Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum on Gender Equality (THREADBANS IN OP)

Options
1118119120121122124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,275 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The chickens are coming home to roost now... Leo being pushed overboard.

And Roderic should be jumping with him and that useless Minister for Tourism as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Shoog

Thats not what the referendum has shown - the referendum was a botched attempt to implement a recommendation of the citizens assembly. It was the government who botched it and the government who are to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Disagree: the government botched it because they didn't implement the CA's recommendations, but decided to go for a bit of feel-good virtue-signalling instead.

Here is the report of the Citizens Assembly on the family and care issues: no mention of "durable relationships" in it.

https://citizensassembly.ie/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/report-of-the-citizens-assembly-on-gender-equality.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭minimary

FOI documents from the Department of Justice about the definition of family. Long story short, they thought it would have major impacts on our immigration system

https://gript.ie/revealed-the-documents-the-state-didnt-want-you-to-see-before-the-referendums/

https://archive.ph/H7TaF (archive link)

"The process of overseeing the completion of the survey by the various divisions was handled by a
    senior legal researcher from the Department’s Legal Services Support Unit. 

That researcher, in an email to senior officials in the Department, summarising the responses they had received, stated that:“the summary of all legal issues so far is that the amendments as currently worded will massively restrict the State’s ability to regulate its immigration system. It is not an exaggeration to say that it will be extremely difficult, and
    perhaps impossible, to maintain a meaningful immigration system should the People accept these amendments.”

The State has been able to maintain an immigration system so far precisely because Article 41 is applied to a small, tightly-defined group of people. The State will not be able to regulate immigration if this protection is applied any more widely.”

The researcher overseeing the survey also stated that “While I did not seek observations on non-legal issues, all units who have returned [the survey] so far have emphasised the extremely severe and extremely concerning effects of either/both of these amendments on their resources.” This was described as “noteworthy.”"

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭US3

That's absolutely outrageous! How many times did Leo and Helen tell us it wouldn't have any consequences at all regarding immigration. Scum. And I don't use that word lightly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Poon Tang

If there was any doubt before about who is in control of this country, and what their long term objectives are, this surely must convince many of the remaining doubters? (those who care anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭concerned_tenant

If that is true, thank goodness this referendum didn't pass.

I didn't vote in the referendum, as it happens, as I thought — according to polls at least — that it was going to be a landslide victory in favour.

Had I known the above, I would have absolutely made sure I casted my vote against it.

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it." — George Orwell

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I wonder whether other media than Gript will pick this up. It's truly shocking that a site that is regularly castigated as being (allegedly) uninterested in truth and accuracy has broken a number of stories that the mainstream Irish media has - knowingly it would seem - ignored

The fact that a referendum was organised based on ministerial LIES to the public is surely one of massive public interest.

https://archive.ph/H7TaF

Gript initially applied for access to these documents in January of this year, but our initial FOI was refused. We received these documents following an appeal.

And yet even with the government and its institutions denying FOI, they could still not win the referendum. This is a massive story and mainstream media are not covering it. Because the fact that the mainstream media nodded along like donkeys to all of this is another massive story, or it should be.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,533 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Nuts102

IS their any other country in the world that a government would survive this.

The people who warn us about people spreading lies and misinformation are as bad as anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,533 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Probably not.

If it was France they would be out rioting.

Advertisement