Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs and Clubs to get longer opening hours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭beeker1

Well Mark E Smith you obviously don't give a **** about the people who'll have to work those hours without being properly compensated , Dublin bus pay their drivers €50 an hour for the nite link shift , I guarantee you the mainly immigrant staff at most Dublin City shops aren't earning anything close to that but will have no choice but to accept it while the licence owner rakes it in ! Maybe you need to review "hit the north " , Smith was no free marketeer !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

It seems there is a fair chance this law wont pass now.

All the hype about give us the night etc and i expeft its dead on the water now.

At the very least, they should get rid of the nightly late license charges and abolish the restriction on the number of licenced pubs.

Its nuts that some rural pub in Mayo can sell a license to Dublin for thousands of euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭BagofWeed

People should hire industrial units out and have raves in them. The laws don't work for the common people in Ireland but luckily the legal/court/policing system itself barely functions in an efficient manner anyway so what's the worst that could happen people who organise and/or attend them, Sweet f*ck all really !

Ireland is a total nanny state and people shouldn't tolerate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,030 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Life ain't always empty.

Midweek nites in Dublin are quiet now ! Even Friday nite isn't what it used to be , the cost of living exacerbated by LeGardes interest rates are really biting ! The massive pent up demand that was unleashed on covid relaxation has evaporated, I really doubt there's much of an appetite for 6am opening ! Perhaps extend Sunday hours , haven't been in town for a while but 12:30 Sunday closing was a bit puritanical !

• Advertisement

Dublin city centre and villages like Smithfield, Stoneybatter, Rathmines etc are still very busy.

Pub quiz nights seem to have taken off in a big way! Not unusual to not get a seat on a wednesday night for a quiz and thats pubs in the suburbs.

It's called an op-ed ! I'm not the one who's quoting Mark E Smith , tell me what points you disagree with ?? Instead of labelling my post "toss" !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I'd be hopeful the later opening hours section of the proposed legislation is removed. Most people wouldn't object if this was specifically limited to large clubs in city centres but it was left too vague and people in smaller towns and villages are worried about their areas being destroyed. The behaviour of some people under the current system can make people living near pubs lives misery. The idea of extending that is obviously not going to be supported.

Fair enough ! But not to be flippant I don't see the need to extend midweek closing times unless it's the mother of all quizzes ! I'd say those that drink in the villages midweek are quite content to leave 12:30 / 1:00 am ! And I'm sure the staff are quite happy to wrap it up too !

• Advertisement

I think the late opening should pass, but it will be optional. So you wont see rural pubs applying for it. It will be a handful of clubs in the cities that will utilise it.

Pretty much all of the other european countries have it, so no reason why we shouldnt also.

It will help stagger peoples leaving times, which means less drunk people on the streets at the same time, easier to get taxis/transport home.

It also means people in the industry can stay out if they choose to do so.

Its a strange one though, as there are already places in Dublin that open until 4ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Exactly, but similar to the recent referendums they left it vague as to what the outcomes might be. No one would object to modernising the bizarre licensing law issues but this is too much and people haven't a clue what the result might be. No party should touch this before an election if they have any sense.

And when you say night time economy and take back the night. Most people realise that in the real world AGS can't really do much, the courts don't do much so if you try to take back the night it will just be spoiled by pissheads and scrotes.

There's a market out there , there's a Chinese restaurant on parnell Street filling a void but it's strictly locals only and I mean locals , if you're not from summerhill you're not getting in ! Remember "Sinners" the Lebanese restaurant on Parliament St , unless you were from finglas you weren't getting in ! My point is that there's not a massive demand for after 3am club closures and the drinks would be prohibitively priced ! And Monday through Thursday would not attract enough punters to warrant a 6am opening ! Let's see the legislation first , and go from there !

I get you ! Paddy couldn't be trusted to drink responsibly , hence archaic rules like the holy hour & 1030 Sunday closing so we would all get up for work on Monday morning , Guinness was reduced in strength but the colonies were enjoying "export" @ 5% ! I'd say getting staff to work till 6am will be an issue unless we'll rewarded & rightly so ! If we get till 4am and not just "wine bars" but a full bar will suit most , let's see the legislation !

• Registered Users Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The rest of the world will prove you wrong.

How do the staff in London and Berlin cope with 6am or later ?

How do people cope with "mixing with workers" in those countries ?

And if only a few open till 6 so what. Is the law a failure or something if everyone doesn't take it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The issue is that the “ah sure be grand” brigade are ignoring that if we were to open pubs and clubs all night - then there are wider societal consequences

Effect on services like

policing,

healthcare/hospitals,

transport (taxis and public transport),

Drink and drug driving

retail (chippers open literally all night?)

Public health (drinking and drugging all night)

Crime (public order from ppl absolutely bananas drunk/drugged, drug dealing)

The pub/club trade itself (would you work minimum wage behind bar for 12 hours up to 6 am then clean up for 2 hours????)

It is simply NOT about the nanny state trying to stop joe and Josephine soap from partying into the early hours due to some Catholic guilt trip or some such silly reason....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,038 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Is there really a new push back against this?

The thread only got a bump because Michael Ring said that the legislation along with the hate speech legislation should be scrapped by Simon Harris.

Im sure there are loads around here would agree with Ring on the hate speech legislation.

Just on policing alone, how long would the negotiations with the Garda unions to facilitate officers managing crowds on the streets at 4:30am take?

And then will there be buses or taxis for ppl to get home at those hours?? I’m sceptical.

This is before we talk about the consequences on already dysfunctional A&E services having to “cater” for heavily intoxicated ppl requiring treatment at 4:30 am ...

Maybe London, Berlin, Paris can deal with these issues.

Can Dublin, Cork, Galway, Limerick?

What about rural towns and rural Ireland itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

what makes you think many/any clubs outside of dublin will be constantly open until 6am? some places might stay open til 4. i cant see many doing it outside of the bigger clubs that run ticketed events. reardens down here wont be staying open til 6. do you think run of the mill clubs in london all stay open until 6am???

do you think drinking and "drugging" stops onces 2.30 am hits? people who want to continue always continue

• Advertisement

My point is there has been minimisation/no consideration whatsoever of the wider societal consequences of letting places open all night.

I listed some of the sectors involved, in earlier post.

But the “sure be grand” brigade ignore this, and instead seem to think “holy Catholic Ireland” is stopping them.

yeah ive read your posts.your back is up for some reason, you'd want to relax a small bit.

Thanks for the advice, you’d want to relax too. Have a good day

• Registered Users Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

There has been consideration. It's just people don't agree with your assessment once they considered it.

I don't see any of your doom and gloom coming to pass and actually think it will ease these problems.

The 6am finish is only a very small part of this anyway and only a few Dublin mega clubs are expected to go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

100%, rural Ireland doesn't even have clubs anymore

If it's too expensive and there's no demand then wtf are you worrying about?

Let owners and customers decide.

Life ain't always empty.

It'll likely or definitely be beneficial to all of the above.

No crowds of people skulling closing time pints then hitting the street all at once.

Fewer people going to house parties and taking drugs because they got turfed out of the pub at a silly hour.

No massive crowds all looking for food or taxis at the same time.

If somebody is stupid enough to drive drunk at 4am, do you think they'd refuse to drive drunk at 12am?

Our licensing laws especially late opening and early closing on Sundays are very much religiously inspired and religiously inspired laws have proven to be a very poor way of running our society.

Life ain't always empty.

rte upfront was a funny watch at least. full of the pious anti alcohol brigade. why was there nobody there to represent the club scene ffs. yer one from alcohol action ireland saying our drink in shops is as cheap as it was 20 years ago😂.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Few places will be open until 6 and not many people will stay out until 6. The point is the option should be available. As should the option to buy drink from an off license or supermarket at 9am. We are adults alcohol is either legal or not, if it's legal why should we have any restrictions on what time you can buy it at. One scenario I could see this being good, A lot of big UFC and boxing events are on well past 2 30 am. I'd say you'd get demand for a bar showing it on a big screen. I also think our alcohol issues in comparison to elsewhere are actually overblown, I've seen plenty of drunk and aggressive people abroad. Time to let Irish adults decide for themselves what time they want to have a drink

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭francois

It was terribly biased, and that joker Yates claiming that license reform was "woke" was beyond a joke

Advertisement