Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another random person hospitalized after unprovoked attack in Dublin city center

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭beeker1

The Gardai do the right thing , arrest etc , it's the judiciary who despite the accused having 200+ convictions apply time served or suspended sentences , how many of what should have been incarcerated go on to commit heinous crimes ! I'm fuming 😤

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

There's simply nowhere to put them. Judges are of course fully cognisant of that fact, and I don't doubt that it factors into their sentencing decisions, perhaps even under a degree of political pressure to act as a mud guard for our inept politicians. What's the point of giving some lad 20yrs if the have no prision cell to put him in?

The government paid way over the odds for the Thornton Hall site to build a new prison in the early 2000's, it will never be built and as far as I know they are currently trying to flog it to developers. There's your real problem, our national preference for fannying around the edges of a problem and never addressing the root cause. Sure it's the same with every element of the state, from transport (they've been building the metro since I was in college in the 90's) and health (*ahem*childrenshospital*ahem*)

They have spent as much on consultants, advisors, quangos over the decades talking about building stuff as they would have actually building things.

Post edited by conorhal on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Absolute pussy with the knife. Beat the tar out of each other, grand, but be a f*cking man about it and have a fair fight.

Someone might want to tell Toby that it's spelled Éire. It seems like it might be very important to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭plodder

Caught a bit of Joe Duffy today where a woman reported about a security guard for a shop on Moore St. who was brutally attacked yesterday. It sounded horrendous and as usual over absolutely nothing, or nothing more than being asked to stop blocking the entrance to the shop.

If the problem is a lack of prison spaces, then why aren't we building more prisons? Seems logical to me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,174 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

And the joke is that he can't be named cos God bless him he's only a child.

Time to start naming them once they get to 12, cos that's the age they seem to start committing serious criminal acts these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Baba Yaga

we need more prison space now...in the mean time i know several uninhabited islands off the coast would do fine,wouldnt even need buildings or guards,a tent and sleeping bag dropped with each scobie,far enough off the coast so swimming is out,food drop once a week and if you survive your sentence you more than likely wouldnt want to go back....its either that or demand our politicians start building prisons now cause the footlocker sponsored scobie is running completely out of control...

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Kalimah

What I have been suggesting for quite a while since the softly softly approach doesn’t seem to be working. We could make a few quid out of it by selling the footage to a few tv companies abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭nachouser

Prisons are full. Circa 80k per year to house a prisoner. About 424m going by the numbers above.

https://www.irishprisons.ie/information-centre/statistics-information/2015-daily-prisoner-population/2023-prison-population/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

The genuine issue is Irish politicians and their well to do ideals.

Only after the capital city turns into a free-for-all circus act do they commit to arming officers with...... tasers.

Something they, at the very least, should have had routinely anyways.

Communities don't respect law enforcement, and how would they?

They have very little at their disposal with which they can enforce a damn thing.

I stand by my original proposition that the national police service would benefit from introducing an experienced Dutch commissioner, at least long enough to bring things up to speed.

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Disgraceful attack on a person just doing their job, hope the victim will be ok and the person responsible is charged and prosecuted.

Looking at those figures it's clear there's not enough prison spaces, it must be soul destroying for gardai and judges to see offenders walking around with dozens of convictions. We either need a new prison plus a system for young/teenage offenders, or else the government needs to look at other ways to punish less serious and minor crimes.

A poster (don't know which thread) suggested public community service. We have lots of public spaces that need regular maintenance, parks, rivers, street cleaning, graffitti removal, damage after rioting etc. I don't think the poster meant that we should move paid jobs over to offenders through community service, just that the community service could be an additional resource to state agencies like the OPW or local councils. The other suggestion I read recently was to have higher fines for less serious offences and deduct the fine at source, ie from wages, salary, DSP payments. AFAIK, a judge can order a maintenance payment to be deducted at source, so it is possible. If the offender is under eighteen then parents should pay the fine - nobody likes a hit to their pocket.

What do they do in other countries that works? Would community service or hefty fines deter people from breaking the law?

Comparatively:

Ireland: 85 prisoners per 100,000 of the population

Netherlands: 54 prisoners per 100,000 of the population

36% less, from a VASTLY more ethnically diverse population, which in theory should mean their numbers should be exponentially higher.

My guess it is quite simply because of more effective community police work.

But wait.

Number of police per 100,000 of the population?

Ireland: 293

Netherlands: 295

So unless those extra 2 officers per 100k of the population are pulling some serious overtime;

Obviously there's some policing protocols we're falling short on that could evidently be implemented.

Besides which, you think scrotes give a damn about a few months "inside"?

To them it's "vacation".

It might keep them off the street, but where's the punishment? Where's the deterrent?

Simple answer is of course, there is none.

They get out and go back to exactly whatever malfeasance landed them in there in the first place, or probably worse cause they know the "punishment" being administered is "punishment" in name only.

I honestly feel sorry for Irish police.

Having to go about such a job under the yolk of incompetent Irish politicians, all the strictures yet with all of the expectation.

Is it really any wonder drop-out rates are what they are?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭nachouser

I am not trying to excuse or defend any of the stats I've posted. It's just information about our prisons.

Absolutely.

Honestly if I personally had my way, I'd make name-and-shame age 10 years old.

Scrotes in my area abuse the CRAP out of their anonymity/immunity privileges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Calm down all, McEntee has all this completely under control......there is no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,486 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

What would you expect? Sure, this is Ireland.

Gombeenism and Brown Baggism abound!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Maybe it’s time to reintroduce corporal punishment!

Death penalty in certain circumstances and caning for other violent offences.

Free up a lot of prison spaces wouldn’t it and very cost effective!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Didn't George Carlin have a great bit about it years ago? Stick them all on an island and televise it. Do airdrops of food once a week and let them have at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

As the number of elected representative's from more diverse backgrounds increases in this country, corporal punishment may become a reality, the recent outburst by the Limerick politician is an example

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Rosahane

America has many problems with the societal and judicial system and the consequent impact of the death penalty to the stage that it probably isn't a deterrant any more.

However, look at it's impact in Singapore which, with both corporal and capital punishment has the lowest crime rate worldwide of democracies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

While I'd agree with that, the problem is that it's just not going to work in Ireland as the system is set up in favour of the perpetrators. Any move to do community service will immediately be met with howls of outrage by myriad vested interest NGOs screeching that this would be "dehumanising" etc; I've little the doubt that the UN etc would be in like a flash too. The only thing most prominent Irish politicians seems to care about is the opinions of the "right" kind of people - no way are they gonna stir a hornets' nest with this. While taking fines etc from wages social welfare payments sounds great, the big problem with this I believe is that there is some kind of legally set 'bare subsistence' income below which you cannot reduce their income - and this level is something like €2 below standard social welfare rates so these people don't give a **** as it won't materially affect them. Even if a fine is enforced, chances are the Vincent de Paul will stump up the cash for it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Vouchers instead of cash could be issued for serial offenders that are not imprisoned.

Deductions from welfare included over a period to cover criminal damage/compensation.

Also relocation of social housing, outside of the area they live in. That would be a genuine penalty that people would take note of.

Homes need to be available though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Thats probably right sadly, maybe if enough people wrote to their local td, or local communities petitioned and lobbied the minister, or we had large scale peaceful protests around the country, it might start to sink in that something needs to change.

We put up with a lot of things that are wrong and typically wait until a general election to vote in a different crowd but in reality that doesn't change much, it just pushes the problems out for a few more years. The sitting td's have the power to make changes, they took notice of the water protests and the recent riots (not condoning such behaviour) got their attention.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement