Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

I'm in the same boat. I'm about 5 houses away on a semi rural road from a house that has a Siro connection, but I'm schlepping along on a 35Mb/s connection :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭alanmc

So, not great news. OenEir have no plans to service my area. NBI is estimating some time between Jan and Dec 2026!!!!.

I currently have Starlink, which is working really well. I was hoping to go back to SIRO though. Has anyone convinced them to run a line a little further than they already have?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Glaceon

SIRO won't touch it if you're in an NBI area unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭alanmc

Guess I'll stick with Starlink so. Pretty good system. Didn't even drop during Storm Debi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 lucio7

Hi,

I've just subscribed to a 2G broadband from Blacknight. I'm supposed to have 200M upload but I actually have 100M. Blacknight says that this is an actual limitation from SIRO, so SIRO doesn't allow uploads over 100M. Furthermore, Blacknight went on to say that SIRO is repeatedly ignoring the requests to increase/remove this limit. Blacknight promised me they will press on until this issue will be resolved.

I personally find this SIRO limitation surprising. It's almost like they are sabotaging their own infrastructure, they don't want it to success. This is 21st century and this is the cutting-edge technology that should bring us lightning speed internet, so 100M, really? We should be pushing for more, not for less! We should be talking about Gigabits or more.

I really hope the people in charge of SIRO will wake up one day and listen. So many millions of euros invested by this government and this is what we get? Really?

I tried to call SIRO on 1800 98 99 45 and the answering machine says "Thank for calling, goodbye!" (hang up). What???

Post edited by lucio7 on

They used to have a 200 upload on their gigabit service, had it myself until I moved house last year. I presumed they got rid of it because OpenEir were only offering 100 up but I didn't realise that they stuck with it on 2 Gb too.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Steviemak7

Pretty sure Eir's 2Gbps service has 200mbps upload

At the time SIRO had 200 up, there was no 2 gigabit from anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭batistuta9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Steviemak7

I wonder are VM overbuilding SIRO?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Repo101

How often do SIRO update their address system? My house is connected, neighbours have SIRO installed, but there are patches of houses that providers can't provide broadband to as SIRO haven't updated their system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

We were 15 years with 'regular' broadband from Vodafone and never had any trouble. We recently changed up to the new SIRO service and the internet drops quite often now. It only drops for a few minutes, but I work from home, so calls get dropped and it's annoying. It also drops late at night, midnight or so.

But when it drops, you don't know whether it will be a few minutes or longer.

Anyone know if this is on the Vodafone side or the ESB? You'd think they would have this stable by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I can't help with your question, but I have Siro and experiencing drop outs too. It is frustrating when as you say, on a video call /meeting. For a time, I was not getting 1gb download.

I'm guessing it's the router as opposed to the SIRO box, I'd be genuinely shocked if it was the SIRO box.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,764 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Why? Does the siro box have superpowers or something? Seems a strange statement to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

I've had SIRO \ Vodafone for 5 years and its been rock solid. Never completely lost it while I was home but have had a few slow downs or high packet loss (very infrequent like maybe once in a year or so).

If only their billing could be so reliable. 😒

Does anyone know how to get in contact with SIRO? The houses across the road from mine have SIRO but the checker shows it’s not available at my address. Really frustrating to have to deal with Virgin / Sky / Eir for 100 mb packages.

No point, they did every estate around me but never came into mine. Open Eir have laid fibre almost 2 years later, I'm still with VM. Are VM only offering you 100 meg? I don't think siro deal with the public directly it's all done through resellers.

Yeah unfortunately just 100 mb.

3 are offering 5G up to 350mb with an external box attached to the house or some people have it inside one of the houses beside us has it done.

its 39 a month with 3 months free but a lot of people are saying they love it on here but then reading the odd comment where they’re saying at peak times they’re down to single digit speeds really worries me with WFH for 2 people..

all in all just miss the SIRO and how handy it was to use.

• Advertisement

Very frustrating position to be in. I wouldn't like to be depending on any kind of mobile provider for BB especially WFH. At least with your 100meg it's very reliable, for me reliability is king.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Let me disagree here. on MBB for a decade+, WFH since 2020. VPN/RDP + teams calling + IP phone. no more than 2-3 outages/degradation over this period.

All depend on location/signal/congestion/hardware. Some of it less you can control, but if care of part that you can...

Real time testing required

VM aren’t offering anything according to their website. Might have to give them a phone.

I checked Siro website and my estate and the one directly across the road don’t have it, and they both aren’t in the plan for NBP rollout so it seems I’m stuck with 100 mb from sky / vm / eir or digiweb unless I chance a 5G mobile plan which doesn’t sound that appealing.

hoping we can get Siro eventually the whole town has it and all the other estates around us have it, it’s heart breaking - the download speed on Siro was game changing with gaming downloads and patches etc.

What type of speeds / costs with Starlink?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

If you're already getting 100mb then starlink isn't going to be a significant jump.

Tbh, I have very rarely seen game changing anything above 200mb. Usually you'll still get buffering on services like Netflix or YouTube even with 1gb. If you care about getting a download done in 14 minutes vs 20 minutes then, OK? You saved 6 minutes or whatever. As another poster said, I would take reliability and consistency over an extra few 100mb any day of the week.

Well 3 is dung in my area and that's real time tested I stupidly signed up to a 2 year contract to get some iPhone or other and it absolutely broke my heart. I've since gotten sense, ditched the iPhone and more importantly ditched 3. What provider are you with?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

agree - i ditched iphone when it was still #5 😊

I am all hands for wired connection (LAN or WAN ), however, if its only up-to 100mbps vs MBB ~200Mbps then cost comes along with other factors

I am with three, long time, and as long i can manage to get mine ~190/60 and have no problems with congestion(i do sometimes have bad days too, 130/60) it financially works better for me on mobile.

That is my personal view at this moment and might not work for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Have been having the exact same experience - multiple brief dropouts, sometimes only for a few seconds but enough to drop calls, game servers, etc. Sometimes for a lot longer but that’s generally at odd hours in the middle of the night. Definitely becoming more frequent lately too.

can’t wait for July to roll around so I can switch to another provider.

Is the ont going offline or is it VF itself going offline. Will changing providers actually help do you think? VF have gone to the dogs the last few years especially their fixed line BB whether it's ADSL, fttc or ftth their service is just gone terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Advertisement