Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs and Clubs to get longer opening hours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,513 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

They don't have to open later. They just have to be given the choice.

The Irish need to get over the idea that the allowed opening times are mandatory.

Clubs closing at 2am never stopped drinking and drugging. Just moved it to houses in my experience.

These proposals will not magically create more people or more money but it will spread the same numbers over more time creating less surge problems for taxis, A&E etc.

Also very very few clubs are expected to go for the new times.

Speaking of Fabric and the likes. The vast majority of Londoners never go to them. I was in 6am clubs twice in my 10 years over there. Here we think everyone is gonna stay out till closing at 6am like we do for 2am

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Probably wouldn't do it myself anyway but I'm delighted it's happening. Plenty of times in college I would have loved to keep going until 4 or 5. Some of the best nights out I've ever had were on my Erasmus in Prague, remember going to some really good DJs in big venues and getting the early morning tram home after. Even though I could do it I rarely stayed out until 5 or 6 anyway.

Most places probably won't bother staying open until 6 due to staffing and lack of demand. However a lot of places might stay open until 3 30 or 4 instead of the ridiculously early times we have now. Hopefully it revitalizes the nightlife a bit because honestly Irish nightlife is pretty poor in comparison to many places in Europe. As for people drinking more, it eliminates the rush people have for horsing down a few more before closing and anyway later opening hours probably means people will adjust the time they go out, as is normal elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

There's always (in Dublin) Coppers and The Black Door if you want early morning drinks.

The changes are not just about times anyway. The real important part is the stupid system we have for procuring a licence and the time wasting being done to get late exemptions for night clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

The nightlife was always fairly poor here compared to Europe even when there was plenty of nightclubs. Longer opening hours won't make much of a difference at this stage in terms of improving the nightlife.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,414 ✭✭✭✭kippy

You have noticed the hundreds of pubs and clubs that have closed across the country over the past 15 years right? The trend was happening long before COVID as well.

The massive reduction in capacity would bring you to the logical conclusion that yes people are going out much less frequently than they used to.

Those that suggest that this is because of restrictive opening hours may have identified one minor reason but it's far from the main reason.

As others have said it's generally a mix of reasons. Cost on both sides of the equation is one. Pin overheads can be significant leading to higher end product cost.

I've no issues with this law change but it won't be the savour of our 'nighttime economy's and I dont see many venues actually utilising it.

The type of "big Saturday night out" drinking that most Boards posters would call the nighttime economy hasn't changed much.

What led to a huge hollowing out of traditional pubs in Ireland was the passing on of a generation of men who drank 7 nights a week. The multi pub village or bar on every city corner was never going to survive without them.

As for night clubs most offered very little other than a place to drink more and were hanging on only thanks to their monopoly. The late bars have been trouncing them over the last number of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,414 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Small towns, villages, rural areas have lost massive amounts of bars. One small mayo village that had 9 bars in 2004 is down to 1 now and that will close when its owners retire. You dont think that the residents of that village drink less frequently than the residents of the village in 2004 (they may drink more at home but later opening hours wont effect this)

Another area I am familiar with has gone from 24 pubs in the early 00's down to 7, the majority of which don;t open during the winter and open fairly short hours.

Galway City has gone from multiple late opening nightclubs that caters from the late teens right up to none (granted I think there are a couple reopening) and the few late bars in the city generally have policies excluding under 21's

There are countless other examples.

Longer opening hours wont turn those trends around.

Again, I am not against the law change - just pointing out that its too little, too late for a lot of businesses and not the right targeting that is required to "save" that economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,802 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Irish nightclubs were terrible. Black painted walls, a few mirrors, strip lights and drinks with a crazy markup.

"You don't think"

No I specifically said I do think. Most of those village pubs were propped up by a generation who drank every day. I don't know which villages you mean as you don't name names but some villages had 5 pubs for a population of about 500 people.

Most people hated nightclubs and what was on offer there so late bars are the way to go which the law will help.

An no I don't think it will reverse any trend. I don't think anything will do that and I said above this will not create more business. But these laws will make life easier for the pubs still open and way easier for anyone hoping to open one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,319 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

And some horrendous hybrid of Irish trad/country with trance music - or the Venga Boys - blaring away as ppl roar for shots ...

Yes, agreed.

There was an older generation who went to the pub at opening time every day and stayed there all day - frequent trips to the bookies during the day - and toddled off home around 8/9pm.

Most of these people have died off and afaik there is no “younger crop” coming up to replace them.

A sad, lonely, unhealthy existence but plenty pub owners up and down the country made a living out of these people.

Even the ones with jobs and families at home were hitting the pub every day after work.

And the local was the only choice. No wine or cocktail bar to change it up. little or no restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Annd9

Unfortunately you can't get into these places if you are actually from Dublin ......

• Registered Users Posts: 25,712 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Galway City has gone from multiple late opening nightclubs that caters from the late teens right up to none

This is just plain untrue. Apart from the required closures during Covid, Coyotes abd DNA have both stayed open.

And now Electric has reopened, and there's rumours that Cuba is reopening too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,069 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It's dead in the water.

The next government might modernise the laws.

Helen McEntee, who seems to be completely useless, isn't going to push this now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,414 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I find the above to be wrong on almost every point.

Irish pubs are not full of people fighting and violence. I would argue that it's quite rare in 99% of pubs in Ireland.

People said the same things years ago when 12.30 weekend opening was brought in and none of it turned out to be true.

Pressure would ease on taxis and buses as people’s leaving times would be staggered spread over a whole night and not everybody hitting the streets at the same time.

Also, if people are drinking and drugging then they're not going to be affected by licensing laws, they'd just do it anyway.

Post edited by murpho999 on

Ya this painting of the average customer as some feral animal needs to stop.

Sorry now, but have you any experience of working behind a bar or in a club?

You would be surprised what intoxicants do to people. Even the most unlikely types.

All night drink and drugging would turn even a timid mouse into a roaring lion.

Close to 20 years experience. Most of that in very busy pubs and most of them late venues. A few nightclubs too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭BagofWeed

Can't get over how they are trying to stop this. This obsession here about other people's business isn't healthy. Infantile nation. I rarely have radio or even RTE TV on but today put Radio 1 on about 5pm and Alcohol Action were moaning about it and just now on RTÉ News Up front they are on about it. People treated like children will behave like children.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,414 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Yes worked in bar for 12 years here. Saw one scuffle one night. Was handbags really.

Did a year in a bar in Australia and worked an Irish bar in Melbourne. Found it much rougher there and saw more fights there in a few weeks then I did in years in Ireland.

Your claims of prolonged drinking and drugging are just false. People will wither go home or go out later.

Post edited by murpho999 on

• Registered Users Posts: 34,026 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I'm in my early 50s, do I qualify?! 😀

If anything I think these proposals don't go far enough.

The nanny state approach to alcohol is completely the wrong approach. So what if you can give the right pub door a secret knock after hours and get a drink, ffs, when anyone who wants one can get one then there will be no novelty to it, and no more skulling a rake of pints at closing time either. You drink as much as you want to drink (within reason*) and go home when you want to go home, not because the nanny state is telling you it's time to go home. You are not hitting the takeaways at the same time as thousands of others, or looking for a taxi at the same time as thousands of others either. Also DART, Luas and key Dublin Bus routes should all operate 24 hours (a few buses now do, but a lot more need to, and a lot of the demand for these is workers not drinkers!)

[*] This means RSA (responsible serving of alcohol) like in Australia where venues will cut you off if you've had too much, and face fines if they don't.

It's already against the law to serve alcohol to a drunk person in Ireland but when does that ever happen!

Life ain't always empty.

So what. If some think they can make a go of it, there's no reason for the law to stop them.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Alcohol Action are the biggest shower of whingers. As unlikely as it is, I would love for them to be defunded. Sickens me that tax payers money is going towards them. Just because some people drink with wreckless abandon doesn't mean we should all suffer. They were given a remit to curb our national intake, but won't be happy until we are in some kind of state of prohibition!

What you are talking about is all a direct result of "closing time syndrome". Rapid consumption in a short time because of silly enforced early closing followed by lots of people with a large amount of alcohol recently in their bellies all hitting the streets at the same time.

Then you go on about drugs, as if that has anything to do with licensing hours. Laughable nonsense.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭beeker1

This 6am closing is a pipe dream ! I'd say there's only 2 shops who'll perhaps serve till 4am , by the time staff clean up they'll be exhausted , and mixing people headed to work with a crowd that's being chucked out at 6 in the morning is far from ideal , but vintners being the pigs that they may prove me wrong !

As the saying goes, there's none more pure than a reformed hoor.

Bunch of alkies trying to project their personal issues onto society as a whole. Can't stand the fact that almost everyone who enjoys a drink does not let it adversely affect their work or personal life.

Life ain't always empty.

So what?

It should be 24 hours. Let outlets choose when they open and close, if it's not profitable for them to open at a certain time then they won't.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,712 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

almost everyone who enjoys a drink does not let it adversely affect their work or personal life.

How many alcohol rehab places do you think are funded? How many people want a place but cannot get in?

How many hospital beds are tied up treating alcohol-related injuries and illnesses?

I like a drink. I take a couple, every 2nd or 3rd day. It p*sses me off that we have to have controls on alcohol. But I full accept that we do. Alcohol is an addictive toxin, which causes enormous social damage, not matter how much some people deny it.

Advertisement