Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭innrain

This one and the one in Honeypark are 100kW max with 50/50 split. Honeypark new unit replaced the AC charger so the old 50kW is still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,168 ✭✭✭MarkN

Got 95kW out of it anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,278 ✭✭✭markpb

The new 200kw chargers in Charlestown, Mayo all have contactless card readers as well but they’re covered with tape. It’ll be interesting to see what price difference eCars apply to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,796 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I think contactless is required on all installations from 2025.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,829 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I heard this as well but for the life of me I can't find a website link to back myself up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭jogdish

I remember hearing this too, some government document and also something about no stretch longer than so many km of motorway without chargers.

I generally charge at home, but did some motorway driving over December. The 'Plaza' group have awful sign posting, im guessing it's not an official motorway services or something, applegreen might have a charger here and there but at most two if you are lucky - its a complete mess. Best services I've used is Monasterevin, good parking for EV's and in it's own area for not messing with ICE car parking too much, plenty chargers and ESB easy to use.

AppleGreen Enflield Eastbound - one charger

• Registered Users Posts: 9,278 ✭✭✭markpb

I think it’s in a ZEVI strategy document.

You mean J14? Yes that was amazing when it first came online, it's a bit dated now though and could use a few more chargers. The one at J24, has much better chargers I find... It's plaza group though!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

It wasn’t that amazing in fairness…. For weeks you could only use 1 side of any of the HPC’s there….

It was sold to the public as a station that could charge 8 cars at a time, adding 100km in 6 minutes, stats that were unheard of in 2021. Of course the reality now is far from groundbreaking

• Advertisement

Tap function will not be active until the summer I’m told.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭wassie

Good to see decent charging options improving on the main NW roads now with Tuam, Charlestown and Donegal Town. Just not enough of them for peak times however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Garzard

Confused at the huge discrepancy in what I was charged at the 50kW unit in Park Ri today. Driving from Donegal and arrived with the Leaf at 20% SoC (50km left on battery) - typically what I arrive with in Kells on my route. Pulled a similar journey from December and while granted I was there 4mins longer this time, I've always gotten a consistent €13-14 for the period of time stayed and kWh used, and I've been using Park Ri for a year.

Another stay earlier in December at Park Ri from the same SoC and for 43mins, was €15.30 for 23.650 kWh. There has to be an error with how many kWh it claimed to have drawn today - over 38.35kWh which is almost an entire Leaf battery from 0%.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭yermanthere

Ye, according to that bill you plugged in with 4%, and charged til full.

Is it possible you were at 4%? And your GOM was off?

But it does look like your "charge" took double the energy of last example in nearly the same time. In a cold environment...

Something does appear off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭10-10-20

From what I can see, the 40kWh leaf will sustain a charge-rate of between 43kW and 45kW from ~5% to 60%. Therefore if you arrived in today with a lower change than the previous time (and don't forget that the ambient temperature today was lower than in mid/late Dec), so you would have consumed more energy for heating), then you would have taken on more change over the same duration.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭yermanthere

Sure 38 kw in 38 minutes is a constant 60kw. For all the charge from start to finish.

But looking at your receipts. There are two different charger codes. There are 2 chargers on site, a 50kw chademo, and a 70kw chademo ( 150 KW CCS).

The higher power charger has a slightly higher rate of cost. Is it possible you plugged into the fast-charger?

But still, an awful lot of KW for a 40 KW battery in 38 minutes.

Despite the cold today, the SoC was typical as I always arrive - 20% and 50km on the GOM. This rarely varies even on milder days.

Possible, but the fee was nothing close to this high before. With the distance from Donegal using most of the battery, I'm conservative with heating when making this drive. I was at this charger many times last year on similarly freezing days and circumstances around SoC, GOM, time stayed, kWh pulled and charges have always been consistent. Usually I might stay in the car with the A/C on while charging, but decided on eating instead this time, so no energy would have been lost for heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭KCross

There has to be an error with how many kWh it claimed to have drawn today - over 38.35kWh which is almost an entire Leaf battery from 0%

That ^^

Even if you max'd out the charger for the 37mins the max you'd be able to pull would be about 27kWh's. Your bill is for 38kWh's so clearly a billing error.

Correct with the charger codes, I didn't notice that at first. But today was at the smaller 50kW unit at €0.647/kWh.

And I'd usually pull between 20-23kWh in this timeframe due to the tapering off at around 75-80% SoC in the Leaf, waiting for more starts cutting it fine with an overstay fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭innrain

38.35 kWh in 37.75 minutes yields an average charging speed of 60.95 kW. I don't believe it is possible with the Leaf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭zzap64

I have a vague memory of something like this happening to someone before and the billing error was corrected automatically soon enough. I'd leave it a day or two to see if that happens here before bothering to contact them. I do agree using that amount of energy seems impossible in your case anyway.

I already reported via the app to question it, but thanks, I'll see if it resolves itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭Genghis

If it turns out to be a billing error, that's not good enough from ESB e-cars.

They determine the fees, meter the supply and take the money from your card. They must not make errors. Up to now I trusted they don't make errors, hopefully there is an explanation for what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,796 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Should never trust they don't make errors. Electricity suppliers are not (currently) subject to the same scrutiny that petrol and diesel sellers are

• Registered Users Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭ted1

*charge point operators. As opposed to electricity provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭eastie17

N17 Plaza Tuam, one of the two fast chargers has been down since before Christmas. Showing so on the app and has big signs on it.

It was actually a benefit to me last Friday night when charging, someone else was on the other side (side that would get my charge port closest to the charger) and the stupid cables dont reach across so ended up parking sideways, which would have blocked the other charger but seeing as its out of order.....

Daft, if they added another 2 feet to them it would make all the difference

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

This is why Applegreen have become my go to provider outside of Tesla... I know they are a bit more expensive, but I use public charging so infrequently that the cost is pretty much irrelevant to me... I just know that if I arrive an at Applegreen site, and a CCS plug is available, I'll be able to use it because the cables are long enough that it doesn't matter which side of a charger is available..

Can't say the same for eCars... I tried to use the new site at Northside shopping centre in the days leading up to Christmas (because parking there is a sh1tshow so I said why not take the charging space and top up a little), but the only space available was the 3rd space next to the 50kW charger, but I couldn't get the cable to fit no mater what way I parked. So I gave up and a regular space opened up just as I was pulling out of the charger space... Just realised now I probably could have used AC and my own cable, but that would be taking the pi$$

This is why I'll just never trust eCars because the app might show a charger as available, but it's still not guaranteed you'll actually get a charge due to the short cable lengths they use...

Sorted today - the error from yesterday was credited back to my account!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭Genghis

I try to stay in touch with this thread, I don't remember any recent updates on pricing.

In the article below, from August, CEO of eCars John Byrne said pricing would drop in the near future. The article later said near future meant during Autumn.

It's five months and no further news. Earlier in the year the EV association was loudly condemning the high prices, again I haven't heard them comment since.

Anyone heard anything?

• Advertisement

I’d imagine with the price drop announcements yesterday, it’s imminent.

Advertisement