Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2023 Senior Executive Officer: Local Government

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Avdel

Thinking of applying for this competition. Anyone else??

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭BalboBiggins

How strict are they with management experience in this? Would managing a team of four be enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭kaykay27

I’m going to apply but I see there is also the staff officer competition open - can you apply for both?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Mr lebowski

Hi Kay,

Where did you see the staff officer job advertised? Is it nationwide? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭CW2022

Is the staff officer on public jobs? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭2021_AP

Going to throw in for this myself, slight payout but could get closer to home

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭kaykay27

Hi! Wicklow Co co

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Got to interview stage on this one last time around. 2020. Didn't make it on to panel Don't think I will go for it this time. Best of luck to everyone applying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭CiboC

I'll put myself in for this, is the order of your area preference important or if you list 3 are you considered for all areas equally?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 acrowe

Hi it there any good websites to buy the examples for the testing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭coolio83

I saw no Staff Officer posts @kaykay27? May I ask where you saw this?

Hey all, how did you find the psychometric tests?

I thought some of the maths questions were very poorly worded, and I'm sure at least one of the questions didn't have any correct answer listed as an option!

Other than that I thought they were fine, although I don't know why they allowed 40 minutes for the situational awareness test, I did it in far less then that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭StrikingOut

Hey all, I thought it went ok. Better than the practice test! Fingers crossed 🤞

@coolo83 SO’s are usually advertised on local authority websites

• Registered Users Posts: 9 YoungEntrepeneur

Agreed on the Numerical questions. Found them very tough admittedly. As far as previous threads go though, your overall scoring doesn't see a contribution from the Numerical questions (unless I'm mistaken in that).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭flended12

For candidates passing all three assessments, a total score will be formed by taking the candidate’s score from the Verbal Reasoning Assessment and adding this to their score on the Situational Judgement Test.

The Numerical Reasoning Assessment is only used as a qualifier – therefore, while candidates do need to meet a minimum mark on the Numerical Reasoning Assessment, a candidates Numerical Reasoning score will not contribute to their final total score or the subsequent ranking of candidates.

It is envisaged that the Situational Judgement Test will be weighted more heavily than the Verbal Reasoning Assessment, when forming the total score/candidate ranking

Im glad someone else thinks the same. Im 100% sure at least one maths questions didn't have the correct answer in the options. Other than that, i thought it was ok.

I wonder when we will find out how we did etc? My first campaign. Just wondering if you all are currently serving civil service staff or in private positions?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Wexy86

Found the testing grand, got through them all fairly fast - not sure if that’s a good or bad thing.

First time applying, currently in a private position in a MNC.

Be interesting to see how long this takes to move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 nooneworker

Has anyone heard anything yet?

Does anyone have any idea when we might hear word back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 interested_all

New to the thread. I found the tests challenging, but similar to others I got through the SJT within about 10 mins (40 mins limit) and took longer on the Numerical (25 mins against a 15 min expected but expect high levels of accuracy). My experience has been that any communications sent out in response to competitions are normally sent on a Friday afternoon.

Nothing yet, but I think I read on the competition details that it would be the beginning of Oct for results.

Hope we here something this Friday 🙏

Anyone hear when we might get the test results?

No, not October yet, so possibly Friday week now.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭pjordan

Some notifications sent out yesterday eve just before close of business. Good luck to all

Post edited by pjordan on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭scullersky

Also confused by the above. Maybe they're getting mixed up with a different CS job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭scullersky

I sent him a PM and he said it was for this competition and he recieved word last Friday evening that he had been successful and called to interview and a presentation.

I don't think his being truthful..... as I've been told by Public Jobs that results are expected to be issued mid October.

My sincere apologies to all. I've two application streams ongoing at the moment. One for this SEO and one for HEO. I just rechecked now because of scullerskys doubts and it's the HEO one I've been called for presentation and interview next month. Genuine mistake because of the speculation that we could expect results about beginning of October. Mea Culpa! Teach me not to reply too quickly in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,923 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Of mistakes on boards.ie - that is not the worst! Haha

• Advertisement

Results of assessments are up!

Phwew!

Passed

In saying that, I'm Middle Third for Verbal and Lower Third for Situational, so would be incredibly low down the Order of Merit once that comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 plaidshirt

Is anyone else's pending verification of the proctoring?

Just got mine too....!

No OOM yet, that is 'in due course..'

• Advertisement

Yup, got through this time (pending the verification of proctoring as above!) No mistake, I hope!!!

"Yes, I just received my results for the Situational Judgement Test. I scored 1078, and on the Verbal Reasoning test, I scored 619. I'm over the moon because I didn't pass the previous EO competition. Do you think the interview will be the only stage?"

I got the same passed pending verification of proctoring (hopefully didn't do anything wrong there) OOM to follow.

I had a quick look at the scoring I'm in the lower third for Situational and Verbal Reasoning but in saying that I'm not to far off the average score so its hard to tell where I'll land in OOM.

I wonder how long it will take till the OOM. My battery was dying during the verbal reasoning, so I rushed through it. I need a new laptop though, hopefully, I eventually get some work to buy a new one lol. Passed anyway, thank heavens 🙏.

Fair play your scored way over the average score!

My sister works in the Council she said the next stage is normally Interview including a presentation.

Sorry i did.

Thank you Avdel & Coolio83- To be honest I was pretty shocked but over the moon, I've been out of work for over a year now and it is starting to get difficult. Applying for roles and hearing nothing back was hitting my confidence really badly so I needed something positive to happen. Hoping to get a interview - lets see what happens - Good luck to everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Wexy86

Apologies for the questions, first time applying for any public role.

OOM - what is the usual timeline on communication of this?

I scored upper third in the sjt but lower third on the verbal, total 1643. Do they combine scores for both or are each on their own merit and work from top down so top of both categories tops the oom and then work their way down?

Good to get the results and understand the process regardless of the outcome all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Openair22

First time applying for this level in Public Sector, qualified and a little shocked thought the numerical was quite tricky.

Does anyone know what numbers applied and how many would be through post these assessments, is that sort of information available?

• Advertisement
Advertisement