireland in to the 1980s; reducing the nanny stateism and will, in time, reduce some of the childish behaviour around alcohol that the country has because of being treated like children. This is sensible legislation, which we should have had decades ago - and likely would have had had John O'Donoghue never been let near Justice.

There won't be a rush to get three pints at last orders when last orders is two hours after you go to bed. Anyone who has actually been in places that have proper late opening know that by the time places close, they're empty. Everyone goes home when they want to, not when the Government tells them to. Streets, bus stops, taxi ranks and takeaways don't get crammed in one ten minute period because not everyone leaves in one ten minute period.

The nanny state brigade ignore reality because they like people to be treated like children.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭timmyntc

People who are determined to keep the party going will do so whether pubs and clubs are open or not.

Indeed most of drink and drug related deaths occur in homes after hours rather than at pubs and clubs, because when you remove that element of supervision the level of harm increases.

Longer hours also allows people to finish at their own time and drink at their own pace - less FOMO and rush to order 2 drinks at last orders.

From a psychology point of view, making something restricted and taboo only increades people's tendencies to put it on a pedestal. If you want a more European, calm and moderate approach to alcohol in this country you need to make it more available, and get rid of the taboo around alcohol. Again this is well known, proven stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

It also isn't Berlin or Barcelona.. Also in those European cities have a highly visible Police presence.. we don't have that here. Ever try talking back to the Polizei??

In a nation that's known for its binge drinking(and in Dublin city centre known for its antisocial behavior)... We're not like the Spanish who will only go to a drinking establishment until 9 or 10pm.. And in those cities the only ones falling about the place or fighting in the streets are the tourists..

(As for going on about cycle lanes and Greenways, no idea what you're on about there.)

Advertisement