Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another random person hospitalized after unprovoked attack in Dublin city center

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭juno10353

In European countries the police are treated respectfully. The police national and garda civil in Spain are a good example. Plus all look fit and healthy, and yes many have tattoos. Local police also act as crossing guards at primary schools, so know children and families in area from young age and are visable in community.

In comparison, yesterday we had a garda car rear ended and then side smashed by adult thug who was given bail as he was carer in community. Total disrespect by attacker and by courts, shown to our police force.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

So its not possible for an irish political party to move from its base (FFG from centre right to centre left), but its perfectly possible for a UK party to do same?

Whichever way you cut it, the Tories are further right than our Govt and in the UK, the Tories are still mostly considered centre right.

We have a very liberal political outlook in ireland which means that centrist is as far right as it is possible to go for any major party.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,841 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The problem with this country is, as per your first "Now check this out" picture, if they were Gardai the 3 of them would be up on assault charges and possibly jailed. Doesn't matter what led to it. In order to get that type of force over here, you need to get the public behind you, and the Irish public won't. We may want it to, I too think that the carrot is no longer working so it's time to return to the stick, but that won't fly in modern Ireland. The holier than thou elite are too well protected and immune to these activities that they won't back a tougher approach.

This is the country the people voted for. Most of us saw it coming a mile away, but here we are with one of the softest govermnets not willing to do anything of substance about it. I don't know politics, but I do know the answer is NOT Sinn Fein, who have a history of slashing Garda funding/support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

you need to get the public behind you, and the Irish public won't.

For sure.

The public won't like it initially, it's not something they'd reflexively support, as thoroughly evidenced via responses in this thread.

People baulk at change, especially radical change (exactly what the situation calls for).

I'd bet the public don't support the hate speech laws either.

Public opinion and government implementation though? I mean if the wheels were put in motion, what is the public going to do, protest march against police authority, which the "far right" would probably use as an excuse to kick off another riot?

And yes Sinn Fein in their current form act as opposition and votes supporting them are more protest at failures of the current government, not actual support for their propositions or representations; they'd be a disaster, but lack of progressive moves by FF/FG means the electorate wants to express their displeasure -- what better way than advocating for the opposition.

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Baba Yaga

this...dont know alot about the rest of europe but in Italy where i regularly go its the same,the Polizia and the Carabinieri all look fit, both young and older,seem to have the respect from both the locals and the judges,can be helpful to the extreme(certainly to me a few times when i got lost) you can have a bit of a laugh and joke with them but there is a line you dont cross,saw the Carabinieri in action once,two of them were trying to quieten down a few lads that were getting out of hand,the lads didnt want to be quiet,within what seemed like seconds about a dozen more Carabinieri appeared from nowhere,batons drawn,couple of swift thumps,had the lads in handcuffs and actually threw them into the back of a van,the original two Carabinieri went back to strolling around the square,every one else went back to their food and drinks,and the van and the rest of the Carabinieri disappeared...we need this here in Ireland now...

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Tippman24

Maybe it's time to bring back the birch. Your Anto and Deco might have a greater respect if they know the consequences that await if they step out of line in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Talking to someone last week and they had to call the Gardai for scrotes who were trying all the car doors and kicking front doors on the road.

She said she was speaking to a nice Garda on the phone who said he would love to help but they have been instructed not to engage with these scrotes. He offered to send a car to drive down the road sometime later that night and that might help. Some of her neighbors had to come out and patrol the road because when they found a house with noone in they would go around the back and start kicking the back door.

They followed them for a couple of hours with the scrotes calling them names and throwing things at them and eventually they got on the last bus into town. This was a nice quiet neighborhood. Looks like they came out for the night to see what they could rob. No need to worry about the gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,067 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Still cant believe that Thornton hall was never built, they even got a far as building the roads into it. Surely there is now enough political will to build more prisons to house these scrotes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Funny how the person who owned the farm was related to someone in government. Money got handed over and then it got abandoned.

Put it this way.

1) predictive behavior, is always more effective than

2) reactive behaviour.

(Citation: Lisa Feldman Barrett -- MIT Neuroscientist).

Jailing scrotes is the definition of a reaction. Allowing them to be degenerates, then reacting to that.

Community policing = predictive. Cause why?

We KNOW how they're going to behave, what they're going to do.

I used to use this expression more so in relation to prostitutes but hey....... if the shoe fits:

"You can never trust a scrote........ but you can always trust a scrote, to be a scrote".

Police go about their days work, knowing what they'll be confronted with, but lack of political resolve to genuinely graduate beyond historical precedent (unweaponed, unarmed, zero judicial or political backing to take affirmative measures in addressing the issue), and what can they do?

The answer is - they can not address the issue.

They can't even so much as make a dent in it.

The persistent subculture of degeneracy that is the blight of this entire country, they can't even say "boo" to that goose.

Getting them off the streets has conclusively proven itself, to not be any kind of deterrent.

It simply puts that behaviour on stand by, ready to take up where it left off.

It's basically spawned a culture of compulsive re-offending, for that very reason -- it doesn't deter a thing.

A deterrent, is effective community police work.

You cant commit crimes on the street from prison.

The issue we have is almost no custodial sentencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

In estates & suburbs all over dublin crime and anti social behavior has gone from being condoned to celebrated, look at the scrambler funerals for these scrotes when one of them dies. It used to be a few bad apples but in the past 20 years the bad apples became the majority in these areas, and if you're not involved directly then your cousin/uncle/nephew is. None of these people are going to vote for a law & order party, it'd be political suicide for any TD to run on Gardai & Judicial reform.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,067 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

None of these people are going to vote fullstop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mikethecop

Teenager serving life for murdering woman shouts, ‘F**k off, get me out of this court’ after losing appeal | Independent.ie

sounds like he has learned his lesson and is benefiting from the social care and offender centered regime in oberstown , Did he really think he was gong to get out ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Absolute guarantee he will re-offend, no matter when they let him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Maybe if we didn't imprison him and held his hand and gave him hugs he would be different!

More faciliteez surely could have done the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,499 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Looks like it's dawning on him that his old life is gone 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Were there any protests by the locals over this, or over Thiago Cortes who was run over and killed by joyriders near where this lady was murdered? It's funny because the locals seemed so concerned for safety for women and children when some foreigners were being moved into the old ESB building nearby, they even blocked traffic in North Strand and access to the Port Tunnel.

What is the point you are trying to make?

Every man and his dog know that it is very difficult to get to sent to prison in Ireland and there are people with scores of convictions still walking the streets.

We absolutley need more prison spaces to get these people off the streets and deter others.

People only commit the crimes we allow them to. We are simply too soft and are under resourced with prison space.

Its an obvious repercussion of not punishing the first offenders.

If kids see other kids getting away with assault, robbery, antisocisl behaviour, then of course more kids are going to join in.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Baba Yaga

not likely...sure they celebrate those wee degnerates

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Det Sgt Casey said that the teenager had 31 previous convictions, including two attempted robberies, five robberies, one production of an article, one assault causing harm, and a number of drug offences.

The teenager was also charged with an incident in a Spar shop on O’Connell Street at 5.30am on the same date. Det Sgt Casey said the teenager went to the till with sweets behind his back and said to the shopkeeper: “I have a f*****g blade, what are you going to do about it?” Another employee arrived and the accused left the shop, but as he was leaving, he said: “You don’t know who you’re dealing with.”

Seems like a nice yong chap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Clearly misunderstood.

That's 31 times useless parent(s) did not take him in hand.

Jesus, I can imagine my mother's face if I or any of my siblings had even brought the guards to our door once.

So you're saying, so much of the population is now made of up scrotes or scrote advocates, that campaigning for law and order would be "political suicide" come election time?

lol

The holier than thou elite are too well protected and immune to these activities that they won't back a tougher approach.

This is MUCH closer to the truth.

I personally, hell many of us know this type exactly.

They're not exposed to the filth, they don't have to contend with it day to day, so their rationale is..... why have a tougher police force that impinges on their sensibilities and life in fantasy land? (i.e. their sheltered bubble).

See thing is, their point of view of the world, the culture and thought framework they were raised into -- he probably thinks he legitimately didn't do anything wrong.

Dublin city, hell Ireland as a whole, CONDONES scumbag culture.

So if kids are raised into it, brought up not only to believe it's okay, but actually glamorous, and feel incentivized to emulate that behaviour........ and suffer social ramifications for non-adherence...... what other result could we be left with?

Which is why I state and restate that to bring about the necessary culture shift politicians are droning on about, we require improved COMMUNITY POLICING.

Drew Harris made an astute statement in relation to gangland feuds: "My gang (referring to AGS) is bigger than your gang".

That's what it comes down to.

AGS are a gang, but a politically regulated one, that's centered around maintaining law and order, not perpetuating disorder.

But at the moment they don't have the tools, judicial or political backing to essentially assert themselves -- so how can they win that battle?

And they're definitely not.

Whatever gang sets the "trend" influences the next generation. And at the moment, the scumbag gang rules supreme.

It's a political travesty....... all whilst our Justice Minister and head of state make false declarations that "all is well".

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement