Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs and Clubs to get longer opening hours

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

...have you been to Spain? Excluding tourist resorts full of Brits.

At 9, they're having dinner. They haven't gone out yet.

So, so much of Dublin's issues are related to everywhere kicking out at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Yeap, after closing time the Policía Local out patrolling in their White cars ensuring order on the streets..

Do you honestly think we will become "Spanish" overnight.. going out for dinner at 9pm and the pub at midnight? What would the pubs do to make up for the lack of early evening customers... We're Irish, many like to get out early and home early.. Thursdays now are the busiest times for pubs as the after work crowd now work from home on a Friday so things are changing..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You were wildly misrepresenting Spain initially. Why?

We'd adapt to a new reality pretty damn quick. The nanny staters told us that if Good Friday drinking was allowed it would be four days of mayhem unleashed.

Reality was that by year two, it was just another Friday of a Bank Holiday weekend - dead as dead can be. I'd be absolutely certain the amount of alcohol consumed on the day has crashed, as the "naughty" parties have been replaced by people not going to the pubs they can legally go to. I've even seen a pub - just one, so far - saying they're going back to closing, because there's no trade.

Same would happen with later opening. We'd have a few weekends of comparative madness and then it'd be like UK cities - very similar, if not worse, drinking culture; but music nightclubs opening til 6 is normal. No admission after ~2, people leave when they want to, no issues whatsoever.

Right, so according to you Late night licencing will solve the issues of limited night opening.. ok, good luck, probably won't get passed into law during this Government and if it does then will be subject to commercial demands, which is most Irish towns and villages won't even know the new laws exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Just absolutely ridiculous that a person can't get a drink at 4 or 5 am in a modern large capital city like Dublin.

• Advertisement

If it doesn't get taken up by nightclubs, it can't cause any of the dire issues that people are claiming will result. That is not a reason to not implement it.

We have to reduce the ridiculous babying around alcohol in this country if we don't want the obvious outcome of being babied - people acting like children. The current Government has brought in two ridiculous babying things (one, the seperate sections in shops, just makes alcohol even more alluring to actual children), they can at least bring this in to counterbalance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

O Cuiv on VM1 now giving out about the proposed changes.

Seems to be only coffin dodgers who are against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭bikeman1

It seems to me that many of the people opposing it are never next nor near a town or city centre that might have these later opening hours, and would have no intention to be there yet are very vocal about opposing it from their rural or suburbia house far away from such venues.

You’d swear this was something new, when I started going out in the mid 00’s many clubs had a “theatre” licence. I recall pegging it many times for the Nitelink to just about make the 04:30 last bus, because you could be served til 03:30 and in reality in those places it was 04:30 before you got out.

Then it was food and onto this early house place on the quays that opened around 06:30 and we left around 08:30 home on the early buses. This was all in Dublin.

Many places around Europe I’ve gone out in and had long nights out and also normal nights out. Different venues catered to different needs. Some closed early, some late and some bars even open 24 hours! And guess what? There was never this mad rush to drown oneself with alcohol to try and get drunk before you had to call it a night.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BagofWeed

You can see a lot of the usual innuendo and fear on display here from the nanny staters. There's a very domineering authoritarian control streak running through the psyche of a lot of folks here. It's a sick trait to have to be honest, it's close to what could be described as social bullying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Does this mean a 2 0'clock bird will become a 6 o'clock bird?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Ok - so back to the real world - anyone in favour of the “open all night” proposal - please addresses the concerns in my post point by point.

Or is it the case that ppl have no solutions but want to bull the changes through regardless of societal consequences?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

I'd say the Galway Hooker by Heuston as it opens at 7am but frustratingly it closes seemingly at random but you can never get served after around 6.50pm - annoying when trains are running till 11. I often get the 9pm to Cork and would love a pint or two as I wait.

Read the thread. Every point has been dealt with.

The societal consequences you think of are ones you have invented due to your personal prejudices.

I love a drink, the social aspect is waning due to the costs but a nice drink is relaxing.

I have never taken drugs - yet I support the legalisation/decriminalisation of cannabis, why ? Because it's none of my damn business what a grown adult does.

Alcohol can cause medical and societal problems; gambling can cause societal problems; so can drugs - so can addictions to anything!!

But when a tiny minority cannot handle it and millions can - why punish the majority ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

this thing slowly turning into some kind of culture war. embarrassing nonsense from our so called "free speech" advocates.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ironically in Spain the government to late bar is often the Irish pub 🤣

The UK also has 24hr drinking and their drink related public order problems are historically worse than ours.

And most Spanish people are only going out at 9/10 (after already having a lunch beer and a beer at home with dinner)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

The relationship between the Irish and the pub is changing. You’ll always have a market for a spot like Neary’s, but the era of men sitting along the counter hoovering back pints in a pub in BallyGobackwards is over. That sort of customer base is either in the ground or soon for it.

The modern customer wants exciting seasonal food, a selection of local beers, wine that doesn’t come from a 175ml Blossom Hill bottle, toilets that are fit for purpose, and staff who are happy to have your custom. Let’s not get romantic here about the average Irish boozer. No loss and the market is speaking loudly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just on the Spain comparison - non runner

Have been to Spain a number of times, have friends there - the typical Spanish attitude to alcohol is worlds away from the typical Irish.

“Like for like” would be something like Scotland

• Registered Users Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

No, no one is going to answer your questions about the cost of policing etc.

It's too difficult, it's much easier to keep saying "nanny state".

The UK has had this for two decades, I've no idea how it has worked other than it's still in place.

I don't know how many more or less places are open now than were open at the time it came in, I don't know if the UK attitude to drinking has changed the way it is changing here.

From a quick Google search about policing and opening times I found a piece about how some or other policing body told parliament about how the licensing laws had policing stretched, but that was from 2008, I could not immediately find anything more up to date.

I found something else from Norway that found that for every extra hour places stay open the number of violent incidents increased x%.

I'd say there is good data out there from the UK that will either help or hinder you make your point, you just have to look for it.

I'm not against extended opening, I think after time it will just settle down to be very few places that offer it.

And only in cities, in towns and villages, pubs are closing earlier now rather than later.

What's the legal opening times in Scotland ?

In most of the UK it's 24hr and the sky hasn't fallen in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭techman1

You’d swear this was something new, when I started going out in the mid 00’s many clubs had a “theatre” licence. I recall pegging it many times for the Nitelink to just about make the 04:30 last bus, because you could be served til 03:30 and in reality in those places it was 04:30 before you got out.

Spot on, you also had the whole leeson St scene, it was a bit seedy and not that great frankly, but it added a bit of thrill and excitement to the city, the same as you have all over Europe. Also tourists drawn here by Irelands reputation as a music and lively place are very surprised when everything is closed so early and alot of the venues that used to be around are gone.

I think in the 80s and 90s that scene carried on but the media and establishment were not thar interested but then the nanny state element in Ireland got alot more funding etc fron government and they began encroaching on things they personally didn't like. In any other country those voices would be there but they don't have the power and sway that they have here because we are essentially a small and parochial country

• Registered Users Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Thankfully im too old to really care but here is my 2 cents

There was always one or two very late spots, Lillys being one & because there was only a couple it meant if when you went it was pretty full, If there is loads of place open later , they will be mostly dead & the punters will be spread out over more places.

4am, recently increased from 3am. Scotland is another country with the babying attitude and direct resultant childlike behaviour; but is still able to realise that 2:30 is too early.

Yeap, late bars and in major cities would most likely be mostly full of people from the UK&Ireland..

I am also wondering for the establishments who apply to stay open late, will be subject to a "Late night levy?" With the price of paying for extra staff, security and floor persons to cover the later shifts and the levy, will punters be willing to pay a late admission charge of say €20, plus with the price rises Diageo announced mean that you'd be paying €10 a pint... Can't see many businesses making all that a commercial success..

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭TagoMago

TBH I doubt places outside of the bigger cities would avail of the 6am closing hours, this would be aimed at house and techno clubs, not Coppers style nightclubs. There would be a handful in Dublin, one or two in Cork, haven't been out to a club in Galway or Limerick in years so not sure if they still have places like this.

Not sure how the gardai shifts work, might be easier for them to deal with staggered groups rather than everyone spilling out onto the streets at once? A&E staff would definitely be on night shifts so don't think it would make much difference is a drunk person who injured themselves landed in at 2:45 or 4:45, in either case they'd probably be waiting for hours anyway?

Kinda hard to no invoke the "nanny state at it again" argument to the alcohol and drug addiction rates and drink driving points really, and don't really see how this would impact street crime and drug dealing.

As for labour, that's the venues issue, if it's not viable then they should stick with their current opening hours, no one would be forcing them to stay open.

As mentioned before England has had late opening hours for clubs for years, they have the same penchant for excessive alcohol consumption and rowdy behaviour as ourselves, and it doesn't seem to have caused a public health emergency over there.

That's not what I said. I said Irish bars not bars full of Irish people.

All my Spanish friends finish out the night in Irish bars and I have Irish friends who ran Irish pubs in major Spanish cities and their customers were mostly locals. Some in areas with little or practically no Irish population.

If these new late premises are not a success so what. They should at least be allowed try.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Such a levy exists in Liverpool, and probably other places.

Anything from £299 to £4,400 for a premises to open from 12am to 6am for at least one day of the year.

Money goes towards policing and street cleaning costs.

That's just the local council levy, there would obviously be extra costs for the venue itself, but that's where the economic argument of staying open comes in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭dalyboy

“Because it’s none of my damn business what a grown adult does”

While I agree with this opinion in principle I’m 100% against public use of cannabis (ie walking down a street , waiting to get served at an open air bar etc)

I have kids in competitive sports programs and the last thing I want is them being excluded & wrongly accused of having drugs in their system because some stranger polluted the air in their vicinity.

Additionally the smell of cannabis is stomach churning….

• Advertisement

Oh apologies - 100%! It makes me sick the smell and I hadn't thought of the implications for athletes.

Yes, home only for sure. Tbh I'm happy to start with medicinal use only at first - and see how it goes.

Advertisement