Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum on Gender Equality (THREADBANS IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

She said on radio that members of the public were asking her various questions about the meaning of 'durable relationship' and that as a barrister by training, she found herself unable to answer these questions with certainty. Therefore concluded she'd vote against it.

Whatever about the bar room lawyers here, that is damning of this government administration, that they would choose a wording that their very own public reps with legal training could not explain.

Who is going to stand up and take responsibility for this?? Varadkar has to be in line as does O'Gorman. Both should go.

Of course the 'opposition' parties are in a bit of a bind as they sheepishly rowed in behind these proposals. But really they should be going for the jugulars on this matter and demanding resignations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Which is exactly what she has said.

It really is shocking that someone could be out campaigning for something before they even understand what it is. She may well have won a few Yes votes for it.

What a dangerous fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

• Advertisement

Ah I can't say that I follow Gript. That's how we missed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

And there are picture available on Twitter of Lisa out campaigning and holding yes/yes leaflets.mehole threw her failed political career a lifeline with a Seanad seat and putting her on eu ticket even though she won’t get anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭Augme

The Supreme Court are responsible for defining the Constitution, no one else. It will always be the Supreme Court who will decide. Hence the reason we still have cases coning before the Supreme court where they are required to define and interperpret the Constitution. And of course it applies to single parents, I have no idea why you think it wouldn't have been

No one will ever truly know the outcome of a Constitutional change of this nature, there's always going be an element of uncertainty. The same way there is an element of uncertainty with lots of things in life.

"Accused people" lol, it's not a crime to be religious. I think you need to stop projecting. There's nothing wrong with being religious and nothing wrong with not understanding something. The amount of people now jumping on the Aontu bandwagon following the result says a lot tbh. But yes, like marraige and family are.ovviously completely unrelated to religion....

If people keep quoting me I'm going to give them the decency of a response.

I never claimed they are nitwits, again, I think maybe you are projecting here. No one knows everything, that's a fact of life. Leo was completely right when he said a big issue was that people didn't understand the words of the proposal. I was surprised that got such an outraged response. The people coming on claiming that was never the case was just lol.

Not pushed what Lisa Chambers opinion is, I have no time for some who isn't willing to commit to the courage of their convictions. I feel embarrassed for her and Willie O'Dea coming out with this after the fact. Do you think she would have said she voted no if it was two Yes? We all know the answer to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,156 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The audience appeared to boo when Katie Hannon said Roderic O'Gorman couldn't attend.

He's both toxic and invisible it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,156 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

National Women's Council have gone missing.

Absolute joke of an organisation for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,586 ✭✭✭Floppybits

How she could she be trusted in the first place after her carry on in the voting fiasco in the Dàil? She is the Regina Doherty of FF. Think what ever chance she had of getting to Europe have gone now.

Politicians have lowered the bar so low now none of them can be trusted. They have no problems disrespecting the Dàil by coming in and lying or breaking rules like leaking confidential documents and then TDs vote confidence in them. All coming back to bite them now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Northernlily

She said AG advice was not released to her or any other party members.... hmmmmmmmm

There is snakes in the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,524 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I don’t understand what Rodders means when he says “progressive group”.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭kippy

You stated earlier that you did your research and were content that you knew what a durable relationship was, now you say the Supreme court are responsible for defining what a durable relationship is and that there's always going to be an element of uncertaintity with a lot of things in life.

Prior to all this you state that "durable relationships" applies to single parents.

Have a look at that - read it over and tell me how it looks? These statements make no sense when read together. I don't think you know yourself where you stand on "durable relationships" and how relevant your own research was.

Religion has nothing to do with this vote - look at the above lines from yourself to see why many sane people would reject something of this nature.

Agree with you re Chambers and O Dea. There were a couple more I'd add to this expanding group also who I have little time for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Looks like little 'Princess woke' (Holly C) has gone to ground too - She's been stage managed to within an inch of her life these days.

If you think the Greens were the little tail wagging the big Govt dog (and they were), wait and see what the SDs would be like if they became the king makers - They must never get that chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,586 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Really is very little choice out there for people who are not supporters of any party. FF/FG can't be trusted, SF have lost their way trying to appeal to FF and the smaller party's like the Greens and Soc Dems are very dangerous as we have seen with the way the Greens have carried on in government. I would dread to think what the Soc Dems would be like. Then there are the likes of PBP who I wouldn't vote for anyway.

I am content that I know what a durable relationship. I'm also content to leave the house tomorrow and not get killed. But there's a level of uncertainty to that though, its not a guarantee. Plenty of people leave there house thinking they'll come back that evening, and everyday people don't. That life, that's a risk we take. Also, anytime anyone goes to court there's uncertainty, you can have the strongest, best case in the world but there's always a risk when someone else is making that decision.

More importantly, I'm far more content to let the some of the most knowledgeable and gifted legal experts in Ireland have the final say on what durable relationship means rather than a bunch of TDs do it. The Supreme Court have always done a fantastic job protecting the citizens of Ireland from the State and have always done their best to drag the State away from the bussom of the Catholic church, I have huge respect for it as an institution.

Who is saying durable relationship doesn't apply to single parents?

There are lots of reasons many sane people voted no, I've never claimed otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Would it have anything to do with the upcoming European elections and the mood of the people over this referendum, the old saying hitch your horse to the wagon comes to mind, I could say I voted 3 times and who’s to know which is my ballot paper.

So what is a durable relationship and how can you be so certain that is what it is if more knowledgeable people than any of us have yet to rule on it or indeed if single parents will fall under this ruling?

You continue to bring 'uncertainty' into it, the irony.

I don't have any views on the sanity or otherwise of religious people and again, don't get the relevance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭deirdremf

But this can't be written off as a protest vote.

In one referendum 26% voted yes and in the other just over 32%.

But the reality is much worse for the government: the percentage of the ELECTORATE that voted yes was 11.6% and 13.7%. In other words, over 85% of people were not convinced by the 'arguments' put forward by the government! It's the opposite of a protest vote; in reality a small minority protested against the current articles, the great majority prefers the situation as it is to the weasel words Varadkar, O'Gorman et al wanted to insert into the constitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Are we to take from that, that the bould Rod is spreading Fake Nooz?

It's a relationship between a husband and his mistress, and also between a family and their local postman. But at this stage it doesn't matter what it is anyway. As to why would single parents have not fallen under it, maybe someday somemone will give me a reason why, but so far ive not seen one.

I'm certain of how the law works, that's good enough for me.

Given your own understanding of the term, surely you can see from that understanding why a single parent family may not fall under it....

But sure lookit so long as you are certain of how the law works, us mere plebs can continue to worry about increased uncertainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Oh I know. I'm just putting out an awareness alert that Holly has gone to ground and that in itself, should be a warning sign. Her handlers have noticed the turning tide this weekend and are keeping her out of the limelight - It's only a few weeks ago she was banging on about 'pre-famine population in Ireland and we're not full' - y'know, schoolyard stuff.

Speaking of handlers and advisers of all the parties - They have to be the dumbest bastards of all (baring the people they're advising). They are the ones that should be reading the room and getting the pulse of the nation, but no, these highly paid muppets (that we pay for) seem to be simply 'Yes men' - If they were doing their jobs properly, the Govt would be on a very different tack.

Example -

Govt: Where are we going with the immigration situation?

Adviser: It's not great, so we recommend that we gaslight the fookers for a year and tell them they're racists

Govt: Will that work?

Adviser: It might

Govt: Well, did it work?

Adviser: No

Govt: What should we do now?

Adviser: Gaslight them more

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭The wonderfish

This is so spot on. This woke stuff that we have all been subjected to over the past couple of years is just downright ridiculous. Let’s hope this referendum result opens the eyes of our politicians that the vast vast majority (typically silent) have no interest in woke bullsh*t. I actually think there is an opening for a possible new party to step in and claim this huge vote if the incumbent continue to ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭Shoog

Ireland has proven itself socially progressive( woke in your words) on many occasions. Your wet dream of a conservative party emerging and sweeping the board is just that - a dream.

How difficult is it to understand that the Irish people rejected badly worded proposals, and most of those are still broadly liberal in outlook.

No doubt you were on the wrong side of the last two referendums, but I am sure you conveniently forget that inconvenient fact in your rush to crow about this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I see the latest is Varadkar attacking Lisa chambers over her supposed No vote. Despite campaigning for the yes side. Hard to believe this “government” can last much longer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭tom23

Where did you see that? H will have to attack Willie O'Dea and John McGuinness so. Thy also voted No. Maybe he should call out the spoofer O'Gorman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

Ditto! I think SF will be a busted flush after the next election. I admit that I don't say that with a high level of confidence but I have a gut feeling that something is changing. SF and the SNP should by now be waking up to the fact that you can't be a nationalist party and swallow the ideological guff coming from the US universities. The nation is a grass roots concept that is built on the nuclear family. The idea that you can replace it with some top down ideology is a fools errand.

Advertisement