Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barbie (2023)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭El Duda

Barbie – 9/10 (cinema)

This goes way above and beyond what anyone could have realistically expected from a film about Barbie. Greta Gerwig has smashed it out of the park. You get the feeling that she and Noah Baumbach had a lot of fun writing the script. The casting is perfect and it’s hard to see any actors other than Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling pull (beach) their roles off. 

Gosling is on hysterical form. Almost everything he did made me laugh out loud. I love the contrast between his comedic roles (The Nice Guys) and his more serious roles (Bladerunner 2049). He’s a rangier actor than he’s given credit for. 

The big mystery surrounding this film was who was it aimed at? Having now seen the film, I’m not sure I’m any closer to being able to answer. I think it’s mainly aimed at adults but there’s enough silly dancing and slapstick humour to trick kids into thinking they liked it. 

Casting, set design, silly humour… it’s all bang on point. 

Greta Gerwig has positioned herself as the Queen of Hollywood and she’s nailed on to become the first female director to bank over a billion.

It’s my shock winner of the whole Barbenheimer fiasco. Bring on Wonkoleon!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Just on the point of who it's for..... they showed 3 trailers before the screening I was at. One for pensioners go to Lourdes, one for a terrible looking Disney Haunted House kids film, and one for Joy Ride (which ends with a clip of the characters singing "there's some whores in this house, there's some whores in this house"). That range was, I think, very apt for what followed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

It actually did get beyond 'boys are stupid'.

Allan was helping out the Barbies but he didn't need to be a knight in shining armour about it and the whole reason the Kendom came about was because Ken couldn't accept Barbie just wanting to be friends and not being romantically interested in him.

There was a lot of commentary on the incel community and also on people who live their lives through their partner instead of living for themselves. There was a lot of explaining of Ken's feelings and his whole song was about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

Well if there's ever a good reason not to bring your kids to this film...

I brought my 8 year old daughter. I thought she'd enjoy it, and the adult jokes would go over her head, like Shrek and other films that cater to both age groups.

A. This was too serious for her. She understood the plot and everything, but couldn't understand why the audience was laughing at certain bits. Or there was an intake of breath at certain bits.

B. She ate too much popcorn, felt sick, and we had to leave 10 minutes before the end. So this is one I am definitely going to go see by myself.

What I did see, I very much enjoyed. I wasn't a big fan of the original Barbieland - I realise that was meant to be a mirror image of the real world gender wise, but there seemed to be no ark where Barbie realises that the ideal is both genders being given equal opportunity to thrive. But perhaps this is resolved in the 10 minutes I missed at the end.

By the way, 12A means that under 12's can go and see it as long as its with an adult.

You wouldn't believe what happens in the last 10 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,172 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Sadly, that's exactly where the film fails so spectacularly: it portrays the ideal Barbieland as a "feminarchy" (not a matriarchy: Midge the only mother in Barbieland is presented as a freak due to the short-lived shelf life of the doll in real life).

Did you have to leave the cinema before the end too?

Unless there's a post-credit scene I missed where it was realised that Allen and the Kens should have an equal role in the governing of Barbieland rather than the idea that one of them could be a token figure in a District Court, no, I didn't have to leave the cinema early.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

LOL, genuinely surprised anyone could be aggrieved by the film. Yes, the film is generally feminist leaning in its ultimate outcome (although also extremely pro equal opportunities!), but everything is portrayed in exaggerated, absurdist flourishes with tongue relentlessly in cheek throughout.

Even the handful of more serious or emotional moments in the third act (and it does allow both the 'main' Barbie and Ken space to grow as characters!) are usually swiftly undercut with a joke or wink. I mean, every time 'patriarchy' is mentioned it's usually in relation to a running gag about horses. As a straight heterosexual male, there wasn't a thing in it that I found even remotely objectionable.

Barbieland was mirroring the real world throughout. Progress was made but there's a long f**king way to go. It wasn't saying Barbieland was how things should be, or that everything was perfect there under either "government".

• Advertisement

I find it amusing that one of the main criticisms being leveled at it is that the politics, or feminism specifically, is too basic, and yet that is usually followed by someone completely misunderstanding what was actually happening. Whether that's wilful or its genuinely gone over their heads, is not for me to say.

Look, I don't want to get drawn into another argument about why modern feminism is a scourge on society. My opinion on that has been posted frequently on other forums here where it's a more on-topic subject.

Let's just leave it at the fact it wasn't a film I'd have chosen to go off my own bat anyway but the marketing (which portrayed it as a more straight-up comedy than a feminist polemic) appealed to my 14 year old daughter (as I'm sure it was intended to). Had I known in advance that it was female-supremacist nonsense, I wouldn't have taken her.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

With all due respect, it sounds like you're simply applying your own self-confessed anti-feminist biases to the text rather than trying to offer a genuine reading of the text itself. Which, I hasten to add, is absolutely a straight-up comedy, just - like all good parodies - about real-world issues.

Based off this I for one am glad you brought your 14 year old daughter to it.

And with all due respect, while I'm quite happy to be called an anti-feminist, please don't use the word "biases" to try and invalidate that position.

@TICKLE_ME_ELMO if you want to raise your daughters to believe they're superior to their male classmates, you're free to inflict that upon them and I hope the resulting sense of entitlement doesn't ruin their lives. I'll stick to teaching my children that they're equally valuable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Leaving the cinema after the film the other night, ma and my friend both said that there will be many men putting it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭winstonia

No chance you have a daughter

I'll raise my children with basic comprehension skills so they can understand what's happening in a very simple film by the time they're old enough to be raising teenagers themselves.

I hope those men come to realise that they are kenough.

Ah, yes, because I disagree with the film's message I clearly don't have the "basic comprehension skills" to understand it.

Clearly being a man I needed a feminist to explain it to me. 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Wezz

I'm going to see it tomorrow with my brother and his 17 year old son. As three straight men we know we are not the target audience and I wouldn't have bothered going but my brother went with my niece and loved it so we're going. I'm sure I will exit the cinema outraged and feeling very hard done by that a male doll is being treated as less than the female dolls. When will this oppression against us end?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Female Supremacist? Snort.

You seem to be struggling to understand the comments you're replying to too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Captain Marvel is a co directed film. Barbie will be the first solo directed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

That is correct but not what the poster claimed.

And rather than having the common courtesy to agree to disagree, or to simply concede that a polemic won't appeal to those who don't share your beliefs in it's feminist message, you seem to prefer personal attacks. I'm out, post whatever snide comments you like, I won't be posting in this thread again.

Instead, I'll leave my final comment on this thread to be about the film itself:

If you've drunk the kool-aid of modern feminism, you'll really enjoy The Barbie Movie. It's well produced, the set design is superb, the leads are having an absolute blast (though Will Ferrell is wasted in a role that's little more than a cameo) and there are some very funny moments to be enjoyed (Helen Mirren's narration being a highlight in this regard). Best watched as a popcorn flick where you leave your brain at the door of the theatre rather than try to explain some of the more surreal aspects of the plot (the relationship between Barbieland and the "real world" and how one travels from one to the other, Ruth Handler having fairy-godmother like powers etc).

If you're not a fan of modern feminism, it's best avoided even if you think the (deliberately misleading?) trailer makes it look like fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,301 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I really enjoyed it, and I only really went to see if because of the social media hype and I love Margot and Ryan. A great laugh from start to finish. I was a little disappointed at the end because after a period of male dominance, I was hoping the barbies would learn a lesson and be nicer to the kens, let them have more autonomy etc. Maybe that'll be in Barbie 2, a commercial success like this will always get a sequel or a Ken/Allen spin off.

The horse thing had me stumped :-) like why are horses masculine, but I guess that's more of an Americanism, cowboy culture and all that, where as here horses just mean wealth or poverty in certain settings. I get the big car thing but also on this side of the Atlantic the laughably too large for purpose vehicles are the preserve of moms on missions. Interesting how the ideas of gender stereotypes vary between countries, even within western culture and actually I'd say we probably have fewer of them this side of the Atlantic.

I found out through social media that the guy who plays Asian Ken is an awful human being, shocked they cast him even and you can see from the Ryan Gosling's body language on the red carpet he's really not keen on the guy at all. Glad I know now.

I'm more than a little disturbed by somethings I'm seeing on social media, grown men being so offended that Ken was so hard done by that they're burning and shooting barbie dolls on tik tok. There's some deeply disturbed people out there, if they become violent because of a doll movie, and get a billion likes for it, I'm worried about the trajectory of the world. Some of these people even have a following of 'incels'. Truly bizzar and I hope that carry on doesn't reach these shores.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Did your daughter enjoy it? Genuine question, no wind up. Have no commonality with your thoughts on feminism but am curious what a teen girl like yours would have thought of it, given she might be more the target market.

• Advertisement

I think she enjoyed it more as a day out to the cinema and a chance to eat rubbish tbh. She got a laugh out of a lot of it (as did I, I'm not being disingenuous when I said there were some funny lines, it's well-written, I just disagree with it's politics) but it was very much an "in one ear, out the other" experience for her. She's more into rock biopics at the moment (Elvis, Rocket Man and Bohemian Rhapsody have all been watched a dozen times each at this stage).

Advertisement