Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭wassie

Great for anyone towing with an EV - can charge without having to unhitch.

And nice to see some shelters over the chargers. As a frequent user of public charging, Im so over getting wet these last couple of months when I stop to charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭zg3409

In theory yes if it works. The usual granny charging guidance is to slow charging rate moreif you can, check house end plug does not get warm, avoid extension leads or fully unreel them, ideally fit a brand new 3 pin socket on the house side and avoid old heavily used sockets that may be well worn. When stopping a charge unplug car end first. Try not to unplug house end instead leave it plugged in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,706 ✭✭✭✭josip

Interesting, why is it recommended to unplug from the car first, sparking ?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,061 ✭✭✭✭unkel

A type 2 (or type 1) cable locks at both ends, there is no way you can disconnect it while charging. But you can simply not lock the 3 pin plug of a granny cable, so you can pull it out while charging, which is not a great idea, but not likely to cause damage either. Better to unlock / unplug at the car end first as @zg3409 said

• Registered Users Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

It's amazing the lengths people without a driveway have to go to charge at home

Spotted one enterprising soul who has some raised trunking across the footpath which enabled them to hang an extension lead from a tree on the footpath and plug in a granny charger

I'm not going to say where it was because I don't want to cause trouble for anyone

If only we had planning laws that weren't insane and allowed people to install a charging post. You could mount it on a small pedestal sticking into the parking space so it doesn't take away from the footpath space

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

You can do that as long as you own the car parking space. And you need planning permission for it. Several regulars on this forum, including our very own moderator, have done so over the years.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

In addition to the lock(say the connector was damaged and wasn't able to lock)

One of the pins are shorter than the rest, (the CP one) and is first to disconnect and that will trigger the contactor in the charge point to open and stop the current.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Saw this recently. Apparently a Dutch product

The arm folds back into the post when not in use. I imagine it costs a bit though.

Without giving too much away, I'm pretty sure this wasn't an assigned space

It was a narrow road with narrow footpaths either side, no marked spaces at all. Cars were just parked wherever the owner could get close to their houses

I suspect that even if planning laws allowed on street chargers, this road would be disqualified anyway due to the lack of marked spaces

Personally I don't mind, you gotta do what you gotta do and the owner was doing what they could to avoid obstructing the footpath

Yeah I remember that one, it's a nice idea although I'm sure someone will manage to strangle themselves on it and try to claim compensation

We definitely never miss an opportunity for a lawsuit in this country 🙄

• Advertisement

That's why in the likes of the Netherlands there are several public slow charge points in many residential streets in areas where there is no private parking. Seems to work well. But these days many new EVs only need charging once a week or so - not hugely different from combustion cars. And then people can just use a public fast charger. Again, in the Netherlands, the likes of Tesla fast chargers cost only a few cent more per unit than the typical residential electricity rate

Well this particular car was a PHEV, so definitely a charge a day

At least they're trying, plenty of PHEVs near me that probably have the charging port rusted shut from lack of use

I agree about most people living in urban areas not needing a daily charge. I last charged to 80% on Saturday night and I'm still at 48%. Not allowing any more grid charging except for the weekends

I did manage a measly 3kWh of solar into the car this week. The rule of the weather is apparently that the sun shines whenever I'm away from the charger, and then immediately clouds up when I'm at home 😭

F**k it, at least the house is mostly fed from sunshine now, I'll call that a victory

Christ that sounds like an awful pain in the hole charging your PHEV like that every day. Reminds me of Mad Lad, late of this parish, who used to have to charge his Leaf 24kWh every day on his commute - working shifts 😯

What became of Mad Lad ? Do he go back to diesel after his i3?

Nah he sold it and bought a Volkswagen ID.3 - hope it didn't bore him to death 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭eagerv

No he bought a 77kWh ID.3, think he still has it.

There is at least one charge arm installed in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,639 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I know that NMD installed a few of them. A great idea IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 7,959 ✭✭✭Patser

Probably old news to some, but in Lidl on they are selling Type 2 charge cables, very reasonably at €120.

Part if the normalisation of EVs I hope

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Who'd of guessed that the real-world emissions from PHEVs are 250% more than the lab (WLTP) numbers. Consumption and emissions for Petrol and Diesel were much closer with a gap of 23.7% for petrol and 18.1% for diesel.

On the back of this real world date emissions calculations are likely to be updated to give a more accurate reflection of the electric utility factor (how much percentage of electric driving a given car is rated for)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Whatever about the cost of charging/ fuelling up- I hope the chargers are kept inaccessible to the internal hardware, software regularly updated and cant be hacked.

Very interesting video here:

https://youtu.be/J_6BZDnSpGE?si=IID2c5Vl-vTpk7r6

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

another case of lies lies and damn statistics

On the continent, and I think the UK to a large extent, a massive portion of new cars (i.e. first registration) are company cars. I saw a stat that for the Audi A4 something like 90% of buyers in Germany are non private buyers, insane compared to Ireland where private people prefer to take the hit on the massive depreciation when a car leaves the forecourt.

Anyhow, thats the system. Lads on a short lease of mostly company cars and a large chunk of them either getting a fuel card or able to bill expenses, are the ones driving the car for the first year or 18 months. They have no incentive to charge at home or even on the road. Its simpler for convienence and billing purposes to just fill with petrol and ignore the plug in hybid feature.

Thing is, when they sell it, people picking up a car in mint condition (but much much cheaper as the first owner took the big hit for you on depreciation) for private use are much more likely to care that the car runs efficiently, and for the 10+ years of the cars life it should be far nearer the manufacturers claimed CO2 emmisssions.

Ironically, if you did proper stats on EVs and hammered them on what their emmisions are for the first year, they'd be abysmal as their manufacturing CO2 emmissions take a few years to be compensated for through lower day by day emmissions - they also have to be seen over a 10+ year timeframe, not the first year it hits the road.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Ironically, if you did proper stats on EVs and hammered them on what their emmisions are for the first year, they'd be abysmal as their manufacturing CO2 emmissions take a few years to be compensated for through lower day by day emmissions - they also have to be seen over a 10+ year timeframe, not the first year it hits the road.

Latest estimates put it at about 17,000km depending on local grid conditions. Pretty much every EV has covered the manufacturing gap versus a comparable car in the first 50,000km of motoring.

They are facts, and yes facts can be presented in a way to suit an agenda, but at least there are quantified facts.

Here are some more facts that refute your "abysmal" and "a few years".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭innrain

Ironically some debates a study published by some regulator, don't take it lightly as there is a lot of lobby involved in impending publishing said study, with nothing but hearsay

My old EV was a London import EV. The public charging cable was never taken out of the bag so it's likely the owner or company only ever charged at work and home based on age and low mileage. The London congestion charges of around uk£20 per day was a great incentive to go full EV. Definitely the UK company cars were big into phev that were never plugged in due to incentives. Even in ROI at one stage it was cheaper to buy a PHEV than the same car non phev due to grants. These have changed since and minimum battery sizes for phev have increased a lot.

Interesting content, but I think there was some degree of sensationalism going on there

For example the idea that you can overheat an EV battery from the charger seems unlikely. The car controls the rate of current draw, not the charger

Also this idea you could take over the car from the charger seems pretty insane. Don't see how that's even remotely possible

Most likely attack vectors seem to be denial of service attacks, information theft or just messing people around. You might remember the Ukrainian company that got EV chargers in Russia to display anti war messages on their screens?

One thing I'd like to clear up is the idea that anyone can connect to a device that has a mobile data connection. This isn't really true, those devices typically have a special connection to the network operator which basically allows them to lock down their connectivity

So you generally can't just find out the number of the device and just connect in across the internet, and similarly they can't go connecting to Google or wherever

One final complaint, would WSJ learn how to conduct an interview properly? I hate this short form content where they edit a whole interview down to a few sentences. They literally cut the guy off mid sentence at one point

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Mad_Lad

I think back to those times and realise how Mad it actually was !!! I wouldn't do it again !

Good to see you back around pal. Still in the ID.3?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Mad_Lad

I have id3, 77 Kwh though never had 77 all the so called 77 Kwh had around 73 Kwh and I still have around 73 Kwh 2 years 5 months and 75,000 Kms later. I can still get from Carlow to Belfast from 100% charge and have 30% battery in less than ideal conditions and travelling the limit or a bit more and the heat up at 23c as usual !

Advertisement