Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,173 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Young and grainy. That was my reaction as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Was in Scotland over the weekend, and picked up a bottle of Lochlea 2nd crop Harvest.

Lochlea is an Ayrshire farm distillery, reasonably positive reviews but I've never previously tried them. A complete punt. I think the age is 3-5 years.

They're releasing this 2nd crop batch in four different cask finishes. This one is a medley of port, sherry and STR barrique finishes, I think.

I drove on the ferry, and if anyone does use Stranraer, worth popping into A.D Rattray, about an hour from the ferry... It's an independent bottler, they have a range of nice cask strength bottlings from a variety of distilleries, all priced 40-85 GBP or so. Some potential value in there, I think, depending on the cask quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Hah what a coincidence! I got the First Crop Edition of Harvest just last week on auction. We'll have to compare notes! I think the first crop doesn't have STR but does have ex bourbon, port and sherry.

I like that John Campbell is charge at Lochlea. He's done great things at Laphroaig.

I see Roe and Co have their own juice out. Nice to see distilleries getting to that point.

Hmm 85 quid...I think I'd hold off to reviews I still don't get the Irish pricing structure it looks has a while to go before it levels out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,688 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Presumably that's still pretty young, isn't it?

(Maybe not, can't remember when I first saw Roe and Co)

Sounds interesting...

...refill and first fill American Oak ex Bourbon barrels, Alligator charred American oak barrels, Chestnut barrels with custom toasting profiles, and Sherry casks converge to create a diverse wood profile

5 years I read elsewhere! Aye that cask arrangement sounds great though whats alligator charred?

It's definitely a string to the Irish Whiskey industry bow to be able to use woods other than oak.

I presume it's charred until until it resembles alligator skin, but that did confuse me too 🤣

Definitely one I'll look for in a pub, bit pricey too dive in on a whole bottle

Hah well that's adventurous marketing I'll give them that. I don't know much about charring but I know in Scotland and the US that the char level has a numbering system so I presume they just char the shite out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Alligator is one of the heavier chars, something like a 4 I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Would anyone be able to recommend a good gift bottle for a Jameson drinker? My Dad is turning 60 and he likes a whiskey but generally sticks to regular Jameson. He's not really a fan of things like the Black Barrel or other special/infused type whiskeys, and I think given the option he'd always go with Jameson over other brands.

I usually get him a bottle of something nicer for birthdays/christmas (say around the €50-€60 mark) but for his 60th I was going to get him something a bit better to mark the occasion, maybe pair it with some nice glasses or something. I don't want to go too crazy because he wouldn't be a connoisseur by any means, he often says that he doesn't see the point in getting more expensive stuff and I think he'd actually be annoyed if I splurged on something like Midleton, even though I'd be happy to.

I was looking at the Jameson site and the Redbreast 15 year old or the Lustau edition might be a sweet spot in terms of fancier than usual but nothing too extravagant, with the Redbreast tumblers too. I'm just interested to know people's recommendations, or if there's maybe another whiskey at a similar price point that might be a better option. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Does he drink the Jameson neat or with a mixer? If it’s with a mixer he might have a point.

i think green spot and red breast are great choices for a gift. Really good drinkable whiskeys. I am not fussed on the pot still Jameson at a similar price point.

Always neat with some ice. I did get him Green Spot before and he liked it but wasn't particularly impressed with it, although maybe the Yellow Spot might better and closer to the price point of the 15 year old Redbreast.

My first thought, reading your post, was Redbreast. I'd say you couldn't really fail with that

The Celtic Whiskey Shop engrave bottles for €15, if you wanted to personalise it a bit...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Not a whiskey as such but would you consider getting tickets for the two of you to Whiskey Live? I've never been but I'm sure others here might be able to comment on what it's like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭granturismo

How about Waterford whiskey glasses. Arnotts or Kilkenny sometimes have a slight reduction on these.

He can drink the whiskey he prefers and enjoy the heftiness of a crystal glass.

https://www.arnotts.ie/waterford/two-lismore-connoisseur-tasting-tumblers/120603826.html?cgid=root

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭tphase

Can't go wrong with Redbreast 12

Thanks everyone for your input really appreciate it! I got the Redbreast 15 and two engraved Galway Crystal glasses in a presentation box so happy with it overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Redbreast 12 is a great shout.

If you wanted to splurge a bit more, Red Spot is superb. I think it’s on special from €140 down to €125 in O’Brien’s at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Redbreast 15 is a cracking choice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I commend IDL for not putting it in a box or tube!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Myself and a pal had a few on Saturday. The Yellow Spot and MVR were emptied. Bang for buck that Dalmore is fabulous drop.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Some small drops and a personal blend tonight. JJ Corry Flintlock No. 1, Yellow Spot, and Dingle's Bealtaine single pot still (all gorgeous as usual) in 25ml servings.

I had to clear some shelf space last week so I put the last few measures of Thomond Gate Clash of the Ash, Miguel Hogan (batch 2) and Peter Lacy (Western Herd imperial stout) into one bottle. It's a gorgeous mix of pot still and single malt now, with the Clash of the Ash bringing down the average ABV a little further from the usual cask strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭JMcL

In Scotland for a few days. Is there anything in particular worth looking out for in duty free (Edinburgh) at the minute? Fairly broad taste - anything from Islay peat monsters to Speyside etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭tphase

Just had a gander at Edinburgh duty free. Aberlour 12yo is a nice dram for ~€56 but I'd probably go for the 14yo ~€60 since I've had the 12 and recently bought a Casg Annamh

New Ardbeg Smoketrails arrived. Put away to open on a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I got the White Hag whiskeys last night, at last.

I have to say, incredibly delicious

I was going to ask you about it. I saw them posting on social media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Greg81

Very sweet. Sláinte

Advertisement