Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Is there any peat or smokiness to either or those?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I find the Midnight Silkie a little smokier, myself. Must try them side by side tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Anyone tried the teeling single pot still?

The core range bottle that is

Is it worth picking up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

They're both peated, yes.

The Dark Silkie, after distillation, is supposed to be 22 PPM. The Midnight I think is a little more.

• Advertisement

They're both great whiskies. They're peated but not scotch level peated obviously. The dark silkie is a gorgeous drop, very well balanced and just different enough to make you appreciate that theres much more of an Irish whiskey heritage to tap into beyond our normal middleton/bushmills/teeling offerings. Its a great whiskey. The midnight Silkie takes it up a notch with the wine influence, offerring an unusual funky lactic note that works well with the peat that is just unheard of in Irish whiskies. The Dark Silkie is class, but the Midnight Silkie IMO is highly memorable. Id buy the Midnight over the Dark all day every day,

...Well, they're more peated than many scotches, but less peated than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

1 litre bottle for 35 quid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭tphase

Where's that on sale?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Did this on Monday. Actually enjoyed the Midnight more than the (cask strength) Dark Silkie, which I didn't expect. As sometimes happens with me, the bottle has grown on me as I've made my way through it - I was a little disappointed with the Midnight Silkie when I first opened it.

Tonight I'm having a little drop of Killowen Rum & Raisin over ice. Really gonna miss this one when it's gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,722 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Interesting. I'd say the cask strength Dark is my best new whiskey of the last few years (thanks to the secret santa)

Haven't tried the Midnight, must correct that omission

The Midnight Silkie is a blended malt too isn't it? While the Dark is blended whiskey, though to be honest, they're bith still great quality and value. I've heard the Rum and Raisin is available in 700ml now?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Yeah, both very good blends. I was only surprised because I expected to enjoy the Dark more - I wasn't disappointed with either of them. :)

None of the Silkies are every going to be aspirational or grail whiskies, but they're solid and I think they offer a surprising amount at their price points. I guess they'd be my 'supermarket Irish whiskey choice' generally.

I enjoyed the bottle of Midnight Silkie I had. I know I'd like the cask strength, but I'm just sure I would want to bump up my spend to 90 euro for it.

The Red Silkies are an underrated part of their line-up also. I've had the rioja and pomerol. Red wine finishes can be a bit tricky sometimes, but they do it well, I don't know does it come down to wine barrel selection or what.

If anyone has the chance to taste the pomerol Red Silkie, ask yourself, which prominent more expensive Irish single malt does it remind you of?

Redbreast, was what was suggested to me, at a tasting of it.

I'd have to say, yes, surprisingly so. Undoubtedly unintended, but oddly "on the nose", if you'll excuse the pun.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭DeniG2

Tough week at work, time to relax with one of these. Gets me every time, classic Speyside smoothness and sweetness, but with a lovely peaty finish

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Where did you find the Silkies? I have not seen them in any off licenses near me. Would try one, maybe the red for the spoiler reason, but online prices are not far off the spoiler choice

Post edited by Anaki r2d2 on

The distillery shop... Same price as online however. I think you're right, only 15 or so in the difference?

If you get it I'd think of it more as "if I like A I might like B", and also maybe if you just want something slightly new at same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Greg81

Can you recommend any "groups" "exchanging" samples?

Would really like to taste first before going for full bottle.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1901Rory

I’d say not worth it.

I tasted it first at the Teeling distillery in 2021 and I got to take some home. The overall impression was of a spirit too young yet. The nose appeared very young, grainy and chemically (is it the feints that smell more like that?). It hit all hot and peppery, which is not unusual for a pot still whiskey. But I didn’t get much else other than a hot, young spirit - it could just as well be tequila - no finesse.

Then i tasted it in Dublin airport last year, and that release seemed a good step up from what i had previously tasted. It was approx 6yrs old I was told. Who knows what a few more years will bring.

Picked up that bottle few years back.

Cracked it open and I am pleasantly surprised. Quite sweet.

Also catching few rays of sunlight so paring it with Leon Jimenes Cigar.

Quiet Sunday afternoon.

Slainte.

Lucky for some....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭janiejones

Got the WD o connell 5 year amontillado as a present. Trying it tonight. It's nice, reminds me of something but I'm not sure. I think it's Kilkerran, where the peat comes across as burnt rubber but in a nice way, which I get is weird

Quite sweet but also little bit smoky.

Enjoyed it but need to pair it again with dark chocolate.

Smooth.

Sounds pleasant.

It's hardly the point, but I do think the branding on that particular release looks great.

I've always enjoyed various JW offerings when I've had them. Along with Chivas Regal, their products are better, imo, than the reputation that they sometimes enjoy among whisky people, if that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,722 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I agree. Johnnie Walker are a very safe pair of hands (once you get past the red. Though, to be fair, that's not too bad given it's very cheap)

The black is very decent, I really like the double black, green is good and all the random editions I've tried have been nice (The Spice Road is the only one I can really remember though)

I was at an Indian wedding with an open bar once, and had a good time with a bottle of JW Gold.

• Advertisement

Experimenting with miniatures tonight.

Bottles, labels, wax, string. Quite happy with the outcome.

While doing that I killed my can of bourbon.

Sláinte

Advertisement