Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭lukas8888

How many months left on the 5 and 25 rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭lukas8888

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Mad_Lad

Did you add to your array since I was last here ? what have you got in total ?

I wanted to install 9 Kw/p for around 8K last year but the boss said no, of course if I want to pay for it all I can go ahead lol, we split the bills as it is so in reality it's not costing a lot. I get free work charging, granted these days I don't have to be on site every day or for a full day but I get at least one trip or more for free.

Night time tariff is 22 c/Kwh, I know that's a lot more than the 7 c I was paying when I had the leaf and i3 and I know there are cheaper tariffs but I'm waiting for further reductions.

You'd think that anyone on a smart plan can get cheaper energy when the wind blows regardless of time ? why should they benefit with free energy and we not ? they're making a killing since the cost of gas went up so much and they get Taxpayer subsidies.

Anyway, if I needed a full charge 73 Kwh @22 C/Kwh it would cost 16 Euros and average efficiency is 18 Kwh/100 Km since I got it so average trip would get 330 Kms and that's not driving slow.

Lets compare to a diesel that gets 5.5 L/100 Kms = 18.18 Km per litre needing 18.13 Litres for 330 kms costing 32 Euros so yes the gap is a lot narrower now between electric and diesel compared to a few years ago and we all knew this was going to happen, but it signifyingly reduces the cost savings of EV over Diesel considering the cost of a new EV.

I have good roof space for south and west so the lad that came out said house is ideal, but the network needs to allow more solar on the grid, one of the neighbors has solar PV and I'm on the same transformer and I heard that it can be problematic connecting another house to the same transformer for feed to the grid, I don't know it never came up because they didn't have solar at the time the lad came out to see the house and give a quote.

This is where the Government should intervene because the only thing they are good at is increasing taxes not actually doing anything good.

Sure, most EV's currently don't support V2G but those that do should be treated like any other exporter, a big issue of course is the EVSE, Normal EVSE are cheap because they only send AC, V2G needs to convert the DC back to AC and this is not cheap and there's not many making these which is why they are so expensive but the tech is there.

Smart meters could be set automatically to give those with EV batteries cheap electricity when there is wind on the grid.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I wanted to install 9 Kw/p for around 8K last year but the boss said no

Since getting the solar installed (Oct 21), I've pretty much done about 99.98% of all clothes washes, and dishwashing in the house, because since getting solar I've managed the absolute féck out of it all to ensure maximum usage, minimal export/waste...(knowing when & when not to use certain appliances etc..) so if you were willing to do a bit of domestic graft, it could be a major selling point...

Between what I've generated (and used) and earned in deemed export last year, my system (€8,800) is already 50% paid off after only 2yrs, 5 months.

• Advertisement

No, I wouldn't be into all that messing about, I can see the benefit though.

How many Kw/p have you out of interest ?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,925 ✭✭✭✭unkel

It's a 2 year contract, mine started last September, so it ends September 2025. Not that contracts mean anything. If you can get a better deal somewhere else, just jump and pay the €50 fine. Last time I did that, it paid for itself in a week.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

There was a public consultation on IS10101 (electrical rules) and I believe the the whole V2G/V2H was mentioned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,130 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Interesting none the less.

Id be more thinking from the point of loading all EV Chargers at the same time that they’ve managed to hack causing fuses to pop further back the line which could cause outages in larger areas.

This could be all BS of course.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

AC charge points don't control the charging current sent to the car. The EVSE is effectively a smart relay that connects the AC charger on the car to an electrical supply.

The charge point advertises an amount of current that is available to the car by changing the resistance on signalling line. I suppose there's a possibility that a "smart" charge point that's software limited to a lower current than the circuit its installed on could be tricked into signalling that a higher current is available causing the car to draw more current than is available. However, in that case the over currant protection in the consumer unit would trip and cause the breaker to flip.

• Advertisement

This is interesting, I wonder will it have a lower than around 7,000 Euro price tag compared to the last V2G EVSE I saw ? can't remember the make and model of that.

https://wallbox.com/en_ie/quasar-2-bidirectional-ev-charger

"Volkswagen said it will be able to activate the vehicle-to-home function for ID vehicles already delivered as soon as these vehicles receive the new over-the-air 3.5 software update. Initially, the vehicle-to-home charging system can only be used with the S10 E Compact home power station from HagerEnergy GmbH. In the future, customers will be able to use a smaller bidirectional charging wallbox."

Yikes, couldn't imagine the cost of that, has a built in battery, in the quote above it said "the vehicle-to-home charging system can only be used with the S10 E Compact home power station from HagerEnergy GmbH"so I take it to mean that there's no sign of the smaller wallbox whether they meant wallbox the EVSE company or call it a wallbox, thing that mounts to the wall lol and it looks like the system might not be compatible with other bidirectional EVSE from other manufacturers.

The Germans are really lucky to have 3 phase to the home.

Either way seems such a waste to have a car capable of this and can't use it !

Don't exaggerate with the 3 phase though, it usually is 3 * 25A. Nice for charging your car with 11kW, but not an awful lot more than our 1 * 63A for a standard 12kVA connection. In fact most new houses here now have 16kVA or 80A consumer unit fuse

Don't forget the export limit in single phase is a major obstacle here, the German outlaws have 14 Kw/p exporting to the Grid, they'd have more only they have no more roof space.

+ if I had 3 phase I could export solar to the grid and buy it back to run storage or panel heaters in winter, yes I know HP is more efficient but the house is not suitable for HP, though HP can run off 3 phase also. As it stands now I don't think 80 amps would even be enough for car, house and storage heating. Although I am happy with the wood pellet stove to be honest.

Yes, 11 Kw charging would be handy at times or you could have 20 Kw DC lol.

Our 25c FIT is far more generous than net metering, where the best outcome is you still pay full standing charge but you have a zero bill for units (this can not go negative)

Here you can actually make money on your electricity. A negative total cost of electricity, including standing charge 😀

And export limit not a problem. You can export 21 hours * 5.5kW = 115kWh per day (which nets you almost €30)

You would need an enormous setup for that not to be enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭eagerv

I am happy with the solar car charging this afternoon. Have put in 10% surplus to my 60kWh battery in about 3 hours. Not bad for a modest 4kWp system on a slightly cloudy day at roughly the equinox..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Between today and yesterday I’ve put 15kWh in the car from solar, which is over 100km or range, and over the 2 days only driven about 20km…

I will not need to grid charge the car now until at least mid April (and only then if the weather is crap) as I’ve now enough to get us up to Thursday when we go away, so car will be left plugged in for 10 days, so we’ll no doubt come back to it full..

Last year I went from April 1st - July 5th with 100% of charging coming from solar, so there’s a very good chance I’m now already back in that window of free driving for the next few months…

Anyone with an EV, off street parking and a roof, and not having solar is mad…

I think @unkel has a solar lawn at this stage...😁

btw good to see you back Mad_lad

Post edited by eagerv on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Yes sounds like BS. The car decides what amps to take from the charger based on what’s available.

Of you could “hack” the chargepoint to allow 400a, the car still decides to only take 32a of those.

• Advertisement

Not enough to test the maximum allowed export of 5.5kW (times 21h)

If it could be done for a tenner, I would! 😂

We have a perfect back garden, with the rear ditch ideal for a lot of panels due south facing. Raised up they would catch the sun almost all year for almost all of the day.

But unfortunately the missus would prefer to look at unimportant things such as flowering shrubs and other green things..😋

I've seen some big solar PV farms in Germany and they really are the most hideous thing ever, turning green fields black.

I got lots of room for solar too but the main issue is you can't export it to the grid, only what 5 kw ? that's an absolute joke.

However, at the bottom of my garden I got a pole with 20 Kv but the cost of putting transformer and connecting up would be mad.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

25 amps is the max for the NC6 which technically is 5.75kWish but they don't make inverters that size.

You can get close to your MIC with an NC7, and I think export limiting is also allowed too. But that costs 1500ish

I had to look that up lol.

"If your microgeneration system is less than 6kW for single phase electricity or less than 11 kW for three phase, you should use the NC6 form. If your microgeneration system is greater than 6kW for single phase electricity (or 11 kW for three-phase) but not more than 50kW, you should use the NC7 form."

So you can export more than 6 Kw on single phase, did it say up to 50 Kw or is that for 3 phase ? it didn't make that clear.

You don't seem to understand that even with just an NC6, you can export over 115kWh per day. The sun don't shine 21h a day, so you obviously need a big battery for that too. Store during the day whatever you produce over 5.5kW and dump it during the less / non productive hours

The idea is to get as much solar as I can to buy back in Winter, export during the sunny months, our consumption is around 9 Mwh a year could be more at this stage. On cloudier days the larger array will still produce more. That's my thinking of it.

The aim is to export as much as possible. That works financially a lot better than self use. Perverted as it is, it's far cheaper to heat your house with 10c gas than with 5c night rate electricity. Because you can export the latter and get paid 25c. Same applies to immersion diversion.

But yes the more PV you get, the quicker the payback period. And to save you doing the sums, to export 115kWh in one day on the best day of the year, you would need about a 14kwp array (producing 14MWh per year)

• Advertisement

Yeah 14 Kw/p and much more is do-a-ble, space wise, but the question is cost. If I remember correctly I was quoted around 8 K for 8 Kwh and battery. Question is if I can get herself to cough up to half the cost but she wasn't interested last year but a couple of bills later and I think she's beginning to see the light.

So I could go with NC7, I wasn't aware that you can go over 6 Kw on single phase, this wasn't the case but obviously changed thankfully or I just wasn't aware about it.

I wonder are wind turbine installations still insane ? I Remember years ago it would cost 30 K Euro's for just 3 Kw turbine.

Advertisement