Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum on Gender Equality (THREADBANS IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Conspiracy; the most overused word of the decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,932 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was a genuine question. I am trying to figure out what exactly the poster is getting at and is it they thought that polls were a secret subvertive plot or something to that affect?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

It's been a confusing week for you alright I'd say!! I think virtually the entire media and political class spectacularly misjudged the population, and the polling companies, who's only job is somewhat accurately assess where the population are at also spectacularly failed, It was also completely predictable that the polls would indicate support for the Yes vote all the way until the last minute, the only thing I got wrong was how bad the beating would be for the Government...and how wrong the polls turned out to be!!

It's been a bruising week for the dedicated Yes voters...I understand that it will take a while for the penny to drop what just happened!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

From anything I saw in Polls the Yes was mid to high 60%s. More or less halved come polling day. It wasn’t thus just the undecided - the polls were spectacularly wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

4 Fianna Fail TDs have now said they voted No.

I suspect it's far more from all parties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

"If I use the word conspiracy I can make them look unreasonable and win the argument".

The NGOs are a massive problem now in this country. They’ve become an extremely expensive parasitic work scheme for the chattering middle classes.

I work in the private sector in a small but successful sales operation- we are at the bare minimum of staff always and always under pressure to deliver, I pay lots of tax on what I earn-it just Gauls me to see the Unaccountable quangos and the budgets lavished on them to basically talk rubbish and deliver nothing tangible for society- taxpayers money should only have a laser spending focus on essentials like healthcare, housing, education, transport, infrastructure…not paying some Gender Studies Wally €100k to talk shite and siphon more of our money away from where it’s really needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,910 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Many NGOs could be merged and consolidated, if getting rid of them overnight is too problematic for the actual policy makers.

But where would all the paid CEO's of the myriad organisations go then?

Why though? You keep saying you think the polls were all wrong without explaining why?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

No one would actually notice bar the lavishly paid staff and their hangers on. That’s all it’s about. I assume they’re employed under state t&cs so basically impossible to get rid of. All these fcukin lobby groups for fringe groups and every complex you can dream of. Absolutely shocking waste

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

NGOs like a lot of charities are just handy jobs for well connected people. Most of them don't actually want to solve the issues they claim to advocate for, because if the issue gets solved then they would be out of a job and not be given access to political parties. Take the National Women's Council, they don't actually represent most women and have to keep inflating or making up issues so the money will keep rolling in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,583 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Pffft

Cynical attempts to recover face. Where were they before Friday?

Those cynical cowardly turncoats deserve to be held in lower regard than those who actually worded these changes and pushed for yes votes. At least they nailed their colours to the mast.

Who are all the other charlatans? Mcguinness always said he was No well before polling day and to be fair has his finger on the pulse of middle and working class Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

A better use of energy would be to try and figure out how the polls got it so wrong...you are the only person on here who thinks the polls were right, I'd take some time considering that if I were you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭almostover

Very well said. They had an open goal on that particular amendment, and not only did they miss, they blasted the ball out of the stadium.

Instead, the proposed amendment was used to abdicate responsibility for government to care for its most vulnerable citizens. Thankfully, the voters saw right through that attempt and gave it the highest 'No' vote ever recorded in a referendum.

This malarkey of the 'public didn't understand' is deflection. We understood perfectly and soundly defeated the proposal.

Worst part it, the government have single handedly put amending that article of the constitution back by 20+ years. So the sexist language remains and carers go without their right enshrined in the constitution. It's so bad, unfortunately, you couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I looked up one of the NGOs mentioned they have 1 employee and the rest is a voluntary board of directors. I am not going to name it.

There does appear to be a staggering amount of NGOs in the broad area of social policy and an amount seemed to be formed so they can access grants to do the work they are involved in, this is an example of another small NGO they are not all raking it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭Shoog

You have a very poor and schewed understanding of what the NGO sector does in the country - but thats not really a surprise given your prejudice against it. You would do away with the likes of the Wheelchair Association, all the Rehab units, all the Hospices ? Your going to popular when you get to rule the world.

Tide slightly on the turn then? I note that today is De -Transition Day in the UK, and the NHS have also announced no further puberty blocking hormone treatment will be given to minors who want to transition. I think Irish children had to go to UK for such treatment. Something is changing I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭Shoog

This is a misrepresentation of the situation in the UK. The Cass report recommended that puberty blockers only be administered as part of clinical trials. The outcome will be that anyone been advised to use puberty blockers - or requesting puberty blockers - will be asked to enroll in a clinical trial. I forsee very little actual change in the rate of prescribing puberty blockers but a great boost in clinic evidence to support their further use.

I don't agree there. I realise that those already undergoing treatment will continue to have it, and that clinical trials will happen, but the fact that minors can no longer rock up to their clinic and get a script for drugs like Lupron which caused long term harm to autistic children who were prescribed it is a good thing. The NHS has accepted Cass and agree that to enter such trials children must be referred to a multi-disciplinary panel which will require evidence that the child understands the short and long term implications and side effects.

The scandal cannot go on anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭donaghs

Can we start with the NWCI? Since they’ve shown they don’t represent the interests of most Irish women, what are they for?

Why do they get so much taxpayer money to lobby against the taxpayer wishes?

(I accept they can be right about some things sometimes, e.g. murder is bad, but that doesn’t justify their funding)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Augme

"Members of a family" - it is hardly that wishy washy is it?

Yet…they usually start small (that’s the idea) then it mushrooms into a bigger thing. Needing a bigger budget and more “expertise”

From their website The ambition of the National Women’s Council is an Ireland where every woman enjoys true equality and no woman is left behind. 

Id say that represents the vast majority of women in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭thegame983

Who cares what their website says? They advocated for Yes/Yes, going against the majority of women in Ireland.

They are not fit for purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Augme

I think that's for their members to decide, not some randomer on the internet.

By that logic, any group that advocates on the side that doesn't get passed in a referendum should be defunded?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

The second amendment would have deleted woman & language on "women's role in the home" with a pledge that the government would "strive" — not be obliged — to support carers in the home.

Advertisement