Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Falling House Prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

This reminds me of what used to get said a lot over on the economics forum back in 2010, namely that foreigners work harder than Irish. I have never understood the inferiority complex that afflicts the Irish, nor their need to seek validation from outside groups. I have worked in software development for 13 years, and the best engineers that I have met were all Irish. When it comes to graduates, I've noticed no discernable difference between Irish graduates or foreign graduates. I can also assure you that foreigners are perfectly capable of being incompetent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

It is more that we are becoming like bits of California with a wealthy coastal elite with the same lifestyle and despite all the moaning, we are a wealthy western country with excellent schools and very good value third-level education.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,142 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Maybe they don’t moan as much about how unfair life is.

That's a little unfair, they might be just a little deflated and perhaps gifts from parents and well of Indian doctors and IT worker is a factor in the housing market.

Post edited by mariaalice on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

They haven't been here as long as the rest of us...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

In my experience, having worked abroad, it's people that emigrate that work harder, for the most part. They have goals, they want opportunities and experience that may not be available to them in their home country.

This goes for Irish emigrants abroad as well, I'm not talking about the ones backpacking, or on a j1 etc, just people that want to build a future.

There is a bit of a difference between pointless moaning and calling out a genuine problem. The Irish do seem to be extremely good at the form, and very poor at the latter. Perhaps if we less tolerant, some of the appalling behaviour of the state in recent years would not have happened, and the current mess that we're in would not be so bad. Just my two cents...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

I have posted a few times about how politicians should be hit in the pocket via their pensions if they get voted in due to the promises that they are spouting. All politicians should be asked by all journalists what are the top 10 priorities and have them listed in order of priority. if a politician is elected to the Dail and they get zero points in or if a party is elected with these 10 points and they don't bother getting any through then their pensions should be forfeit in line with the amount of points not gotten through to a % of loss to their pensions so get 5 points through then you get 50% of your pension, 3 through and you get 30% of your pension and so forth. These lads con the general public then fill their pockets with a nice bumper pension even do they may do zero of what they got voted in for. That needs to change. If someone is an independent they may not have the power to do much but they should be in the Dail almost breaking the windows and breaking down all order and gaslighting every other politician they can in order to be heard and if they are trying sure they will get voted in again so there is reward there for those who may not seem to have the power to change. But alas why would you bother when your going to be looked after no matter how hard or soft you try.

Way off point, how come middle-class South Asian immigrants to Ireland see good free public schools, children in uniforms who are mostly well-behaved, good teachers, entrance to third level based on merit, a safe and secure environment for the family to grow up in?

Post edited by mariaalice on

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭JCN12

Double post.

• Advertisement

That is simple. There is mostly no social welfare system to live off or minimum wage for that matter.

If you don't work, you don't pay rent and eat. Lots of competition for reasonable paying jobs mean parents take education extremely serious for their kids.

A lot of morals are also derived from practicing faith, which has been mostly been replaced by late stage capitalism in Ireland.

Just to be clear, you think each individual politician has the ability to unilaterally implement policies they promise at election time, and if they don’t, they are fined?

How would that work in your job?

Going by current affairs media and journalism or social media all we seem to hear about is how dreadful everything is in Ireland

No not every politician but if they have not got the power they should be very vocal and almost taking the Dail apart to get heard if the people who elect them see and hear this then they will be voted in again.

Lets be clear they are not fined they just dont walk away with a pension from the tax payer when they have not bothered doing the job. Also I cant afford my own pension so I don't have one and sure why would I bother after a governments took the pension pot there not so long ago what idiot would put money in for any minister of the day to just take and do what they want with it. So why should I pay more in tax to cover these cnuts who are basically lying to get in the Dail then sitting on their hairy holes when they get in knowing that their pension will be siphoned from the tax payers dime when they get booted out.

So as long as they are seen to be shouting, they keep their pension? I don’t think that would make for a functioning parliament if every single elected politician sought to shout the loudest in order to avoid a fine.

There is no such thing as not being afford a pension one of my first jobs had a compulsory pension no way around it, at various times I could have done with the money to live but still had no option but to pay it, Needless to say in my twenties I thought pension has nothing to do with me.

We spend a lot of time talking about what politicians do and don't do. Maybe it's time we looked at the legions of civil servants behind these people. They have enormous influence, they are not elected to their positions and they are seemingly beyond reproach. When was the last time a seniour civil servant was fired? If we're having a fantasy about what we'd like to do to fix the state, I'd start with the public service.

No they get voted in on the 10 points/promises as well and if they dont get any through they get zero pension but if they make a loud enough argument then the people who voted them in will likely vote for them again it just means they have to work hard to get their voice heard. So you think the current system is functioning? ehmmm well in a lot of areas its not you only have to look at housing, our garda, our schools our hospitals, how our taxes are wasted to see that its far from functioning, so something has to be done to shake this shower up in to action and allowing them go through the motions where people like that gobsh1t Eamo the Green machine Ryan (he must of been sipping some bad energy at the solar panels again) is seen sleeping in the Dail needs a rude awakening and the only way is by hitting their pockets.

Well economically, relative wealth has rarely been better.

Socially, it's probably at its worst since the founding of the republic. For example, some academics argue that child mortality has never been lower.

Counting abortions, one could argue that child mortality has never been worse.

Well then why is there about 38% of the adult population with no pension? Take away those from the public sector (guarnteed pension and about another 25% of the population) and companies pensions ( so the banks and big pharma and IT would all have a private pension sublimated/paid for by the employer - not sure on the % this is of people working) but it would suggest the amount of people setting up their own private pension is at a very low %. The fact is you can afford it or prioritized it is great for you and well done for you but a lot of people cant they have higher mortgages/rent, electricity, food and every other facet of paying for higher and higher costs to essentials why would you pay for tomorrow and not being able to eat today?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40965206.html#:~:text=The%20findings%20show%2038%25%20of,no%20pension%20plan%20in%20place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Socially, it's probably at its worst since the founding of the republic.

In what way?

I certainly wouldn't swap places with someone living in Ireland 1920 - 1970.

Beverly Hills, California

I gave an example on my post. It's the part you deleted on the reply?

Notwithstanding there are no shortage of examples. Divorce rates are on the rise (over 100,000 people are divorced in Ireland at present), of those who actually manage to get married in Ireland. Contributing to late life poverty and homelessness.

Childlessness is becoming the norm. The replacement level for people is now at 1.7 (births vs deaths) but the minimum level required to just maintain the population is 2.1. In a matter of a couple of a few decades, the welfare system will be facing collapse, as the once broad tax base of young people will have greatly diminished, and continually so based on current trends globally. Think Pyramid scheme.

And let's not speak of the supposition of gender identity, and the increasing efforts to coerce young children to adhere to ideological views.

Was life more comfortable in the mid 20th century, unlikely for most. However, were people happier? It's probably a better question. Qualitative research would suggest that is the case.

Post edited by JCN12 on

I think you are missing the point I had no choice about the pension my actually living circumstances did not come into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,557 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Faith tries to be based on morals, but morals are not uniquely based on faith. To think this is extremely closed minded.

Luckily this is why we do not count abortions in child mortality statistics. Your analysis of Ireland's current social standing compared to 'the good oul days' is completely skewed by your religious bias.

I think the birthrate of 1.7 actually includes everyone in the country. I can't find the source, but I recall reading that for the native Irish, it's closer to 1.5. I can't really say anything as I am myself 36 and childless (I have reasons, but they're not very good...), but it is going to be a disaster in the years to come. This is why the state is so hell-bend on immigration, but that brings with it an enormity of problems.

As to how happy people were in the past, well I'd say that they had less time to worry about things. There also would have been a stronger sense of community as there were less technical "gizmos" to distract. To pass time, people met and did things together as opposed to playing video games or watching TV.

My analysis is not predicated on religious bias, it's objective. To flip your contention, one could argue that your bias is derived from fornication and indulgence.

However, assigning anecdotal labels is a poor tactic to undermine a point.

Simply put, they are less children in schools and in playgrounds because their lives were ended. You can say it's lucky that those childrens lives are not recorded, but thats easy for you to say, as you are alive.

So if it is closed minded to say that good morals are derived from faith, where do you think morals should come from?

As for the good old days reference scourge, neither of us lived during those times. I will side with the research.

Immigration is often quoted as a solution in the US too, but very few countries do not have the same problem or they are at least heading for the minus 2.1 tipping point. So its more of a temporary fix really.

It's a sad reflection of modernity globally when you think about it 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭FledNanders

What was the topic of this thread again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

there are no price drops to talk about so it descends into mayhem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

not sure why it uses this for the graph and not just actual prices, it is still up 4% from last year, the month on month thing is stupid

Advertisement