Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,377 ✭✭✭Damien360

Anyone here have issues getting your phone line ported over from virgin to vodafone.

Virgin now disconnected but Vodafone keep saying I need a different UAN to port. Virgin told me my account number is UAN and there is only one.

4 weeks of calls to Vodafone with same waffle. I started the complaint process Monday with a view to go to comreg in 10 days as per regulations. I'm sorry I switched if they lost my number. Number is dead when I ring it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Have you tried a ping trace route on a computer? It should show you where the bottleneck is, extremely annoying when that starts happening. It's down to routing unfortunately, usually somewhere outside the country. It was being caused by a faulty BT hub in the UK a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Pitythefools

Thanks for the advice. I'll have a look into that in the morning 👍🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Same issue here, can't even stream SD on Vodafone 1Gbps link in Swords, speed tests are terrible in the evenings

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I think I might move to Virgin if it continues much longer. the 2gig package with 150 m/bit upload is not too badly priced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Those with crappy evening speeds from Vodafone, consider Siro from someone like Digiweb. We've had no speed issues in the evenings.

Thanks BigMoose,

I've been using Siro with Vodafone since 2018 and in fairness to them, this is the first time i've had to make a call to them.

Digiweb are effectively a rebranded Eir using Eir's traffic routing, which strangely enough is always the fastest route available at any given time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭BigMoose

That's interesting - Eir dont actually sell Siro themselves though (do they?) so do digiweb route traffic from Siro to Eir?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Siro's network is nothing to do with Eir. I don't see how it would be possible to take the traffic off SIRO to ask Eir where to move it around to, or indeed what the point would be.

Digiweb also re-sell openEir fibre connections which is probably what the poster is referring to.

• Advertisement

You need to think beyond who strings the wires out, the bottleneck could be anywhere. Has anyone done a ping trace? Myself and my father were both with Sky BB years ago, I was having exactly the problems you describe and his was perfect. Ping trace on my connection was routed out through Cork, then the UK, huge delay there and eventually it would complete. Dad's was routed through Dublin, a different IP in the UK, trace complete in a flash.

Sky broadband is also a reseller of openEir who have no influence over the internal routing of traffic over the network, openEir do that. The only physical networks in the country are openEir, virgin cable, siro, the mobile phone companies, and the two government projects the Man rings and national broadband. You can buy commercial fibre from the likes of bt but we can ignore that for consumer purposes.

All traffic from all networks leaves the country from the same hub in Dublin. There is literally nothing a reseller can do to influence where customer a or customer b gets routed once the traffic leaves the box in your house.

The most common cause of slowness is companies like virgin who won't pay for local caching.

Mine was definitely routed through Cork, in saying that it was in the old ADSL days.

Has anyone done a trace yet?

The slow evening issues with vodafone and siro seem to be resolved now. Thankfully

There was only ever one INEX, I believe it was hosted in UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

There are three INEX POPs in Dublin and one in Cork at CIX.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

There's more to INEX than most people realise, but it's often mischaracterised as "how your ISP connects you to the Internet". It's how ISPs exchange traffic with each other and with content providers, but Internet access is provided by transit providers, not by INEX as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Pitythefools

I am also in Swords. Maybe the problem was area connected. I ended up using my VPN for all traffic. Seems to be OK now though.

This is the first problem I have had since I put in Siro/Vodafone a few years ago now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

We have Siro just about one month now. We had a brief outage earlier today. We've been very lucky up to now as we've never had a BB outage before, except one time when we were unplugged by an engineer at the hub. I suspect weather was a factor this morning.

Just wondering if ye know is outage information posted anywhere? Similar to the way power outages or water outages are posted.

The Siro site has nothing and google returns nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,388 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

You'd probably want to be checking your service provider instead? So like Vodafone or sky or whoever...

I like how we've gone from "my connection is slow" to "here's a hidden map of the reality of internet connectivity". Thanks!

But did it help your connection 😉

Anybody done a trace yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

Siro, OpenEir and NBI are wholesale access networks. Your point of contact is through your ISP. They don't have any channels for dealing with end users directly as they don't sell you anything themselves.

It's actually a bit of an issue because some of the smaller ISPs have absolutely no out of hours tech support. You can be in a fairly significant issue if the service goes down say on a Friday of a bank holiday weekend.

It would make some sense to have a pooled resource for reporting significant faults.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MrTi

On Vodafone SIRO it also disconnects everyday. Scheduled disconnect doesn't help. It seems like SIRO network is designed that way.

Maybe power-cycle of fiber media converter would help instead of router?

Worth trying, other then that, there is paid Static IP option in Vodafone (just to eliminate 24 h DHCP renewal), but I heard it also disconnects on static.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Glaceon

It's Vodafone rather than SIRO. When I had them the PPPoE connection would drop every single night. Meanwhile my Digiweb SIRO connection has been up solid since 29th July when I last rebooted the router.

Are they still at that craic... Most bloody annoying when using getflix etc as you have to keep re-registering your IP. My IP with VM hasn't changed in months.

How much are digiweb now? I was with them for a year with fttc, rock solid connection in fairness, it got a bit messy when I tried to leave. They don't show prices on their site which is annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Digiweb's current SIRO pricing is €34.95 for 500mb and €39.95 for 1000mb (special offer for first 12 months). To find details of pricing go to the bottom of the home page and click anywhere under the residential heading.

Post edited by cunnijo on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭SierraTango

After years of looking at the SIRO distribution box on my parents electricity pole, they're finally getting it installed this month in Cork. Lads up the ESB poles this week seem to actually be connecting them. Eir Fibre wanted to install a pole in the garden to bring it across the road. Moving from 8Mb to 500Mb will be fantastic for them.

Advertisement