Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,627 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

If I lived near to a supercharger and it wasnt needed every day then I'd consider it. But it removes the most convenient part of EV ownership, you never need to think about filling up unless you're driving past the car's range. Speaking for myself, however, who doesn't live near a supercharger and has a number of 200-250km trips on a regular basis, I would pay the 2k premium for the diesel if I couldnt charge at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,048 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Agreed. First thing I ask if someone is looking for my opinion if they should buy an EV is: "do you have home or work charging?"

If no, then I would tell them not to buy an EV...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,862 ✭✭✭CoBo55

That's what I say as well when I'm asked, no home charging, don't buy.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Meanwhile in Limerick…

• Registered Users Posts: 10,995 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

What do folks reckon the best charging cards or apps for Ireland are by coverage?

Ecars obviously has the best spread of chargers, but only covers their own network

EasyGo has slightly more coverage but also leaves out some of the bigger players like Ionity

AG don't seem to be have any roaming agreements, but they also take debit cards so not the worst

Circle K seem to be debit card only

Then there's Chargepoint, Monta, Weev, E-Power and others which seem to have varying roaming agreements with some Irish networks

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

I Pace was probably nearing the end of the road anyway, it's a nice car but quickly becoming outdated by similar priced rivals

Worth remembering Jaguar is one part of JLR so there'll still be plenty of petrol or diesel Range Rovers to keep the money flowing in

So it seems more like Jaguar is being positioned as the EV only brand within the group, which is probably a smart move because when it comes time to move the rest of the brands on they'll have experience developing big electric SUVs already

@the_amazing_raisin - "Worth remembering Jaguar is one part of JLR so there'll still be plenty of petrol or diesel Range Rovers to keep the money flowing in"

Didn't car snob Harry Metcalfe recently give up his EV and bought a £150k RR diesel because it made more financial sense? LOL according to him, conveniently he didn't show any of the math behind that. Some people and their money 😂 His depreciation will be off the scale on that yoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭innrain

There is no universal solution. The Irish CPO map is very balkanized, with limited roaming. Easygo got roaming with ESB because they both are under the egrieve but only one way. EPower, Gocharge are under the plugsurfing umbrella. AG and Circle K are with no one. I think Circle K will come with an app in the near future. They have more unconnected chargers than live at this stage. When they'll go live it will look like an explosion. Monta/ubitricity/pod point/shell/eo/blink are small player in Ireland. Plugsurfing and Chargepoint have lots of roaming but can be expensive. Also I do not like the fact that the prices vary for each charging point. Ex with plugsurfing the charger at Dublin Airport long term carparks costs 0.3/kWh at Dublin Airport Carlton Hotel is 0.69/kWh and Dublin Airport ESB one is 0.9112/kWh. Not to mention the penalties.

I used to use elli which covered esb and most of plugsurfing roaming network at very decent price. Single price/single overstay per charging type. Unfortunately the contract ended in December and the new prices are untouchable.

A cynical person may be inclined to think it makes financial sense when you include the YouTube sponsorship deal

"This video was brought to you by BP corporation, bringing you life changing experiences like Deepwater Horizon" 😏

Speaking of depreciation and having heads buried in sand, spotted Bright Ford selling a used 221 ID.3 for €37k! I honestly did a double take thinking I'd misread it

Some dreamer there, you can get a new one for that price. Reckon some salesman gave a trade in price well over market thinking he could get a quick sale and turn a profit. Now he has to deal with this annoying thing called reality

I was tempted to go in and offer €20k just to see the look of annoyance on their faces 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭obi604

in regard to toll tags from the likes of companies like easytrip etc

are the tolls cheaper when you have an electric car?

Not anymore unfortunately, the scheme ended last year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭obi604

ah damn it. 😞

are any one of these companies better than the other or are they all the one?

Well the tolls are the same regardless of which company you pick

It's more down to how you pay and what any monthly fees are

Eflow is bill pay for example, and Easy trip uses prepaid credit

There are some differences is which roads are covered which mostly seems to boil down to whichever county council is having an argument with the toll tag company

• Registered Users Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭zg3409

It depends how often you go through the toll. And how often you go through M50 toll. Most have a monthly , one has no fee but adds 10% to toll cost. Most offer discounts compared to paying cash. Google toll compared to see all providers. Beware hidden fees, monthly fees, vat

• Registered Users Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭markpb

I never heard the last part before. I thought eToll meant that any tag would work at any toll in the country? And I’m fairly sure that county councils, other than DCC don’t have anything to do with tolls.

It's pretty rare, but it happens every so often

For example

That was a few years ago, and they seem to have gotten better at avoiding disputes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Casati

Depreciation will be cruel for sure, but it’s not his problem as he said he was leasing - the lease cost on the PHEV was hundreds more per month - can’t remember exactly but his saving running the diesel was substantial including fuel cost.

I often can’t believe the low low lease rates they get in England, stuff like M4’s look almost affordable

If in doubt, sue 🙄

Maybe it was an EV that started the fire, but the case as described seems to amount to "EVs on board, therefore they started fire"

It'll be interesting to see if the shipping company brings any actual proof with their case

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭sk8board

if you watched the video he went into a lot of detail on the numbers. It’s pretty simple - the lease monthlies on the hybrid were bonkers versus the diesel and he’d never do enough miles to recoup the cost.

imagine someone spending their own money on a car you don’t agree with yourself …..🙄

• Advertisement

Ah yeah I knew there was something funny. Now you remind me, I do remember. Leased. A mistake often made though that monthly lease payments are costs. They are not. Well not taken out of the context of the entire contract anyway.

Personally I would never take out finance to buy a car or long term rent or lease a car.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

So if not costs, what are they: you have 4 choices

Asset/Liability/Income/cost

Perhaps they are goodwill under IFRS 3

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

It's not that straight forward. Depends on the lease. But a general error a lot of people make is to class loan repayments as costs. They are not. Depreciation / interest / opportunity costs of money, etc. are costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Casati

Think it’s clear you are mixed up between loans and leasing. Leasing is effectively long term renting where item leased remains the property of the leasing company through to the end of the term. It’s extremely popular in the UK due to fantastic lease deals that are very common. In Ireland it’s only really used for company car purchases. Lease cost are absolutely a cost.

You might like to buy an older car with cash, but some very smart people use their cash to buy increasing assets that provide an income. They then use the income generated to cover the lease cost of deprecating assets - which Range Rovers certainly are. Pros and Cons to both but I certainly wouldn’t be casting judgement on somebody likes Harry’s choice in this regard.

I'm not mixed up ;-)

And yes I know the argument people use for justifying the choice of leasing / renting vs buying in that they can make more money elsewhere if they don't tie up their capital. From my experience in industry, this is often fanciful

Can't help but think of this site when people talk about leasing

The greatest the internet has to offer 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Well that trip back to the 1990s was fun. Thank you. 😶

If you open the page source there's a few more Easter eggs 😁

The biggest irony is that that website is probably the easiest car leasing site I've ever seen (assuming you don't have photo sensitive epilepsy)

In about 60 seconds, I figured out I could get a red ID.3 for £383 per month for 4 years and 9 months upfront

Is that a good price? Probably not, but I don't know because every other car site I've ever used is full of lovely JavaScript animations telling me how the car is dynamic in corners and does 0-60 in X seconds but makes me jump through 50 hoops to find out how much it costs 😬

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

hear me out...

vehicle: 2022-2023 tesla m3 60kWh

return trip to dublin three times a week (not necessarily consecutive days), each 403km trip consists of 90mins on motorway and 30 mins on regional road.

Leaving home with 100% battery (LFP so should be fine to charge to 100%) abrp says a stop at ballacolla to add 11kW of juice is required on the return trip with 54kW needed (approx. 8 hours on a 7kW charger) when i get home to bring the battery back up to 100% for the next morning.

using my current flogas tariff with a night rate of 20 cents and the tesla suc rate of 49 cents i estimate the return journey to cost €16 per day, €48 per week (3 trips) and €2,234 per year (46 weeks).

my current 1.0 seat ateca costs at present €40 per day, €120 per week (3 trips) and €5,515 per year (46 weeks) which is a whopping difference of €3,321 per year.

my first question: do my maths add up, does the above sound about right?

second question: if i can save €3,321 per year by doing the 50k journey and keep the car for 3 years it'll have 150k on the odometer by the end of year 3 plus whatever was on it when bought second hand... so lets say 200k on the odometer. are there any known issues with model 3's with that sort of mileage? i would look to sell at that stage and buy another 2 year old using cash from the sale plus the fuel savings which i estimate would be a total of circa 28-32k to put towards the next car - i reckon a 5 year old m3 with that sort of mileage would be worth 18 to 22k (probably closer to 18k tbh).

third question: a LR could just about do it without stopping (7% left)...saving €780 per year....would it be worth looking at picking up a 2 year old LR instead? they can't be charged to 100% right?

fourth question: is this all bonkers? lol

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

Advertisement