Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Nope, still not working. I called Digiweb yesterday morning but they couldn't see any update on the file since Actavo had been and gone. I'm in a new estate and it seems I'm the first one to sign up to SIRO here since it went live, so it looks like I'm the guinea pig here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,888 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Are Digiweb charging you for this mess? I was with them for a year and I won't be with them ever again. They charged me €100 plus vat claiming I broke my contract early which I didn't as I had rang the previous week enquiring when my contract finished. They were less than polite on the phone it took the threat of getting the CRU involved to get my money back. They actually tried to give it to me as credit when I had moved to another provider... Their so called top of the range router didn't even have a power button 😡

I hope not, I'll definitely ask that next time. If I hear nothing back today I'll be back on in the morning.

I was with Vodafone when I had SIRO in my last place but I now refuse to do business with any provider that does those annual CPI increases. Digiweb are one of the few who don't.

I'm hoping to time my annual provider switch to get minimal impact from these increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭roarlad

Hi all, I've tried to skim through the thread but couldn't find an answer, so forgive me if has already been answered multiple times.

Gaeltec and Actavo are in the area here in Dublin rolling out for SIRO.

I've checked, but my address isn't coming up on the Address Checker on SIRO's site.

What's the best guess here for connection timelines? Should I be chasing SIRO's broadband retail partners for install times or is that weeks/months away?

• Advertisement

In my case TLI arrived onsite around September to do the install and then Vodafone were knocking on doors in early February. But even though the service is listed as available I still don't have it due to some network fault. The issue has been escalated to SIRO and they're taking their sweet time with it.

Siro never came to my estate, they did every estate around me but not mine for some strange reason, maybe it's because everything is underground as they've gone overhead everywhere else. Open Eir has become available very recently, 5 years after they started. Don't get excited just yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭pakb1ue

Not what I want to hear.

SIRO/Gaeltec and Open Eir within weeks of each other (not wanting to lose market share by the looks of things) have been busy pulling cables on the overhead poles in the estates near me but not in my estate as all cables are underground.

TBF I did see Gaeltec dig a hole in my estate as part of a survey to find the electrical ducting back in January and Open Eir did try to pull fibre a few weeks ago until a neighbor stopped them saying they were working on private property :'(

Seems like I might be waiting a while for it.

What do people get from objecting to these things, desperate carry on.

As of today I'm finally up and running. TLI corrected a fault outside last week and Actavo came back today to complete the install. They had to recrimp the SC fibre connector going to the ONT but all working fine now. Speeds are good and pings a lot more stable than my Virgin Media connection which was all over the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Am I hallucinating or is there no way to report a SIRO fault out-of-hours? SIRO redirect you to the retail sellers and the retail sellers all direct you to their office hours customer support.

Have had no service since 4pm yesterday but no way of contacting anybody to enquire. Power, PON and LAN are all green on the ONT, and LOS is off. Tried everything in the router and the ONT in terms of resocketing RJ45's and power cycling, direct LAN to the modem, and checking the account status.... nada. Guess I have to wait until Monday with no service all weekend?

All whinging on FB that siro has been out since yesterday afternoon.

Might be area specific, all still good here thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Back up at about quarter past 1, thankfully. No indication what the issue was mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 shakeymathuna

Is it a fact that SIRO will not install their service in any estate where the electric services are already underground?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dam099

Not sure what you mean by "electric services are already underground" but if that means existing electricity connections come to the meter through ducting then I believe that's the main way they do it (i.e. they blow the fibre through those same ducts). My estate was done +10 years after construction in the existing ducts.

If you mean an older estate with direct buried then that might be more of an issue.

They skipped my estate, it's underground built in 94, I think you're right. A much older estate was done overhead even though it's electricity supply is underground, it was probably a disaster to try and follow the cable into the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tigerbalm_eu

SIRO are currently retro-fitting our apartment complex with a fibre network. Bringing it to a small panel outside each apartment door. Pics below taken during the install. I'm quiet impressed with the effort they are putting into the retro-fit – its neat and comprehensive.

I thought it would be a decade away before existing apartment complexes would have this done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

They’re currently doing my street in Cork and the services are all underground and date from the 1960s - they opened the road, cleared and repaired ducts and everything.

Underground ducting is one of their main ways of doing installations.

I've seen actavo doing that on behalf of open Eir but siro didn't do it, they either went overhead or skipped on to the easier installs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭1641

In smaller estates around here the SIRO contractors dug and ducted to the main ESB streetside connection point and then opened a trench/duct to the nearest house on either side. The cabling was then run from these houses to all the others around the estate, with an individual connection point under the fascia board at the front of each house. In some of the bigger estates they used several main ESB connection points but then proceeded in the same way.

There were two separate contractors - one for the main digging, ducting and installing at the central connection points and one for the wiring around the houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,506 ✭✭✭micks_address

we had a SIRO rep call to the door this week - asking for permission to run cables between our house and the next, said no problem.. he reckons probably be a few months yet before available. I had a question on install - the cables will run at the front of the house, but when its available will they run a cable across the attic and down the back of the house for the connection? Virgin did that for me as its where i have our router and UPS etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jaya

we just got siro installed. for the drop from my eves to ground level my fibre cable was wire tied to my neigbours rain gutter down pipe.

like it goes from the esb pole to my eves, crosses the boundry to my neigbours, is wire tied down my neighbours rain gutter down pipe, crosses back over the boundry garden wall to my property, then is clipped along the bottom of my home to a drilled hole entry point

this needs fixing right ?

my neigbours gutter leaks and he wants someone to work on it soon

(digiweb asked for photos, which i emailed in, no reply yet)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

This does need fixing/re doing. As it is an overhead connection the fibre cable should run directly from the pole to the eve on your roof, be tacked down your wall and along the bottom and through the drilled hole. Very poor work by the installer. As you have followed it up with your ISP (Digiweb) follow up with customer services if you have have had no response by Friday. They will resolve your issue but may need a reminder.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Bit of an odd one but Siro have been working in our town for months now putting in up to 1GB connections, we live in a small cul de sac 8 houses 5 old houses and 3 newer ones with underground electricity etc.

Back in June siro contractors put in a box at our gate underground to supply us and the other two newer houses in the cul de sac.

Oddly everyone else in this cul de sac can get up to 1GB but nothing is showing as available for the three newer houses on this "box" underground.

I assumed when things went live in the cul de sac everyone would able to proceed with their orders for install.

Everyone above ground can get but the three underground canot as of yet despite this box going in.

Should i be concerned?

Have they forgotten about us?

Is it just a case of waiting for them to flick a switch before we can order an install?

I have rang airwire whom im with for a few years now and as suspected my place is not showing as available yet.

thank you cunnijo,

i phoned, and emailed photos into digiweb 9 days ago now, still no response. i will contact them again and update this thread with their actions.

quick update on this

the second email to digiweb got a fast response, my siro installer has since returned and fixed the cable to my house wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They have done many in my area. Entire town is underground, bar a few extremely old areas

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Pitythefools

Hi all,

Anyone else noticing their download speeds vary wildly in the evening time. Mine has been crazy this last few nights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Yes I'm with those morons in Vodafone. The speeds the last two evenings have been horrendous. Could not stream even SD stream on plex. Nor watch the match. Unbelievably frustrating. The rest of my family are with Eir and experience a fraction of the issues I do with Vodafone. I could change to Eir as both fiber networks go to my house, but I'm reluctant to lose my 200m/bit upload speed which is not offered anymore.

Advertisement