Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,378 ✭✭✭✭ted1

ECars aren’t profit oriented, the staff receive no incentive for a profit , the shareholders don’t push or apply pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭loopymum

Had a horrible day when it came to charging yesterday. Yet again!

Frankfield in Cork. I needed to get a charge to finish my trip. Only other chargers on my route were SPOF.

Ended up queuing on the roundabout for 20 mins to get to the charger. Chargers on the app were available. Pulled into the chargers to see a dpd van just plugging in & the other charger had been in use for 15 mins or so. I thought feck it I will just have to wait, the other option was to go to Rochestown but only one hi speed charger there & a 50kw & knowing my luck they would be taken when I get there.

Omg! It was a brand new 24c range rover charging with no one sitting in it. I asked the dpd driver after 30 mins did he think he would be much longer & he said he needed at least an hour in total!

There was a guy in a helly hansen could be seen occasionally on the phone so I approached him eventually & asked him if the RR was his & did he think he would be much longer as he had been charging almost an hour at that stage. He reckoned he had only been charging 35 mins & wound too much longer that his RR was at 88% last time he looked. He was they almost an hour as I could see from the app. He eventually went & disconnected as I stayed hovering near him.

I was so polite everytime I asked either driver but it was horrendous.

Its ridiculous that there is no hub near Cork. 2 at frankfield is pathetic. It's normally full of taxis but at least they move off quickly enough.

Another dpd van pulled in behind his mate waiting to take his spot after about 30 mins. there needs to be a much heftier overstay fee.

From the time we took the ramp to the charger & left again it was at least 100 minutes for a 17 minute charge. It was appalling in a city the size of Cork.

I will have to think about reverting to the diesel for any trip outside the range

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The shareholders are the Irish Government. Excess profits are returned to the government as a dividend.

do you want proof that the government own 95%

do you want proof that the unions would not allow a handful of people receive incentives for making a profit from ECars ?

do you want proof the earth isn’t flat?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I know wikipedia isn't the most reliable of sources, but it lists the ownership as 95% Government and 5% employee ownership.

It is 95%. ( actually higher at the moment ), that’s. Typo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭joe1303l

What sort of clown would waste an hour of his time hanging around a Circle K paying 68c a kWh to charge a Hybrid Rangerover ?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Bannerman1969

Cork Airport another option. 2 x 50kW chargers (one for taxi but public can us it). My Weev app or ePower work and only 30c per kW. FYI

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭Genghis

Why have they not reduced price? Are they simply very bad at negotiating fixed price contracts, or do they need the revenue for something else? Are they even able to set their own prices?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭joe1303l

It’s effectively a state body which inevitably explains most of it’s shortcomings.

Without insight into their cost of operations it's hard to tell. They may have seen that customers were willing to pay the current prices justifying more investment into expanding the network.

We can only compare their prices to other commercial operators and see that they are broadly aligned.

If you think that operators are colluding over pricing you should contact the competition authority, if you think they are all just independently fleecing customers you've identified a gap in the market and it's time to start building out your own charging network.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭zg3409

To stay in the job and possibly get promoted etc. it looks good tombe making theoretical long term profits rather than losses. I think it's also structured so it could be sold off at a later stage. The provided a service at no fee for many years so it's a strange set up. The are the default and only provider to many in terms of lots of people have no idea if non esb options and queue at ESB sites while similar easygo etc sites are not in use today. I saw only today one car on ChaDeMo and another car on AC while probably a nearby 50kW lidl easygo site was probably unused less than 200 metres away. As a result they may have a monopoly mindset, with no serious competitors. They may also be more holistic have sites scattered all over the place with many sites in unviable locations, rather than cut throat commercial operators kicking ESB out of their sites and providing expensive basic services at motorways that are sure to be busy a lot and highly profitable.

It may be a measure of incompetence, commercial realities, taking the mick on pricing to justify more expansion. Remember if sites are profitable on paper based on today's profit margin it may justify expanding existing sites and building new sites (e.g. Blanchardstown), while if prices were lower it might make no sense. It helps staff job security, makes their CV look.good and possibly hiring more staff adding middle management promotion prospects etc. It's easier to get paid well if you are in a profitable expanding division. There may even be overtime, weekend work, on call rates etc.

Zero chance of it being sold off.

I guess the best way to set the price is based on utilisation. Charge enough so you are busy with little Queues.

charge to little and there will be constant queues, charge to much and you’ll have poor utilisation

ECars don’t get overtime. Its not easier to get paid well if you are I a profitable division. The organisational structure simply doesn’t allow it.

Post edited by ted1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭yermanthere

You're right. Cork city is a nightmare for charging. I often grab a fast charge at fermoy and again on the way north. Otherwise it's what you experienced, or a walk to a 11kw charger, costing nearly the same as a fast charger.

Cork really needs 3-4 hubs around the outskirts.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,645 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It cannot be profiteering, it is a free market and folks are free to use other networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭zg3409

It's not really free if one provider got massive help 10 years before anyone else, access to public parking spaces at possibly zero rent, access to motorway services for free, and is running not as a commercial model proving charging for nothing for years, and probably has more sites than anyone. Free market is not exactly how I would put that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

A lot of apologists on this thread weirdly.

Question - where's the value in public charging for the EV owner at the moment? (aside from Tesla).

Of the overcharging/profiteering by ecars, is what I'm looking for proof on... I have supplied my evidence of such and all you're doing is calling me names

How lovely

Yes but I expect the operators that aren't 95% public owned to be profiteering on the back of the publicly owned one doing the same.

There is no value, public charging will cost you more than your diesel, that's a problem some people aren't able to comprehend. I don't think they're apologists as such, I think it's more the "I'm alright with paying silly money so the rest need to suck it up" mentality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭eastie17

There is none, we’re being ripped off unless you have some sort of manufacturer deal like Polestar (and others I presume) with IONITY which is in the Tesla price range but there’s no IONITY south of Tipp or west of Athlone

Until 2018 ESB where operating the eCars network on behalf of the CRU, it wasn't a network that they owned. I suspect given the numbers of EVs on the road that it would have been impossible to operate a geographically diverse charging network in a commercially viable way until very recently. Even now I suspect a majority of eCars sites aren't breaking even if you include capital costs.

Charging networks and EV adoption are a chicken and egg problem. You need enough charging to enable EV purchases, and enough EV purchases to justify building out a charging network. We've seen from EasyGo what a purely commercial roll out without the support of combustion infrastructure looks like, and we've seen from CircleK/Applegreen/Maxol what it looks like when it is supported by convenience stores and fuel sales. Tesla and Ionity are the only networks that were able to build proper sites until very recently, both networks whose primary goal is to sell cars instead of electrons.

They did not own the network then, it was funded by direct state subvention. This was a mismatch of multiple projects including the ten-t project which also received EU funding. Ownership of the "network" was only transferred to them in 2018 as they were not making a profit when they were not pulling any revenue as charging was free. Other costs (customer support, billing etc) was funded direct from ESB group. I met with the then CER to debate the removal of the charging network from the RAB (regulated asset base) and essentially giving it to ecars. I wasnt in favor of it but the CER decided it was not in their scope to regulate charging.

Ecars providing free charging from 2011 to 2017 is not the same as ecars operating a for profit network now.

Ionity is 2X the price of supercharging and they (ionity) also received taxpayer funding.

It's not profiteering if they are charging market rates and any generated profit is returned to the exchequer anyway.

If you intend to run an EV only on public charging it does not make sense. That's not an Irish only issue either, it is true everywhere other than utopias like Norway (where, ironically, due to state subvention on domestic bills above 8c/kWh, it still isnt that much cheaper and is only made cheaper at all due to insane fossil fuel taxation) or California or Netherlands.

They set the market rate for fast chargers as the biggest operator in the country. The argument being made is they've set it too high, which you haven't denied

If you intend to run an EV only on public charging it does not make sense.

Yes, this is the problem, and the reason why we need a not for profit publicly owned chargepoint operator

Our rates are not dissimilar to charging networks in other European countries, I doubt eCars pricing has dictated pricing for an entire continent.

not going to happen, same reason we don’t have publicly funded not for profit supermarkets

We do not have publicly owned petrol stations and thus we do not need publicly owned charging stations.

They have not set it too high IMO, it reflects the cost of electricity plus supply charges plus a small margin. If it were overpriced you'd see others like easygo or ionity or circle k undercutting them. It's 50c/kWh in Norway, and 60+ in the rest of europe. UK is more expensive than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭eastie17

I pay 35 cents per KW on IONITY, 65 per KW on ESB equivalent fast charging.

• Advertisement

Your Ionity rate is funded by the member manufacturers who use the network to help sell cars, cost of infrastructure is built into the purchase price of your car. Just like the capital costs of the Tesla network are funded by vehicle sales.

Advertisement