Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,612 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Feeling very depressed and anxious today. Hard to look forward to Christmas when you've a load of problems on your mind. It's been like this for years for me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Same, both of us here are ill and the house is just a cloud of depression.. Having a hard time doing anything and doing nothing. Just can't settle..

Brain is fried. One thing after another here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Still the same here, Mrs G has an awful pain in her head from a double ear infection that just isn't shifting

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Robert Nairac

Medication hasn't worked for me and neither has talk therapies. Been trying these things for the last 10 years. I have Major Depressive Disorder and it is treatment resistant.

I am looking for information about what other options are out there. Could anyone provide me with any insight?

I saw that Trinity and St Patrick’s Mental Health Services were doing a ketamine trial a few years ago. Is ketamine an option? Is TMS treatment available in Ireland?

I was looking at St Pat's in-patient treatment, but it seems to be a lot of talk therapy/CBT which is not of much benefit to me.

Anyone kindly explain to me what other options are out there?

• Advertisement

I am not in the same situation as you, but I have a lot of problems that cause me stress, severe anxiety and depression. I found talk therapy to help a bit. I'm not on any medication.

The following won't fix underlying issues but they all give my mind a break ...and this helps me see the wood from the trees...

I'm just making a list here ... Some of this stuff is hard for me to do and apply, especially when I'm severely depressed. But they all work for me ...

Exercise, walking the dog, in nature. Not competitive, or ego centered exercise. Just walking.

Getting rid of physical belonging that are stressing me out. Clear out all the crap. Stop being manipulated by advertising. Keep a small set of high quality belongings.

I'm going to do a digital declutter before the new year. That stuff is just killing me. It's like all made up virtual WORK. I'm including low quality media like rubbish TV and low quality video games etc under here. And endless scrolling on my bloody phone.. Also, the news cycle. The news is toxic.

Avoid social media. I'm on boards, that's it. And I'm trying to avoid all the contentious channels on here. Every time I get a link to Facebook I feel like dying inside.

Doing necessary physical stuff. E.g. clean the house, garden, fix things. Note: I find it hard to do these things, but the relief/joy afterwards is uplifting and ongoing.

Avoid people who judge me, make me feel small, or have more problems to give me. I feel this a lot, especially at Christmas time. So, I've learned to keep my mouth shut, be nice, and move on and away.

I've a friend I can tell everything to. Not the same as therapy, but great to get all the stuff out.

If there is something stressing me, take a simple action to deal with the stress. Make the phone call ... Another very hard thing for me to do, but the benefit goes on. Not doing anything is a terrible continuous burden on my mind.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Finding things very difficult again. Not sleeping, anxiety, black and white thinking, job interview rejection and various other personal things. Quite unmotivated with hobbies and so on. Don't see my therapist now until mid-January. Called the Samaritans earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

It's important to try and get the thoughts out of your head. Be it journalling, scrap papers, even an audio recording diary.

Just anything to get stuff out of your head, and onto something where you can look at it in the third person. As a viewer, you can sort of be your own therapist.

Counselling has helped. It can help enormously. But research the therapist you're planning to attend. I've had a mixed bag with therapists and counsellors. I've been more lucky with private therapists. But you still get the odd one who's not right for your needs.

I'm just wishing you the best of luck.

Not easy and compounded by time of year, try not to be too critical or hard on yourself, remember that you wouldn't let your friend talk to themselves the way you are talking to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Awful panic attack last night well this morning 4am throat closed up a little and starting chocking on my food in bed ,I got up and went outside for 10 minutes and that kinda helped me ,I've been having these on and off for years since I was 15 and I'm 26 now 🙃

• Advertisement

They can be seriously rough. Had one of those a few Christmasses ago. I'd have been in better stead if I'd gone toe to toe with Tyson Fury or something .

Is there something in your life that's been stressing you out? Anything like money or even a family member being ill? That kind of thing can play on our minds. It might also be important to look into breathing techniques or relaxation techniques to practise.

I know for myself, alcohol and excess sugar can make me very 'on edge' (I cut out alcohol). So I have to kind of keep tabs on that, as it can set off my anxiety. Even excess caffeine too.

Just have a look at what might be triggering it. Even looking back at events that might have set off panic attacks before. Even journaling or writing them down. It can help to be prepped in case of one. Then practise breathing techniques.

It might be a physical thing or partly physical. E.g. Too much chocolate = acid reflux = wake up in a panic choking on that.

Anxiety killing me today.

Load of things I need to do..but can't face doing anything.

And when I do have time off I can neve switch off.

I was attacked and scooter got robbed off me Start of November that could be it also having a alcoholic abuser dad didn't help either, I thought I sorted all this out with years of counselling but obviously not 😞 I just wish I didn't suffer with depression and anxiety 😔

It wasn't although I do need to stop eating in bed I've gained weight and bad habits

The robbery probably brought up some stuff. Crud like that, can trigger something. Bring up stuff we might have buried rather than dealt with. But at least you're trying to deal with stuff from your past. I know someone who had an alcoholic, abusive father. She became the image of him, herself. Down to the addictions and violence. Didn't deal with her issues, and used alcohol to self medicate, mostly because her doctor wouldn't provide her with medication for anything more than a week, because she'd tried to overdose. So she'd drink, and become violent and abusive. She'd pretty much blackout and not remember anything.

The fact you're attempting to deal with things makes you a better person than many.

We all wish we didn't have mental health problems, but it's moreso if society treated mental health as an actual health problem, rather than an 'inconvenience'. Might very well change people's perceptions of it. And create better services around the country.

Some foods can upset our minds more than others. Especially Cheese. Unhealthy eating has affected my mindset in the past. It's important to try and eat healthy stuff.

I never eat in bed. Never got the habit. Might keep a bottle of water nearby, if I need it.

Yes I'm gonna go to councilling again and see how it goes , the meds I'm on at night makes me hungry so its between that and force of habit

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

Just saw this post. Yes Pats definitely have (or had) a ketamine trial, I met someone who was on it. They also do ECT. I would think it is definitely worth your while considering an inpatient stay if you have health insurance. If you decide to get a GP referral make sure he/she puts down that your depression is treatment resistant and preferably outline in as much detail as possible medications that have been tried and haven't worked, and relevant timescales.

In general I would recommend St Pats, they are not perfect but I have a fair amount of time for them.

Best wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭IpreDictDeatH

We're do you go to research private phychiatrists? I've been misdiagnosed via cluan mhuire (my GPS opinion also) and we need a second opinion, maybe with someone with specialty in bi polar. As I am not in area for other public mental health services I have to go private but have no idea how or where to find them???

Your GP should be able to lead this, there is irishpsychiatry.ie also but I'd be more inclined to ask your GP or even local pharmacist to start you off. All else fails come back here

• Advertisement

Thanks for the response.

I am somewhat skeptical of ECT having read a little bit about it. Will speak to my doctor soon.

Do you know if St Pat's is the only place in Ireland that does ketamine treatment? Are there any other ways to receive ketamine treatment? I couldn't find much info searching online.

I did read about some kind of ketamine nasal spray, but again, I'm not sure if it is even available in Ireland or if a doctor or psychiatrist could just give you a prescription for it.

Sorry, don't know about the ketamine. I haven't heard of anywhere else providing it, even on trial basis.

In bed with a cold I can't shake off. Took sick leave today as it has been dragging on all week. But the real issue is that I can't even sleep or rest worrying about stuff. Including taking sick leave. I need a factory reset. My brain is going round and round in circles.

Thanks for the response.

I'll try to get more information about it. I know there are several clinics in the UK offering it but not I'm not sure what the process would be like trying to get treatment there.

I'm not sure. I doubt if your Irish health insurance assuming you have insurance would cover any UK clinics but who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 QuayBoarder

To the person who asked re Ketamine. Google Ketamine depression UK. Note the statement from The Royal college of Psychiatrists, can be seen scrolling down and an article on the Guardian website. This is not medical advice

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭IpreDictDeatH

I'm looking for a second opinion apart from cluan mhuire so I've to go private. St pats is 6 to 9 months wait! Gp hasn't any other idea and googling private osychs doesn't show up much hope. So frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Strange that a GP wouldn't be able to refer you to other private psychiatrists - that's really the GPs job.

If you are near a university there are often psychiatrists attached to them who will often have a private practice, it's how we found one in Galway

• Advertisement

There is always the option of online therapy. (Just avoid betterhelp. There's been exposes on them and how unreliable they are. No guarantee you're even getting a qualified professional therapist/ counsellor/psychiatrist).

I had to do online due to difficulties getting to a therapist in person.

Advertisement