Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭VG31

Apologies if this has already been answered recently, but when are FCC expected to make a decision on the cap?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Karppi

The time to start trying to overcome the 32mppa cap was when the airport passed (say) 25mppa. To wait until it was up against the cap was simply poor strategic management thinking. It was always going to take years to deal with it, and they waited, then waited a bit longer until... well, you know. There's always ten other considerations to take account of - the cap on the new runwaay, the 65 movements at night, but there was no joined up thinking at executive level. Now it's a rearguard action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭Economics101

I have seen airport capacity specified as number of flights per hour and terminal capacity as number of pax per hour. If the constraint is the acces road network, the pax per hour would make sense. Pax per year is just nonsense on stilts. Needs saying again and again.

Post edited by Economics101 on

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭dublin12367

Agree. There was an application lodged in 2019 to increase it to 35m but this was withdrawn in June 2020, no doubt due to Covid.

Decision on the night flights must be imminent.

Decision is technically due 8 weeks after planning application is lodged. That 8 weeks is up tomorrow. However, fingal may notify (in writing) that extra time is needed to assess the application.

• Advertisement

A long letter in the I.T. from Brian Leddin T.D. (Green Party). His main gripe is that Dublin is overextended and ther should be more flights into Shannon instead. He aslo wants a rail link into SNN, which has < 10% of the traffic of DUB, and which equally problematic whan it comes to linking up to the railway system.

So much nonsense which needs to be called out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Making his pitch for the General Election. In Ireland, all politics is indeed local.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I don't think you can compare DUB and SNN when discussing challenges linking to the railway system.

Taking a spur off the line somewhere like Cratloe would allow a routing passing through fields for virtually the entire way to the SNN terminal building. That's a great deal easier than trying to link DUB to mainline railway services where it's basically underground or bust.

Whether it's value for money or not is, of course, a different question.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

I don't think so either, for the very reason that SNN is far too small to justify a rail link, and DUB, for such a large airport is scandalously without any rail link at all.

I don't want to get drawn into the costs of rail=linking DUB, (there is another thread for that)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭HTCOne

The Limerick-Galway line is single track and underwater for half the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭x567

Quite a few points in his letter make sense. Ireland does need to focus more development outside of Dublin as part of a balanced national plan, but that’s getting beyond the narrow focus of this pro-Dublin airport thread…

Tell me, what’s to stop development outside of Dublin currently? Lack of demand? I don’t think anyone is against development outside of Dublin if the demand is there and it’s required. However you do not stop development where there is major demand and money to be made, just to develop airports already operating way under capacity so you can feel a bit better about yourselves.

By all means promote these airports as best you can but you can’t force people to fly from these airports.

We’ve already seen how the mandatory Shannon stop over worked out. It held Ireland back to benefit Shannon. As soon as that was done away with, American flights increased massively to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭x567

I wasn’t referring to airports (and neither is the letter exclusively). My point was that planned economic development across the country needs to be balanced, with regional development incentivised where there is land and resource capacity (water, power, roads, etc). As I said, this is off-topic, but if it happens and a region grows successfully, then so will its airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Half the winter?

Why let the truth get in the way?

Care to find out how many times its closed over the last 2 years due flooding?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Karppi

Shannon is a relic from the original transatlantic flights, as the nearest landfall. Same as Prestwick and Gander. The actual need for these stop-overs mainly disappeared in the 1970s when the planes could fly non stop. The only exception was Ireland where the government deemed that any transatlantic flight for Dublin was obliged to stop at Shannon too, to ensure the airport remained viable. Some airlines complied, and some stopped flying to Ireland.

Putting a rail link or similar into Shannon won’t encourage airlines to fly there. Putting a rail link of some description into DUB would facilitate a proportion of those who use the airport, alleviate road congestion etc. When you consider how close DUB is to the city, it’s madness not to have such a link.

The rrail line at Ballycar was closed for 110 days in 2014 and 140 days in 2016, and again in 2020 for several days. Between them the local council, the Board of Works and Irish Rail cannot agree on who should do and pay for remedial works. All this is an incredible diversion fro the need to tackle accessability to Dublin Airport

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

The TDs are against it, a transport minister on the green party was never going to go well. Waterford has been begging for it's runway extension for years. Now the favourabe business plan has been completed and delivered on to Eammons desk. The minister has somehow not seen it (for 9 weeks) and lost it... same as all the prior TDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Same mistake as HTC1

Please quote closures over last 2 years as requested.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭moonshy2022

Let’s just say the number is ZERO, do you feel better now ?

Can we move on from this ridiculous discussion about the bloody CAP in Dublin please until there is actually something to discuss.

if people wanted to fly to Cork or Shannon they would and the airports would grow. But people don’t and the airports aren’t growing. Forcing people, and that’s what it is, won’t work. If you build it they will come, won’t work either, that’s for Hollywood films that always have a happy ending.

Name one airport situation elsewhere in the world where forcing people to fly to an airport 237kms away from where they actually wanted to go has worked for either airport ? I’ll wait, go on.

Boards Aviation forum has really become the place where conversation comes to die, and intelligent conversation at that.

• Advertisement

https://corporate.ryanair.com/news/ryanair-calls-on-green-transport-minister-ryan-to-lift-dublin-airport-cap-or-quit/. Definitely worth talking about on here in fairness when you see the likes of this. Yes it’s typical Ryanair waffle but there is definitely some truth in this. Just proves the cap will not benefit Shannon cork and knock too.

THere may have been no closures over the past two years: as far as I am aware this was not due to remedial works, but to weather/rainfall patterns. I quoted closures (some of them for months on end) in 3 of the last 10 years. Is that not enough to make the essential point? Don't be so pedantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭trellheim

"But people don’t and the airports aren’t growing. Forcing people, and that’s what it is, won’t work."

By that logic people are choosing to drive to Dublin from cork because they want to ! In the example I chose above, if people are paying the same money to fly to Lanzarote from Cork, and they live in Cork, its madness to suggest they'd pick choosing to go to Dublin instead, if the flight is there departing from Cork as well. And you could fill the other turns for that plane with munster locals for an Alicante or Malaga run, and thats an airplane filled that didn't have to depart from Dublin and have people drive up the M8 to get into it.

The other side then is that if this was true, then they'd be already doing it, but that's because there's no incentive yet , because its easier to do so from Dublin , but if they can't expand at Dublin then we might see this behaviour change.

Explained so many times. Yea it would be great to see more of these routes from cork, but this isn’t just about short haul flights, it’s also about long haul flights which respectfully will never be based in cork airport.

Cork already has flights to Alicante, and Malaga and all the usual seasonal routes, if there was more demand for them the airlines would increase them.

its all well and good saying people will use flights from cork or Shannon, but can 190 people fill three or four planes a day, 7 days a week from Cork to quieter EU destinations, outside summer peak months? The answer is likely going to be no hence why we don’t see major expansion in Shannon or Cork previously. Inbound traffic is just as important as outbound.

As shown above, if they can’t expand in Dublin they’ll move on to other EU countries. The result - all of Ireland looses 200 jobs, 16 routes and so on. That’s just one airline.

getting very tired of explaining this on here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭trellheim

Oh get up the yard with that. I posted the exact number of flights to each destination up thread . I refuse to believe that 10% of the 40+ million a year can't be pushed to a regional like Cork, because thats where the traffic will be from and I do mean all year around . Canaries and southern spain are busy all year round . By your logic nothing possibly can be diverted to the regionals and the only possible way forwards is a black-hole expansion disk around EIDW

And I didnt mention the LH traffic because there, yes, it makes sense because the inwards J and transfer traffic flow is largely towards Dublin

But not for bucket and spaders, which in the UK are largely pushed off to regionals , not many Lanzarotes lifting off from 27L or 27R at Heathrow because... its full and ... the LH traffic is more important

Anyway this is all largely academic, if Fingal Co Co refuse an expansion it will either drive traffic to the regionals or it wont. and it wont be jobs lost it will be jobs might get created elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

@trellheim your points on paper to make sense and I can see how politicians or anyone with no knowledge of aviation works would believe it’s plausible…. But as has been said to death here and other “more versed?!?” Aviation forums, if it could work, you bet your ass FR and EI would do it! But so much more is considered when routes are launched, fleet utilisation being a massive consideration which is often overlooked (and tbf you did allude to it in a previous post) but it’s a non runner…. For now anyway!

You reference the UK market but it’s a population 10 times that of Ireland so not comparable at all! Dont want to knock you down but aviation is an open market and has been for decades!

• Administrators Posts: 53,652 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

We have other major airports, in particular Shannon, which have plenty of spare capacity

I wonder when Brian Leddin was sitting down to write his letter, and he penned this particular sentence, did he even stop to consider why the airlines are not flocking to Shannon and Cork with all their spare capacity, and why the likes of Ryanair are putting pressure on his party to lift the Dublin cap?

Michael O'Leary is not known for his love of spending money, and it would surely be cheaper to expand in Shannon than it would in Dublin, and yet they have no interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

If you look at Ryanair's coverage of Europe and consider the number of routes it operates (around 1,750, according to a simpleflying article in late 2022), even taking into account that it is headquartered in Ireland, you would have to concede that two fairly small airports at the western fringes of Europe are probably not uppermost when it comes to considering expansion. https://corporate.ryanair.com/about-us/our-network/

The company undoubtedly has the data to tell it where the best expansion opportunities are at any given time. I know other factors can come into it but, all things being equal, maximising shareholder return has to be the primary objective for such a ruthlessly commercial undertaking.

Post edited by EchoIndia on

• Registered Users Posts: 68,502 ✭✭✭✭L1011

We also have to remember that Ryanair are a major reason why there's no other airline expansion at the regional airports.

Should someone like, say, Jet2 come in to bucket and spare out of ORK, Ryanair will go on each and every route they do at tiny prices until Jet2 leave. We've seen it before and we may see it again.

They don't want anyone else coming in to "their" territory as a LCC. They drove Jet2, Wizzair and Easyjet out of regional airports already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

True - but given how big they are now, I wonder would they be as protective as they were then? For example Vueling and Transavia are at Dublin and there has been no huge reaction to Paris or BCN.

I suspect they would go hard though against anyone. EasyJet starting Dub to Gatwick would be interesting! Or Zurich

Advertisement