Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

You certainly wouldn't think you were drinking a 57% whiskey, the Black Boar was my preference but I always prefer stout types. The Great Northern Distillery rarely disappoints though. The Puca did give a nice whack of the sour beer taste and again not a crazy amount of heat for a 57%.

They were supposed to come in display boxes but these are being posted out apparently, TBH I usually recycle boxes and tubes straight away anyway apart from the wooden stuff. The woven outer is a nice touch and harks back to traditional weaving in Sligo.

All in all I'd say it's a belter and worth the €125.

This was the founders edition and the retail packs will be 46% apparently, no idea on pricing just yet.

The event itself was good, upstairs in The Palace, couple of pints thrown in and 3 or 4 whiskeys each poured. I went back to the local after and gave the samples to the owner who poured them for us in the bar.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I was very tempted to order the White Hag whiskeys when I saw them on Instagram, but my spending the last few years has finally caught up with me - I shan't be purchasing much in 2024! 😭

Finishing my Killowen Rum & Raisin 6 year old tonight anyway. Loved it while it lasted. I think it too came from the Great Northern Distillery.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,899 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Interesting commentary wrt to Irish whiskey in April 2024 edition of "Whisky Magazine":

In 2003, Irish whiskey sales totalled $72 million (£57 million), with super-premium products accounting
    for $6 million (£4.8 million). In 2022, total sales were $1.4 billion (£1.1 billion), with super-premium brands bringing in $325 million (£257 million) of that. In 2023 Total sales clocked in at $1.1 billion (£871 million). Of that, $238 million (£188 million) was from super-premium sales.
    Do I think drinkers will ever lose interest in Irish whiskey? Absolutely not. Do I think there might be too
    much whisky being produced right now? Probably, yes. Is that a problem? Depends on who you ask.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Very nice! I'll hopefully be in to see the new job on the Parlour during the summer. I still have some nice stuff in my stash at home. Had a little drop of Sailor's Home the Horizon tonight, followed by a tiny taste of Gold Spot to celebrate the little one's birthday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Are there any shops down south selling killowen products or are our options mainly auctions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Celtic Whiskey Shop stock them, and I've seen them in Martin's in Fairview too, but they said it doesn't sell well for them. No need at all to go to auctions for their whiskey.

Was looking at the bottle earlier on Celtic whiskey store

• Registered Users Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Powers rye, €7. Such a solidly nice drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

think there is a typo in there.....or else there's going to be a massive rush on Powers Rye tomorrow:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭tphase

Yeah, well worth it. Killowen make/finish some great whiskies. Very interesting approach compared to a lot of other distilleries.
    Its even better value now that they are doing the 700ml bottle, rather the smaller 500ml.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,688 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

+1

I got a sample of the rum and raisin from Three Drams, really enjoyed it. I'll definitely pick up a bottle once I clear some space on the whiskey shelf!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

I got a sample of Fox’s Bow at the weekend. Very smooth and nice to drink. The label on that always put me off. It looks like it’s more related to WKD or something than a decent whiskey.

I think they are just trying to appeal to a younger crowd, and the branding reflects that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

I adored the one bottle of Foxes Bowe I got at 25-30 in SV but theres no way Id pay 40 for it .Lovely quirky different drop with rye zing and lots going on without being weird

I was also impressed with it when it launched and have a second bottle stashed somewhere. I think I just expected them to have a wider range. They mentioned early on that they'd be highlighting Irish visual artists in their packaging, so I must have just assumed they'd do a few different styles at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,899 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yeah there's a few like that in Supervalu I keep an eye out for when they are discounted to that price range, but wouldn't pay €40 for… Foxes Bowe, Beara, Clonakilty Galley Head.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭head82

Foxes Bow is €25 in SuperValu currently. Definitely worth stocking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 samwise94

Holy shtt Killowen Dalriadan is a tough sip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭overpronator

Glenallachie 15 tonight. So good.

Just put my money where my mouth is and picked up two bottles of Foxes Bow in SuperValu , Celbridge ( Monday 8pm-one left in cabinet …-Leixlip had none .Lucan probably your best bet out this way ) I happened to find myself in a local pub passing time waiting to collect offspring from an event and had a measure of Teeling Single Malt (46%).( didn’t seem dear at €6 something ) The Foxes Bowe is 43% abv and at €25 that’s a heck of a deal.It can go head to head with the Teeling or darn near .As I remember and am reminded the Foxes Bow has nice welcoming sweet Sherry notes which the Redbreast fan will enjoy but also a quirky Rye ( Grainy ?) edge .It’s not quite as ‘interesting ‘ ( six components vs two or three?) and intense as the Teeling SM which really has an almost numbing clove finish and feels far stronger than the Foxes but even at €40 vs €55 I would consider the Foxes and at €25 it’s a winner every time ( unless had recent lottery win ) .The early / original Teeling SM was touted as having a small percentage of staggeringly old spirit in the blend .I’d guess it’s been downgraded along with almost everything else in this ‘cost of living crisis Has it lost its peppery Malt bite/finish ? ‘ .Anyway I’m enjoying these first bottles I’ve bought since Christmas immensely and at close to ‘minimum price’ guilt free ! If they cut the price to even €30 this stuff would clean up ! Precious few genuine ‘deals’ in this era of Irish whiskey so feeling well pleased ! Was nice to be ‘in at the start’ when you had your choice of 10 and 12 year olds at €39-50 , now it’s ‘no age statement ‘ BS ….I miss the €34 Tesco Finest Irish Single Malt and original Cooley sourced West Cork Dha Chasca . Now there’s inferior stuff being peddled at twice the price .

By the way Bloom the garden show in the Phoenix Park has a few whiskey companies attending , at least some of whom ( eg Lough Ree!) will offer samples if you’re a bit chatty .It’s not quite the ‘shooting ducks in a barrel ‘ environment of Whiskey Live but if you like gardening it’s certainly a big bonus ! And unlike the non gardening event you stand a fair chance of being safe driving ( or even WALKING in the first 10-20 minutes !!!!) home

Hi folks what's the foxes bowel percentage of malt Vs grain

Bunnahabhain eirigh na greine this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Whats it like? Is that the one you can get travel retail?

I dont know ,very few quote this (Do any other than JJ Corry?) but a malt person wont be disappointed .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Looking forward to trying the double oaked Woodford.

Advertisement