Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs and Clubs to get longer opening hours

Options
  • 25-10-2022 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭

So pubs are going to be given a license to operate every night until 12:30 and clubs until 6am it appears. While I don't particularly have an issue with this - though I do question the wisdom of having very late clubs (though that's somewhat moot as they are a dying breed anyway), what I am wondering is how policymakers can square this policy of making alcohol more available whilst at the same time operating a minimum unit pricing model.

To be honest, it seems grossly unfair on the consumer that pubs and clubs are given this special treatment while the man with a can is punished.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

There's a lot more to drill into this as in transport home, places will struggle to get staff to work that late more guards needed on the streets late at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Gimme a shot.

What about off licencing hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MunsterM

I thought the changes were only to opening times for pubs/clubs. It would be good if the shop hours changed also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Can't see myself staying out that late these days. I'm getting older. But it's still nice to see less restrictions- nobody wants a nanny state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Anybody know any decent bars in Dublin City to go to on a Tuesday night. Preferably some place with an atmosphere, open late and is not coppers or diceys.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Massive step in the right direction.

Having an entire city worth of drinkers clear out at exactly the same time is a disaster. A lot of them still raring to go at 2am which leads to all messing with over excited young people giddy on the streets.

This option means people can choose to finish when they are tired and ready for bed.

Also it's all optional and Ireland needs to move away from this stupid attitude that a place "has to" stay open until it's licensed time.

The only disappointment is it doesn't mention the stupid situation of cafes being allowed to sell wine but not beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

And what about when that State underfunds policing, as it clearly already does in relation to Dublin City centre (and plenty others no doubt) and a small percentage of pissed gobshytes fall out of said Clubs at 5 and 6am and subject poor buggers that have the misfortune to live and work near them to further so-called anti-social behaviour?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

the biggest thing here is not the hours, it's the eventual doing away with of the "extinguishment" system

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

So it's ok to stay out until 6am boozing in a club. Just don't you be buying alcohol from an off-license after 10pm. Makes sense.

Under current law they just fall out at 2 and wreck the place with not a Garda in sight.

This will reduce nightclub related anti social behavior. I'm 100% sure of that.

Another thing that needs to change.

Give people a further option and ease the cramming into late bars and clubs you don't even like for the sake of one more drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

If anything it should reduce alot of trouble...

For me the latest I can last is 1:30ish, but then you have people at 2,2:30 still full of beans being all let out at the same time, staggered crowds on the street should mean less hassle for taxis, which is were a lot fights happen and food outlets will be less congested

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Its been some year for the Vinters and publicans. The introduction of MUP and now this. Coupled with the fact you still wont be able to buy a few cans after 10 they really are doing well.

I havwle no issue with 12.30 tbh. Proper order. I do have a problem with 6 for the clubs. Thats nuts. What would have been wrong with 330 or 4?

Also off licenses should have been increased to 11 at a minimum. But that might take customers away from the pubs so couldnt do that.

Silly that you can order a pint in a club at 5.50am but cant buy a can in your local shop after 10pm.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Club last orders time will be 5. They will be allowed continuing playing music til 6

From being in clubs on the continent that have similar times, they often actually stop serving about 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

the publicans wouldnt like that and sure the only place you can buy alcohol responsibly is in the pub (which was their excuse when they wanted Off Licenses closed earlier)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

thats my take. We’ll need not just more Gardai working late at night but more Gardai overall.

would have been handy for me about 7 years ago when I was working and finishing late but..

Government have to be looking after their publican mates, families and the ‘industry’.

id say every Garda and a&e worker and a broader spectrum of medical professionals are just reading this news going ‘ffs, bunch of ****’..

A real stupid decision.

i remember Thursdays used to be late drinking about 20 years ago ? Why didn’t they just reinstate that ?

Why is 6 different to 4 ?

We need a system where people can choose going out and home time. Think beyond the current Irish attitude that open till 6 means everyone has to arrive at opening time and stay exactly to closing time.

Also not every club can or will get the 6am license and I'de say your average "place to get extra pssed" clubs won't be bothered to go for it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Likely to have the opposite effect if young lads aren’t beating the brakes off each other because they all rolled out onto the street at the same time.

also who stays out late on a Thursday when our overlords set the working hours 9-5 Mon-Fri for the majority of people.

There’s no Garda presence on the street anyway and the little Garda that are this will just make things easier as the ending time of clubs will be staggered.

• Advertisement

It will spread the intake into a&e if anything.

Also you are ignoring the fact that drinking and stumbling home does not stop at 2am not by a long shot. After parties are very common and those people some how manage to get home with out causing the apocalypse.

As for a&e staff and Gardai some of them might themselves be the people in the club till 6am. In fact now they and other late workers might actually have a life because everything won't be shut when they finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Isn't typical hospital shift change at 7am, so you won't have a&e staff that would otherwise have missed out getting to the club after work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Massive missed opportunity to extend opening hours till 2 on Friday and Saturday for regular pubs, that's the sweet spot for this oufella.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It will spread it over time yeah. But increase the numbers drastically is my guess. Because more people will be out

I do particularly take the point about late workers / unsociable shift workers of which I was one for a long time but i think people accepting those jobs / shifts are aware that pub possibilities are curtailed…I used to keep a few bottles of 1664 in the fridge for when I got back at 2.30 am or whatever. Not party time but it was a nice way to unwind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

MUP sprung out of an idea to protect the pubs not as a health issue

From the FG Manifesto in 2011

5. Community and Rural Affairs

5.3 Keeping Communities Vibrant

Supporting Irish Pubs: Fine Gael recognises the importance of the Irish pub for tourism, rural jobs and as a social outlet in communities across the country. We will support the local pub by banning the practice of below cost selling on alcohol, particularly by large supermarkets and the impact this has had on alcohol consumption and the viability of pubs.

fine-gael-ge-2011.pdf (thejournal.ie)

They're only delighted to screw over the entire society with MUP to get people back to pubs

8am in my experience but ya I was just speaking broadly of late workers. If I had my way drink would be 24 hours like the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭thefallingman

the problem is the coke people are taking to stay awake till all hours

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

That's the way it works here in Spain. Alcohol can't be bought in shops after 10pm. There are licenses available for bars/pubs/clubs to stay open until six or seven in the morning.

The option is there for places to stay open later but the actual number that do it isn't that many. It'd mostly be the massive clubs that can afford to. A lot of places close around four, though you'll always be able to find a place that's still going or a lock-in.

The result is a staggered going home and a lot less hassle on the streets in the early mornings. I'd see more fights over a weekend back in Bray than I've seen in the ten years I've been here. You do see people.who stay out all night but the percentage is a lot lower than back home. Also, having a longer night out means you don't drink as quick and don't get as messy. I learmt that the hard way when I first came over and assumed I needed to be hammered by two o'clock because thy were going to cut me off. When I realised i could stay out til six, at first, I went nut but I soon realised I couldn't be doing that and I became a far more relaxed drinker.

I'm all for it as a model.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I believe the thinking behind this is that it will revitalise nightlife, but that fundamentally misses why venues are struggling.

They struggle, not because they are not open long enough but because people aren't going to them at all. Dating apps have fundamentally destroyed their raison d'etre and they are too expensive.

Being open longer doesn't change either of those facts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,148 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Good news, not everywhere will stay open until 6am and most people won’t stay out that late anyway. People will head home in a more dispersed fashion between 3am and 6am so we won’t have everyone getting dumped out onto the streets at 2:30 resulting in congestion and anti social behaviour.

Advertisement