Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum on Gender Equality (THREADBANS IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

That’s true. Poor optics also attacking a younger female politician but that’s him allover. He’s an atrocious Taoiseach. They’re going to be annihilated in June

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭billyhead

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭Shoog

As I said before, SF will gain from this even if only because it will increase the general appathy for voting FFG.

And been a nationalist party does not automatically equat to been hard right dick heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭Floppybits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,113 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Leo trying to divert embarrassment over this to Lisa Chambers and away from him and Roderic O'Gorman.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I agree.

What will be interesting is the next Sunday Poll that is published....in the last one they stated that Aontu were down 1 to 3pc I think....

Not for one second have I believed a poll published in this country over the last number of years, we saw during Covid how ridiculous they were and how they were used....I certainly don't believe any poll that suggests that the current major political parties are in or around the same support levels they received in 2020....that is a downright lie.

Remember, the idea of propaganda is not to convince you of an argument but to convince you that you are in the minority.

Before anyone calls me nasty names, I also knew any poll that suggested we were headed for a Yes vote was complete nonsense, as did many of us!

FG always were the party of the right wing (the old blue shirts) so if you can't side with them and the National Party is a running joke, who have you got to vote for ?

Insurgent right wing parties are not coming riding over the hill to rescue you before the next election. Parties take time to build and if your relying on a rag tag of independents - we all know where that got us last time it was tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

I think he means once you exclude the parties you are disillusioned with, then whoever is left no matter how ridiculous or awful is who you vote for.

That's the kind of corner I would be painted into if I was living in Ireland.

Exactly the point I am making, who? If I am the only one in this situation then I can understand why that poster thinks its funny but I am not the only one then it is a serious situation for politicians.

• Advertisement

As I said before SF will be the main beneficiaries of a collapse in FFG since they have already done the hard work of building a solid platform of support.

Maybe you need to understand the sort of party that you want to vote for doesn't resonate with the Irish public. They had to many years of living under an ultra conservative Catholic dominated state to easily forget what it actually represents.

Do they have a solid platform of support? I would have been one of those considering giving a vote to SF but there performance has been awful over the last while and they seem to be as disconnected from voters as FF and FG as was seen with them backing this shambolic referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 tarvis

I was saddened as I watched Katy Hannon onRTE last night. So many people, women and disabled people were not only disappointed but also hurt by the result.

I’m sure all can agree the wording was in no way adequate for the needs as they currently stand and putting such half baked meanderings in front of us to vote on was nothing short of an insult to all.

I hope those who seek adequate services can avoid the mistake of allowing the age old tactic of ‘divide and rule ‘ have its way. What voters have in common is much greater and more powerful than what divides them. The needs and the gaps in all services are too large and getting worse - only a huge UNITED effort will bring change.

It is surely time to work together to end the deficits in essential services, and end the penny pinching by people who can so easily spend 23 million on a half baked referendum or 2 billion on the blank cheque that is the children’s hospital… not to mention the ‘going away money’ in the upper echelons of the public service.

The people of Ireland, will all their challenges, refused to buy a pig in a poke - there is momentum now to build on the start that was made on this Womens Day / Mother’s Day weekend.

We could sink back into “ah what’s the point” -as our politicians would have us do. They are no doubt hoping that by the time they get back from the worldwide St Patrick’s Day jaunts all will be forgotten and forgiven -

Here’s hoping they are wrong - again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Agree!

She's an easy target/sacrificial lamb. Mind you, it's no ones business how anyone votes. but I think we can all agree that a TD campaigning for something they themselves will vote against is not a good place to be in.

I'd also bet that she wasn't the only Government TD to vote No/No. Willie O'Dea breaking ranks on the hate speech laws is good thing I suppose, at least he's being clear on his position.

All in all though, it's been the worst set referendums in the history of the state. 74%/68% against. The only other referendum with that much opposition was to lower the age of the presidency to 21 (Which was in fairness a very stupid thing to even propose)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Yes the polls I couldn’t reconcile. I don’t live in Dublin, I live in a large town in Leinster and a mix of rural and more liberal voters- no one I spoke to was voting yes. My brother was initially yes to the relationships one but quickly changed his mind once he read up more on it.

Actually the more info people had the less likely they were to vote yes which is the complete opposite of the governments yarn about not understanding the proposals. They were just crap proposals, end of story.

Govt support is way overstated in the polls as is especially SF

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

There is no IF to it.

You are even seeing the morons in SF on about a rerun of the referendum.

You had idiot FG senator Mary Kearney on last night on TV3 Tonight Show saying people were demanding these changes to the constitution for the last 30 years.

The issue there is that they are listening to vested interests and lobby groups and then think they represent everyone else.

Deluded fooking muppets.

You also had journalist Sarah Carey on who really nailed to national womens council and said they did not represent mothers.

She said the people that voted against particularly carers referendum weren't far right, were not confused, were not misinformed.

She even said the lady that schooled Martin was only interviewed on Saturday by Gript. (wait until the lads are all over here to tell us they are funded by fascists).

If she had of come out before the vote and said after reading all the material and listening to the debates that she as now decided to vote No/No, I don't think she would be as criticised as much even with the canvasing for a Yes/Yes vote previously. After all we can all change our minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Well maybe you should check it out now and again.

Likewise with the Ditch.

You may not like some people connected with them, but they are actually doing the citizens some service by raising stuff that the mainstream media up the hole of the politicians aren't touching.

The more divergent views you have on a topic the more chance you get a truer picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Hello there new poster. What do you think of the carers and various carers' associations who called to vote NO then?

All fools, manipulated by the far right? Turkeys voting for Christmas?

Or people who can recognise a cynical ploy when they see one?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

The only ones I saw disappointed last night on Upfront were obnoxiously entitled idiots who castigated the electorate for not going the way they wanted

people who have been most likely over indulged their entire lives

• Registered Users Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The polls on the referendum may not have been wrong though

They showed an initial high support for Yes/Yes

Then they showed this losing ground

They also showed huge undecided votes.

It's entirely possible the polls were correct and there was a large swing to No/No in the last few days of the campaign.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I don't see it. I see them flip flopping all over the place trying to hedge their bets on what is the most popular position nationally on different issues.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 38 tarvis

in reply to volchitsa

As a no no voter I agree with them. The result has cast a light on the dire state of disability services and all those suffering under our system - I just don’t want to waste that brief time in the limelight with argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

It's "possible" but also very unlikely.

I'm guessing the pool of people used in the polls are all like minded. (I'm not for one second suggesting the people conducting the polls are lying btw). What is likely is that they were conducted in Areas like Dún Laoghaire, or other areas that are very Greft.

I'd imagine it was unlikely that any of the polls were conducted in more conservative places. The government itself is living in an echo chamber, most TD's having nothing in common with the average Citizen, hence that is how they got this so wrong.

Not often I will agree with you but you are 100% correct on this. They need to stop this hedging and start making decisions and sticking with their convictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Well they've all skipped off for a week or two and will hide their heads as best they can. Calls for a recall of the Dáil haven't a hope in hell. Leo etc will be hoping that all will be forgiven, forgotten and swept under the carpet when they back to answering questions. The voting public will likely have a longer memory though.

There certainly needs to be more analysis of the recent polling on these referendums. There's has to be a suspicion about independence of pollsters and whether there is a 'commissioning bias'. That they are moulded to suit the agenda of whoever is paying for the polling work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Sinn Fein's real problem is that they are basically a single issue party that is trying to develop a wider program so as to become a credible future government. In reality though, they don't have many fundamental convictions other than a united Ireland.

That's not meant as a criticism of them, more an observation.

But that's how they've gone from being Marxist Leninist in the 70s to full-on "progressive" now, while still having a certain right-wing catholic group amongst them too (less so now, as that generation dies off of course). But that's why they can, and will, flip flop to find whatever they think will win them votes.

Well, they missed a chance to listen to the grassroots there. Victims of their own success, I suspect: too many recent middle class recruits hoping to cash in on SF's popularity in the polls all the better to dictate to the great unwashed as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Augme

One issue with opinion polls, and it will always exist, is that the turn out is always 100%.

Advertisement