Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Greg81

Sampling last night

• Registered Users Posts: 28,093 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

@Greg81 What Achill offering was it, any use?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 HenryCase

Was the Ardbeg 8 really €150 before? Or was it a typo on the email sent and it was €105. That's a £60 bottle in the UK.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I don't know if it's a typo. Based on your post I had a look online, and it does appear like it is significant cheaper in the UK than what it was priced at in Ireland, Denmark, Canada etc. The revised CWS pricing tracks with what it is in the UK now, give or take.

I don't know the previous pricing of this bottling - was it originally higher in the UK also?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

I got this at auction recently for £45 so its secondary market value is around £50-55, which is great as its RRP was originally £57. The inflated prices are just down to the demand of the committee releases. €150 was blatant gouging and not really anything to shout home about. You've decided not to gouge anymore CWS? Well done. Keep it up. 😀

TBH fair everyone was at it, up until a few weeks ago it was £100 on Master of Malt.

Not to take away from the whiskey though, it is delicious. Very different to the 10, some sherry influence and more like fennel, weirdly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 HenryCase

Hahaha last lines of the first paragraph were exactly my thoughts.

I like Ardbeg so the discount had me interested. Going to resist for now though and power through with what I have stashed away!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Any discount code for cws

Quite nice. Bourdeaux Single Malt.

€47 at Irishmalts.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭DeniG2

Started with The Balvenie Doublewood 12, moved on to Ardbeg An Oa, next choice, undecided

What did you go for on the end? Something powerful to match that An Oa no doubt!

• Advertisement

Hard to beat it, had a Port Charlotte which was lovely but was all peated out after that so finished on Teeling Small Batch for a change

Ah class I saw the Port Charlotte on your shelf and thought it would be a good one too. Hard to come back from peat land once you get stuck in it during the evening

Tried a new Teeling single malt... Airport exclusive, they add crystal malt, derived from some kind of high heat process.

Not often a fan of novelty in distilling (Glenmorangie Signet, I'm looking at you, with your cocoa-pops nose)... But this is a very nice, sweet, whisky.

Also had a Blackpitts, quite impressed.

👍 Blackpitts +1

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Crystal malt is very common beer brewing. It's what makes red beers red. A little goes a long way, so there may not have been very much of it in the grist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I did a deconstructed tasting of their single malt made with the crystal malt last week. Can't remember if it's the one that's airport exclusive! Everything was cask strength. The crystal malt thing is something they've been working on for a while, as I tasted some of it from them back in 2019. They had both malt grains they used to sample/taste as well. Noticeably darker in colour, and a richer, more caramel like taste. They had a beer to sample too, from Kinnegar, made with the same crystal malt.

I liked it. Not a unique tasting whisky, but very pleasant. I couldn't say whether the crystal malt process involved contributed, or was an integral part of the finished product's taste profile. I suppose they must say it is.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm having a drop of Thomond Gate's red ale malt tonight and there's definitely something different about it. Cask strength, so over a large ice cube to suit my preferences.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

They play themselves off as some kind of renegade underdog in the whiskey industry too, which I find odd. Loads of money behind them, and access to an aged stock that nobody else has. We tried a 33 year old single malt, and there was nothing truly remarkable about it. It was nice, but that was it.

On the Teeling blurb for the crystal malt there is something on the label to the effect that they're innovators within the industry alright.

I used to try more Teeling products but I have become less enthused over the years. The Small Batch, Single Grain and their red wine finish are all, IMO, so-so, at best. Actually, I think the Small Batch a bit poor, when I've had it.

But the two I mentioned above were pleasant.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I did the Teeling tour a good few years ago and I think I remember Alex saying they were experimenting with distilling a few different malts generally used in brewing. Pretty sure there was a chocolate wheat mash on the go when I was there.

Good, old Jack

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Definitely agree on the small batch.

I'd say I've only tried 3 different Teelings so far (can't remember what the other 2 were now) but never went back for more of any of them.

Need to give them (as a brand I mean) more chances perhaps.

I agree, Small Batch is nice but not outstanding, BlackPitts is interesting and a bit different but their Single Grain is a 'NO' from me, granted I'm not a Single Grain fan but I can barely finish a glass if I pour one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

I got into whiskey about five years ago via Teeling single malt in a complimentary trio testing at the airport (yes of course it was around 8am!)The Teeling Single Malt at 45 euro was my go to for years .The Brabazon at 70-75 was my 'treat' bottle .But they got dearer (and inconsistent I think also .I once had an 85 euro Super Valu 'special'(18?) Teeling bottle that was so bad I nearly cried (maybe it was grain heavy?) )to the point they dont really have anything for me to drink anymore .Which is sad :-(I know everything has gotten dearer but Id far sooner get 'stung' by a disappointing 70-85 euro 'special' in 2018 than its 175 euro equivalent today !

Its a pity Irish seems to be doing now what Scotch did with the inflated prices and marketing at the expense of quality liquor .Hopefully not too late to turn back...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭JMcL

Hopefully not too late to turn back...

Is that a horse's tail I see disappearing over the hill?

Doing a wee tasting with friends of this lineup tonight thanks again to @Black Sheep for the heads up!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Picked up 3 bottles of the 9 cuvee 😂🫢

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Had a Dark Silkie and a Midnight Silkie side by side last night. Definite similarities to both but I think Dark Silkie just edges it. It seems to have a fuller flavour and a bit more sweetness. Midnight Silkie tastes slightly younger but has lovely chocolate notes to it. Enjoyed both anyway.

Advertisement