Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I'm on my 3rd week of meds and I can feel the difference already, thankfully. I hope it lasts.

Has anyone's GP put them on the HSE Silvercloud programme? I'm doing it now and am finding it helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Oh I love tea 🍵 have to have a few cups a day but other than that yes I'm keeping busy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

Keep trying. Sometimes it's a dose change needed, sometimes it's a combo of different meds, it's a case of trial and error unfortunately. You will find something.

I have "treatment resistant depression" which is what they term it after trying a bunch of different meds. It's a pain. Current meds are keeping me fairly stable, I'm usually happy if I can get 6 to 9 months from any given dose/combo, think this one is over a year. I'm about 17 years on from my first antidepressants. Hmmm, this is meant to be comforting but it's not reading like that

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Robert Nairac

Thanks to both of you for the responses.

I had to try to convince the doctor to let me try another antidepressant. I have taken Mirtazapine, Venlafexine and Sertraline already. Hoping for some good luck.

Is it your gp or have you been referred to the local mental health team?

• Advertisement

Might be worth asking for a referral, the mental health team will be better equipped and used to meds adjustments, though you might have to stick with the gp if there's a waiting list.

I usually get the mental health team to deal with all things med related unless it's difficult to get a sooner appointment than whatever is scheduled, in which case I'll see my gp in the mean time and they're very supportive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

Overwhelmed. Can't get anything done or move forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

The very same, if I'm not numb I'm angry and upset

• Registered Users Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Had to take a few mental health days. My stomach was doing a number on me too, which didn't help. Seems lot of us are in the same boat. Probably isn't helping the budget is on the way too.

Did anyone else just stay in bed for Friday 13th?

A combo of slowly recovering from a stomach bug, and the last time a Friday 13th rolled around, a family member had a hospital stay (for something that turned out to be superfluous- a wrong diagnosis but days in hospital).

Didn't realise the latter part until today, when someone reminded me. Funny how the body 'remembers' when the brain doesn't.

Got more bad news during the week about a very close loved one. It's just an endless mental health and seriously life threatening and limiting struggle they are going through. There seems to be no end in sight. It just sucks the joy out of everything and is a huge worry. On top of everything else. I'm just sitting here and just feel helpless and hopeless.

As before + this weather + season + work crushing me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Sitting in a numb void mostly myself, it's awful.

Been under the weather with gastro for the last two weeks (started off as just a bad upset stomach that went on for a week or so, then Sunday night/ Monday morning I started vomiting. Only had one major bout of that, didn't have a repeat of it, thankfully).

Energy levels are sapped. Spent one or two days in bed because I was just exhausted. Haven't had a bug like this in years, probably a decade or more. Only really feeling a little like myself tonight. My eyesight was affected by this for the last few days-found it hard to read or even type, and if I dropped something, there wasn't a hope I could find it. Apparently, temporary blurred vision was due to dehydration, and not being able to absorb vitamins from my food. I did go to the doctor (I knew I had to when my tongue turned white), but wasn't much help they could prescribe. Just what to avoid, and over the counter stuff to help prevent dehydration and vomiting. And a sick note to explain any absences. Seems it's a nasty bug going around.

I don't like being sick, especially this sick. I tend to feel unproductive, because that's what happens. I can't do anything. I have to ask for help. That it can turn me into a serious hypochondriac.

Incredible feeling of dread and exhaustion. Not good. Need to go to bed early tonight. And hopefully get a good sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Manc-Red_

I’m 6 months into a double skull fracture from a crash that ultimately wounded my frontal lobe from the blood across my brain.

I was lucky enough that the medicine they used in Beaumount stopped me from having any more seizures and I’ve slowly recovered to what I am now.

Days without work and the overthinking can be tiresome because I know that it’s most likely bs and my worst fears is all made up in my head. I’ll know from the brilliant doctors next month in Peamount if I can work again but recently I’ve passed my drivers test again in the IWA to get out again.

Things are looking up but the monotony of daily life now can get on my wick and my missus listening to the same c*ap from me must be over-bearing.

Sorry just needed to vent & keep going.

Better Born Lucky Than Rich.

Its better out than in, so to speak. There's no need to apologize for venting. If its held in, it consumes us, when it's let out, it eases it significantly.

You've been through a great ordeal, and I'm glad that you're making a recovery. I'd imagine your wife looks on the positive side of things- she'd rather be listening to you vent, then the horrible situation of not hearing your voice again.

From the sounds of things, you're making great progress. I know the monotony of the day to day can get tiresome. But if you do anything from journaling, to word puzzles, it can help a lot.

• Advertisement

Yeah I am making progress and even the driving again had come 7 months early with the licence from the IWA.

Ive been told my speech and communication is very good and new techniques in dealing how to remember stuff that’s new to me has been brilliant.

In the beginning when I got tested after the accident I couldn’t name what a kangaroo was. I was able to talk but when I look back on it now - I was honestly grey and colourless throughout. Now I’ve got my colour back and I truly know how lucky I am.

Work could happen again next month and to even have a chance of that is against the odds.

One thing I always believed is that I can do this and I will. You got to believe and be a tad lucky that it’s not worse initially.

Thanks for sharing that. Great to see you are recovering.

I know that when I am very anxious and stressed my thoughts and actions just repeat on and into the bad negative stuff as I withdraw into myself. And I am unbearable. But I definitely recognise that state now. My current and next steps are to get out of that hole as soon as it happens.

Ya know what’s working very well for me ?

CPD

The only real truth about overthinking and it becoming a negative is that we’re the one who does it to ourselves and it can’t be real.

Never the less it’s not a nice experience but I swear to ya the likes of walking and doing my steps for the day and getting 10K in boosts me.

With people I’ve found is that they struggle to relate to this and keep asking abrupt questions that tbh I’ve reacted to aggressively initially after the accident but now I’ve just learn to say - what can ya do. It’s their problem.

Everything you think affects you and your gut feeling. Try think differently and things will change for you.

Don’t get me wrong I’ve had very bad days but ya know what? It’s a new challenge for me to feel ok and not feel like sh*te constantly. I shall win.

You will too.

Continued bad news last night. I can't think, nevermind work.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

It's been 3 years. It's back after a personal situation triggered me two weeks ago. 2 weeks of total numb, inability to move and function normally. If I didn't have two children (+ a 3rd on the way), I doubt I would be even out of bed typing this. It's them I feel more sorry for to be honest as they go about their day with no knowledge of my thoughts or how I am feeling.

I just can't shake the feeling in my stomach and my racing thoughts just will not stop.

That hardest part is being afraid to tell anybody, though my partner is starting to pick up clues. This fear comes from a similar manic situation I went through 3 years ago that turned my life upside down at the time. Took a long time to build myself back to where I am now and at the flick of a switch it's back to haunt me.

I'm on the fence whether to take a few mental health days from work and trying to decide if this will actually benefit me with less structure in my day.

Get to your GP asap and don't worry about calling helplines either, they'll have all faced similar and helplines are there for exactly this, there's online text or email from some too. Also keep posting here, someone around a lot.

I'm so sorry you've had a "flare up" as it were, try to remember that you've come through before so the fact is you can again, as fcuking dark as it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

Thank you for the kind words and support. I’m trying to figure in my head the best approach to speak to someone.

I haven’t eaten for 2 weeks really, which doesn’t help. very little appetite.

I have come through it after a big fight and a lot of time, I’m scared I don’t have the energy to do it this time.

• Advertisement

Trying a different medication. No benefit. Treatment resistant depression. What do I do now?

Advertisement