Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Mad_Lad

Nice to chat again Unkel, I was inspired by a member here to come back. yes still have the id3 tour 5, good solid reliable car but the software, ergonomics are still really crap. The missus is driving it while the Outlander is in for Clutch work, it's driving her bonkers it's actually funny to see her so frustrated over a car lol .

75000 Kms now, battery as good as new, 73 Kwh new 73 Kwh now. the 82 Kwh cars never had 77 Kwh available. I'd have a lot more kms only doing a lot of work from home last year and new job the last 3 weeks means I still get to do a lot of remote work.

I do miss the Rex sometimes and still take the outlander at times by order of my German Führer ! but in all honesty there are still many places I can't be bothered to take even an EV with such good range as the id3 tour 5.

And yes, the id3 is kind of boring, it's a commuter, family work horse nothing more. Too heavy really to be much fun, it's what, 2 tonne ?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,925 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Near double the weight of my i3 😁

That doesn't have REx, has only the 60Ah battery for added lightness and doesn't even have CCS charging. Best of the lot of them, I drive it like a lunatic!

Must be a hoot alright, the T5 feels like an absolute tank compared to even the i3 rex, though I don't miss it blowing around on the motorway, the id3 is so heavy it's a real nice ride on a motorway with any form of wind.

I sure wouldn't like to be an ICE driver having a head on with one of these big battery EV beasts.

There's more biofuel coming now and rumours of eFuel, efuel is worthy of it's own thread but I'd hope the Rex concept in other electric cars could live on as a result for those who would want such a thing of course. I had hoped for much better by 2024 when I got the leaf in 2015, in fact, I thought things would have changed a lot earlier but they haven't, we got crazy expensive cars now and 3 times the cost for night time electricity, I haven't switched yet to cheaper provider as I'm hoping for further reductions. I'm with Energia.

And I was shocked to see Energia have ditched the full time night rate reduction and it's not 4 hrs only with more expensive full night rate tariff, we're really being shafted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭fafy

Very Welcome back ! You were one of those who talked about the i3 a lot a few years back, and educated tours truly, on the car, i have a 120 Ah, almost 3 years now, what a great and fun car.

Am also with Energia day/night, and thinking of moving to a smart tarriff, to maybe Pinergy Lifestyle ‘EV Drive Time’ with 5 cent for 3 hours, if i get the batteries added to my PV system.

@[Deleted User] - "3 times the cost for night time electricity"

Eh? I pay 5c nightrate. And that's all I ever use. And I get paid 25c for exporting. Right now I am exporting 5kW to the grid, only to charge up again at 2AM. My electricity provider is paying ME a big bill this year 😂

• Advertisement

Thanks for the welcome back !

5c 3 hrs, where did the full term off peak go ?

5c with whom ? and is that 11 pm - 8 am ?

I tried to get solar PV but my German Finance Minister said Nein !

Pinergy community rate. Offer still available and you get a €100 welcome bonus too. It's a smart plan for smart meters and the cheap rate is only between 2AM and 5AM

02:00 is the new 15kW o'clock, coming up in a few minutes 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I think the day rate is extortionate (is it 40c or something?), so it's probably for solar users only

We moved to board gais Ev rate recently, 7c for 3 hours which covers all our driving.

Estimating €13.50 for a 1050km worth of driving seems pretty decent! That's allowing for an efficiency of 16kWh per 100 (which seems to be the absolute worst case scenario we've seen, on motorway in the cold) and a 10% charger inefficiency, so it could well be chepaer

First year of fuel savings will basically go straight towards the cost of the charger install, but year 2 will be all gravy 😅

• Advertisement

16 Kwh/100 km on the motorway in what EV ? certainly not at 120 Km/hr.

Considering the cost of new electrics now it certainly makes 2nd hand diesel a far more attractive option, in fact, for lower mileage drivers, EV makes absolutely no sense at all from a cost saving perspective.

3 - 4 hr cheap window doesn't cut it for me and as you say they make up for it by screwing people on the day rate.

The cheeky Government are raising the cost of petrol and diesel by around 15c/l over the next year due to carbon and excise increases or is it just carbon ? I don't remember, this is ridiculous and an obnoxious thing to do to people who have to drive ICE cars.

Biofuels are making a come back and we might possibly see efuels, will the Government put such outrageous tax on these fuels too which are probably greener than making batteries at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭wassie

I have a few IOT devices around the house that I dont trust, including my home charger. As a result, I operate them on my Guest wifi network so it is separate from home network. Its not a fool-proof security measure as my network could still be compromised by someone with decent hacking capabilities, but it does help minimise the low-level threats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Dunnes doing a special offer on aluminium foil this week as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Ioniq 38.

But you're right to doubt me! I went through my messages to my wife and the usage the week I was doing 90% motorway (at 120) was 16.8.

I'm very confident our average consumption will be less than 16 though as 3 weeks out of 4 we just use it for the local school runs and it's usually in the 11-14 kind of range for that. My wife even sent a photo at the school one day of less than 10

• Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭KCross

One thing I'd like to clear up is the idea that anyone can connect to a device that has a mobile data connection. This isn't really true, those devices typically have a special connection to the network operator which basically allows them to lock down their connectivity

"typically" is the appropriate word there.

The Leaf had a glaring hole in its security where anyone could communicate with any Leaf (turn on heating etc) anywhere in the world by simply knowing the VIN of the car, which is displayed on the windscreen so easily scraped.

They plugged the gap once it became known, but companies quite often dont take security seriously.

@witnessmenow - "I think the day rate is extortionate (is it 40c or something?), so it's probably for solar users only"

Yeah around 40c. Not relevant to me, I only ever buy at 5c. And no, you don't need solar to only use 5c electricity, but you do need a home battery that is large enough to charge up at night what you are going to use during the day. You do need an officially ESB registered solar installation, to avail of the extremely generous feed in tariff though (getting paid for export)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Now is around the time when I'm gradually reducing the rate at which my battery charges at as I might only need it to be at ~40% by 8am when my day rate period starts to have just enough in it to get me to a time when the panels start generating enough to cover the house load and also start charging the battery, but as its going to be my first solar summer with a smart (day/night) meter (so metered export) and given my export rate is €0.21/kWh, and my night rate is €0.17/kWh, I'm thinking from an economical point of view I should still be charging my home battery to 100% every night, and doing all my car charging, and clothes/dish washing during the night rate as well thus maximising the amount I export the following day because for every kWh I continue to use the previous night, is a kWh I will export and earn ~€0.04 on the next day... but from an environmental point of view I'm thinking I should screw that 4c saving and try to use as little from the grid as possible!!

As I type this my Eddi just kicked in beside me here, so the battery is now full (from 42% at 8am), 2 clothes washes and 3 dishwasher cycles have been run, so I've just ran down and plugged in the car and it's now charging at 2.3kW, which will give me roughly 4.6% an hour.. or 15km/h of range.. and I should get at least 10%-15% in it today.

I like saving money but I also like driving around on the sun and using it to wash and cook things.... total mileage today will only be 5.2km, so I end the day with more range than I started the day with.. and I like that. but I also like saving money!!

I use the car for that only the EVSE to allow bi directional charging currently stands at around 7 or 8,000 Euros of course, I think there is only one that I know of. It would be fantastic to use the id3 for this as it's already enabled.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Yes, you should soak all night rate to bring battery to max along with dishwasher/EV etc and then export to the max of your NC6, does not make sense anymore to consume PV into battery unless excess above NC6

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Absolutely and anyone who doesn't have all their Iot devices on Guest is mad !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭browne_rob5

Yes use the night rate. Somebody else is using what you are generating and its better overall for the environment as you are balancing out pressure on the grid.

I got 16 Kwh/100 Kms average total trip from Carlow to the work site here in Blanch doing speed limits and more on N7 some 130 stints on M9.

In your case with 17c import and 21c export, the 20% or so round trip losses of storing night rate in your battery and then exporting to the grid during the day, kill any profit that you may have. Plus put unnecessary cycles on the battery and use on the inverter.

In my case with 5c import and 25c export, it's a different story!

Too much effort, I'd rather pay for diesel !🤣

My electricity company pays for all the fuel for all my 3 EVs. For all my hot water, for some home heating, for all my home electricity and then they give me a couple grand in cash on top. But you rather pay for your own? 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I'm still charging the home battery to 100% for now, but we'll see how the next month goes

It's a pain to climb up to the attic and we've enough rubbish days still that I'd like to have the battery topped up

Car has been charging from solar all day, has 10kWh already. I'll probably cancel the grid charging on the Zappi tonight as the forecast is looking good for the weekend

The way I'm looking at it is that worst case I'm getting very cheap electricity, and with the smart meter there isn't the same pressure to use everything you generate. At least if I end up exporting a lot one day then I'll be paid for it

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

plugs car in, car charges.

/fin

I actually had to put diesel in my BMW about 2 weeks ago (first time in about 5 months), and it was horrible... took me ages to wash the smell of diesel off my hand!!! and a bit of a shock too when totting up the weekly finances to see a €50 debit from a petrol station!! would hate to see that every week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭wassie

Whats the biggest impediment to V2G adoption at the moment? Is it that we dont have the regulatory framework inplace yet?

It's a pain to climb up to the attic

This. even though my attic is converted, I still had to climb into a press thats full of **** (theres a fcking boat up there!!) to change the inverter settings, but since getting Solis to give me remote access to these settings via the app it's been game changing... I can adjust it in seconds via the app, so if I know the next day will be a sh1tty day, I can set the battery to fully charge..

3kWh/6% already in the car...

• Advertisement

Nope, no legal framework required. I was using a rudimentary home made V2G system 2 years ago. Obviously you only get paid for export if you are registered with the ESB with at least an NC6 setup

The biggest impedements for mass adoption are:

1. most EVs do not have bi-directional AC charging
    2. most home charge points do not have bi-directional AC charging (and you obviously need both 1. and 2.)
    3. there is no agreed bi-directional protocol yet for fast DC CCS charging
    4. there is an agreed bi-directional protocol for fast DC CHAdeMO charging and the hardware is readily available, but costs several grand (excluding install - and you will not find anyone to officially install this for you). And of course you would need to own a Nissan Leaf or the likes for this 😂

Advertisement