Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another random person hospitalized after unprovoked attack in Dublin city center

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

She's a social media queen.

Wants to make the best out of however many years she's got left before her looks give out.

But the ugly question is -- who would replace her even if she was ousted?

A member of Sinn Fein?

Do we really, for a single moment imagine that that would fair any better?

Again this is all insanely theoretical.

It suggests that NGO's have more power that government officials.

We've never actually seen anything to suggest or validate that.

As I see it, it's instating policy which markedly breaks away from conventions.

It's part of our historical culture to essentially pander to "lower classes".

Change of precedent, change of mindset -- someone just has to step up and implement it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

The death penalty??? You think a state that kills and beats it own citizens is a good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Have you ever been to Singapore?

Great place, no crime, no drugs, good economy.

Works for them.

Used to work for us so maybe time to bring them back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

You are wrong there, the vast vast majority of people in communities all over this country have great respect for the gardai and our laws. There are some individuals who do not and that problem needs to be addressed urgently. What do you think a Dutch commissioner would do?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭plodder

There's probably some truth to that. Our system of government is a lot more reactive than proactive and there's no way that the legal profession is battering down their doors to tell them to change the system.

I think there is also a long embedded view that "prison doesn't work"; they are "universities of crime" and so on. They at least work to the extent of keeping streets safer than they otherwise would be. You'd wonder as well, if a violent addict is locked up for a couple of years, instead of a couple of week or months, would they have a better chance of kicking the habit in prison? Less crowded prisons might be better environments for controlling problems like drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

you get thrown in prison for smoking a joint, f*ck that

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I used to live there. Tis a great place. They have signs in the back of taxis "No crime does not equal no crime - be careful" Or something like that.

In another thought, I was over a mates gaff the other day and they were watching Cool Hand Luke. It got me thinking, maybe we need to instate a chain gang system. Not as extreme as the death penalty but some hard labour might do these lads some good. 10 hour days digging up dirt to make roads or even the foundations of a new prison.

As long as we don't go down the prison for profits route this could help the government out with some of these over budget projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Baba Yaga

thats a good idea...12 hour shift on a chain gang,hand digging foundations for what ever needs to be built,no hiring out to private jobs though and serve the full sentence,no time off for being good or whatever...or a stint on an off-shore island in a tent,which ever works best

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Totally agree.

Start with juvenile offenders picked up at home every morning wearing their orange overalls and brought out to sweep and pick up rubbish along the roads and housing estates or other such outdoor work under supervision. Bus them about ten miles from home and work back from there.

Cause any problem or slacking and you wear leg chains for your month.

Supervision by retirees paid minimum wage to sit in the van taking the sacks of rubbish and watch them.

The shame and derision experienced might limit reoffending!

I think he/she would introduce policies with proven efficacy;

How and when to carry arms, the nature policing should take.

Basically what's worked over there, introduced here.

Stats speak for themselves.

Approach to policing in Ireland simply isn't with the times.

We NEED modernization.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭suvigirl

An Garda Siochana have modernised already over the last few years, to their detriment in a lot of ways.

Gone are the local guards, who knew everybody and were part of the community. It's not guns that members need, it's information and intelligence, which is learned on the ground, in the community.

Dutch police can shoot people in the back as they run away, you're laughing if you think that will ever happen here. Rightly it won't

Gone are the local guards, who knew everybody and were part of the community.

You don't think local guards know their community?

Was policy introduced that mandatory obliviousness should be part of their protocol moving forward?

It's not guns that members need, it's information and intelligence

Yeah those gangs of feral youth, substance abusers, organized beggars, etc etc. I'm sure some heavy intel is required to triangulate them.

That is of course if one were to overlook the reality they're on every street corner and blatant anti-social behaviour is essentially perpetrated the entire country over with impunity.

Dutch police can shoot people in the back as they run away

Yeah I'm sure that's absolutely a common occurrence over there.

Cops just blasting civilians in the back randomly........ 🤨

Again, part of the historical national ethos here as to why we can never modernize policing standards.

"No no, we couldn't be doing dat now..... Jayzus no....."

There are no local guards.

What modernising exactly? Plenty of modernisation has resulted in less gardai on the streets. Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Baba Yaga

yeah,we need more gards on the street,walking around their area,driving around their area,stopping trouble before it starts,arrest offenders,less time on paper work,should be civilian staff to do that and build more prisons! we have the money it seems,time to stop wizzing it away!

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭Floppybits

If my memory serves me correctly the PD's tried to bring in or did bring in the Garda Reserve in the late 90's/early 2000's and met with a lot backlash on it. I think the backlash was mainly about what the Garda Reservist could or could not do and plus what data they would have access too. In saying that I would have no problem with Garda Reserves being there to do paperwork and do take details of crimes or whatever reported by the public in the Garda station. I lived in England and had a bike stolen but to get the insurance I had to report it stolen, so I went to the police station and it was a civilian member that recorded the details and not an actual Police Officer.

The main we need here is the Gardai being more visible on the streets and also on the roads. You can drive the length and breath of the country and you wouldn't see a Garda car.

Nice police presence in Dublin currently.

No doubt it will revert as the recent memories fade though.

• Advertisement

Ever notice also, coppers with batons or some kind of visible weapons, by default carry more authority.

I mean, skobes and scrotes act like degenerates, quite simply cause they CAN.

They're like infants in a creche that act crazy cause there's no teacher or authority presence to keep them in check.

Effective police PRESENCE is a preventative measure, but looking at a regular copper in their uniform, no weapons, potentially walking by themselves, they just don't carry that sense of authority that makes a scrote think, "uh-oh, better sharpen up here".

I compare this with continental police, I'll defer to Dutch police again.

Batons, guns, spray, tasers, walking in pairs, backed up by plain clothes officers, riot mobiles.

It basically screams, "don't f**k about!!".

Increased police presence is encouraging, but the sooner politicians realize exactly what they're preaching half the time: "it's a CULTURE we're trying to address here. A way of thinking. A commonly accepted form of behaviour, from which inevitable filth/degeneracy will manifest";

And then implement the effective counter measure.

Authority, as outlined.

So simple.

But the conservatives scream it might violate their "civil rights"........ and by "civil rights" what we all know is in fact...... their tender sensibilities.

As far as law and order goes, you simply cannot have your cake and eat it. Realities need to be taken stock of.

Gardai carry batons and spray, backed up 24 hours by armed response gardai, with Tasers and guns.

Amazing the ideas people have about Gardai when they clearly don't know the first thing about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Can you just stop posting..you haven't a clue. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Varik

It'll be fine, the public just have to alter how they report crime so they keep it going.

"Hey Garda, the Far right are currently stripping copper form the walls next door"

"It was like charlottesville all over again, the far right reversed into my car in the tesco car park and left the scene. The paints all scratch up"

I saw two coppers that looked more like armed response that conventional beat police yesterday.

The only time I've EVER seen a copper armed with batons.

I see regular beat police, armed with a radio.

I have NEVER seen them carry batons.

I don't know about pepper spray, and I've certainly never witnessed some scrote get their comeuppance by way of said spray.

I understand the DoJ are trying to pass a bill currently giving beat police the right to carry tasers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,933 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

All Gardai carry batons and pepper spray. The reason you haven't noticed them is your unfamiliarity with police equipment and policing in general.

The DOJ aren't trying to pass any bill to allow Gardai to carry tasers, because A. Government departments don't put forward bills in the Dail, B. No Dail act being passed would be required to allow Gardai to carry tasers, C. There is talk to the Public Order Unit being trained and equipped with them, not all Gardai.

As usual, a tenuous grasp on the matters you're posting on.

I see scrote culture run amok and largely laugh in the face of law enforcement (or riot and attack them, as was the case recently).

I believe law enforcement should have more authority to keep said culture in check.

I believe both my sight and beliefs are correct in this case.

• Advertisement

As usual, playing the 'oh focus on the important issues' card to cover up your blatant lies and lack of knowledge.

You started off mouthing about the equipment Gardai should have and when you made yourself look foolish by suggesting equipment they already have, you're now backtracking 'oh these are irrevelant details'. You're the one that started off talking about it like it was the most important issue facing policing!😂

Post edited by Witcher on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement