Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options
1115116117118119121»

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Saw something there about the Old Comber brand being revived by Echlinville. Anyone know if it's worth trying at €55?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Best value whiskey imo, it's an absolute bargain.

I love, have two bottles put aside and another open. Couldn't recommend it more at the price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Interesting! I had my hand on one at one point but put it down. I just thought £55 was a bit too far for a whiskey I haven't tried yet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Where are you based? Could try sort you with a sample of it, as I've a few bottles.

To be fair, it's similar price range as RB12 but I enjoy this a lot then RD12, but taste is of course different for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,043 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Gents, getting married this year. Not doing any of the traditional stuff, church, vows, 3 tier cake that nobody eats or wants. We want to stick what we want. Eg Putting effort into the drinks reception rather than horse and cart 🤣

Was wondering if anyone had ideas for whiskey at a wedding? One suggestion was hot whiskeys on arrival, that might be a good idea whether depending. Was hoping for something to commemorate the day. Sounds a bit like Homer buying Marge a bowling ball - but the misses appreciates a whiskey, I swear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭adaminho

Depends on the time of the year, if its a winter winter wedding then hot whiskey is the way to go. If It's summer try a Slane whiskey with ginger and Orange slice. Where are you based/getting married? Maybe try a local whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If it's winter, I think some people would appreciate hot whiskies. If you could get someone to do small whiskey sours, quickly and well, I think it would go down really well.

Whiskey Macs, if winter, could be nice (ginger wine and whisky), or maybe Rusty Nails (whisky and Drambuie).

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Lots of people are not into whiskey. Are all guests going to dig it?

But, you could do a nice whiskey for a neat drink. Red breast?

Whiskey old fashioned for simple cocktail?

Hot whiskeys in the winter months?

Hip flasks for guest gfts? Theree is an italian word for this. I am going to kill the spelling - "bombaniere" or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭con747

Was at a wedding years ago and there was a selection of miniatures on every table to either drink or bring home. I still have a couple because a lot of guests didn't drink whiskey or want it to bring home.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Sampled a drop of it tonight and really enjoyed it. Don't think I'll invest in a full bottle, but I'll definitely have to try it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

A very wise man in the bar last night dropped the hint that I should have had something very special to celebrate some recent good news. My second poetry book was published and launched this month but I forgot to mark it with a drink.

Making up for that tonight with a small measure of Method & Madness Oats & Malt, followed by MVR 2022. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,688 ✭✭✭ablelocks

my sister in law had whiskey old fashions for drinks reception on arrival at the hotel - even the non-whiskey drinkers enjoyed it. lovely sunny summer afternoon so the vibes were good anyway, but the old fashions were a great touch.

Drumshambo marsala cask single malt.

Very elegant with a real lingering complex finish. 43% is an interesting strength for a whiskey in this category and I always admire producers not blindly following convention. Personally I'd have gone for 45%😜. It does seem a little timid at 43. Really lovely whiskey, though. I appreciate that I haven't really described it, only my impression of it. It's tricky, subtle but complex. There's a lovely bang of young (or new make) malt from it that is almost hidden in much older tasting spirit. I like it a lot. Unpeated. Fruity, almost cognac like , is the closest I can get to describing it.

€9 in the local.

Post edited by the beer revolu on

• Registered Users Posts: 39,043 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

October wedding so not quite but close enough that they won't be amiss. But if its a sudden hot spell. Would oppose a swap to old fashioneds.

I'm sure not everyone will go for it. But you can't please everyone. There will be glasses of sparkling too, and beer/Guinness or similar. There will still be some that have a very specific drink they drink.

Personalised hip flasks for the groomsmen is a good touch. But 3 of us were in the wedding party last year and have one from then. I'll have my own full of red breast on the morning. 😉

I've a friend who is a wine lover. He bought himself (and his wife) an expensive wine. With the idea they'd open it on whatever anniversary. It's a shame whiskey doesn't age in the bottle. I'd open it year 1

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭head82

Picked this up today in a charity shop. Couldn't resist it.

Haven't tried it out yet but in the hand it feels (and smells!) a bit .. weird!

However, going by the blurb on the packaging, I can expect marvelous things from this. Might even transform a Proper 12 into a Redbreast 12.

If it doesn't, I want my €3 back 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭sceach16

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭head82

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Wow, that looks... ummm... interesting!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Opened up a bottle of Lochlea Harvest 2nd Crop at the weekend.

Small boutique-y Ayrshire farm distillery… Very young and quite a lot of new make on the nose, which generally I'm not a fan of.

And yet… Charming, to be honest. This is one where it will clearly mature into an excellent malt in due course, and there's enough going on that even young as it is, it's quite pleasant.

This is aged in port, STR and bourbon (kitchen sink, really).

Nose-wise, past the new make, the cask influences are relatively minimal. Maybe a touch of port evident, and enough to colour the whisky just slightly.

If I closed my eyes, this could be a smoky mezcal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,981 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

One for Macallan super fans with deep pockets!

Upon arrival, guests will be brought through an infusion workshop by The Macallan brand ambassador, Felicity White, before enjoying a multi-course tasting menu curated by Jordan Bailey with cocktails by Majken Bech-Bailey. Each guest will bring home a gift including a bottle of The Macallan Double Cask 12…

€275 per person. Friday May 3rd. No 25 Fitzwilliam Place.

https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/the-macallan-x-bech-bailey-tickets-880098356877

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

That Macallan 12 is one of my all time favourites. Always keep a bottle of it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

This is actually good value even at 275, although I know that might sound like an odd thing to say.

First of all, you get a bottle of the double cask, worth something in the ball park of 100 euro.

So then it's 175 you get a multi-course tasting menu and matched whiskies.

That's a fair bit, but on the other hand, Jordan Bailey earned Aimsir two Michelin stars and he's one of the top fine-dining cooks in the country.

The tasting menu at Chapter One is currently 190 euro, and that's with no alcohol at all.

It should be implicit in the above, but when I say "good value", that doesn't mean affordable, it just means arguably not overpriced, depending on how much you like fine dining and Macallan.

Sold out now though.. Should have kept a closer look at this thread.

I was thinking the same. When people choise to spend more money on something that another person wouldn't, it doesn't mean that person is wealthier. It just means that we prioritise different things.

I know people on very high incomes that drink whiskey but would baulk at spending €100 on a bottle. Likewise I know people on minimum wage who would save up for one.

Post edited by the beer revolu on

Christ would a bottle of it run you €100 at home?! Rip off Republic alive and well. 70 over here on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Almost picked up a bottle of that new Redbreast Cuatro Barriles Edition at duty free price in dublin on Monday, but changed my mind.
    Decided to get some scotch in the supermarket in France instead. Picked up a Bowmore 9yo and Glenlivet 15 for €27 and €50. Haven’t tried either before.
    Tempted to get a couple Lagavulin 16 at €60 just to stock up as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭JMcL

Aberlour is usually a good bet in French supermarkets. I bought a bottle of the 14 year old late last year for I think €37 and a very nice drop it is (had one last night). I think it was still at a similar price a few weeks ago, but I was on a lightning visit on the way to the ferry as the shop was closing so couldn't swear to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I got a bottle of Aberlour not too long ago. Can’t remember if it was in the Uk or elsewhere.
    Might get a few non whiskeys too, Cognac and Armagnac.
    Tried a nice spirit distilled from apricots last night too. Non aged.

Where's the Lagavullin 16 at 60e? Used to get it at that price here in Barcelona for years but it has shot up to 90 odd the last few.

• Advertisement
Advertisement