Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit Impact on Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

Sorry, my mistake. I thought the last post had the same graph again, that's where the 70/30 reply came from.

With regards the last graph about devolution, I'm not really bothered whether there is Stormont or Joint Authority as long as it is what the majority want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭standardg60

Anyway, think this bit is a good reflection of where we're at, an eight want direct rule forever (staunch unionism), a third want joint authority (moderate to staunch nationalism). But the majority want NI to become a functioning self governed successful entity. Imo this is way more likely to be achieved by establishing closer ties to the south rather than the UK. Unionism has never been anything other than ideology, it has no actual benefit on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Arlene just saying it as it is perceived and perception is everything. Very hard you'll have to admit in NI politics to sit on the fence if you're a bigwig, one side or the other will always be pulling you down.

The only things that will rectify the impacts of Brexit on NI are 1) the UK rejoining the EU 2) the Republic leaving the EU 3) the joint peoples of NI and the island as a whole agreeing some new state.

All three seem equally unlikely - so there it is and there it will stay. As long as a lid is kept on violence, there'll be loads of dosh to be made up North just the way it is.

A UI is just as much an ideological stance as maintaining the union for the sake of it is, if SF in NI want to appease moderate unionism then they have to drop this UI campaign whilst advocating the restoration of powersharing, they can't have it both ways. History is history and we are where we are now, NI didn't work when it was ascribed solely to one identity, so why would it work when ascribed solely to another?

• Registered Users Posts: 67,231 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

No iteration of 'self rule has worked in NI. That's the facts.

How long people will keep trying something that has failed remains to be seen. I think the calls to allow the people decide to try another way will and are growing louder.

• Advertisement

The absolute fury in NI and in Britain itself about this visit is revealing.

You have former MP's like John Taylor lundying Doug Beattie for accepting an invitation to the Dáil today (I think he ended up not going) Naoimi Long being called a 'fellow IRA member' for going, Sammy Wilson calling Biden's mother a 'bigot' and on it goes. Now Arlene (A TV host an failed politician) is questioning a 'snub' over Biden not flying the right flag on his car, when there is no accepted flag for NI.

I think Furze it's a little more than 'voicing perceptions'.

So you don't want to see any return to Stormont and the executive back up and running?

Interesting.

Not up to me.

But I fail to see the point in flogging a dead horse. I don't think the electorate there will stand idly by for much longer to be honest.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

At the beginning of the troubles, the British Army were trained to recognise the difference between a Nationalist accent and a Loyalist accent. They were different because the two communities never spoke to each other.

They do not vote for the other side either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,657 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Sounds ominous! What do you reckon the electorate are going to do? Round up all MLAs and lynch them?

• Advertisement

The same as any electorate will do when they want change.

We have had constitutional change and government policy change here and elsewhere by sheer dint of the electorate not standing for it/vocally expressing a wish via public protest and demonstrations.

An article on the history of Unionism and where it now finds itself post Brexit. Unusual to see Unionism discussed without reference to 'themuns'.

Interesting also that there has been an ongoing attempt to lundy the writer of this article on Twitter, one tweeter even offering a reward for his/her address.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Big Seamus with words of wisdom.

Imagine, a colonial power forcing its will on a smaller neighbour. I wonder do these people even read back what they are about to say before posting it.

That he posted that says an awful lot. He must know his audience well.

That's all it is - Jim showboating to his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,171 ✭✭✭✭Water John

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Emma Little-Pengelly get served by Naomi Long...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Rishi makes it fairly clear to the DUP (paywalled)...

So the PM, the King, the parliament and the people want them back in Stormont. The courts have dismissed their various challenges to the NIP and WF which was overwhelmingly approved by parliament. What the DUP are doing now is in complete contrast to statements they themselves made in recent years e.g. one party preventing a functional assembley was wrong, customs checks wouldn't affect the constitutiuonal status of NI, etc.

So have they given any tangible examples of the issues facing NI trade with GB to back up their protest (which most believe is an anti-SF FM protest)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Glaceon

More proof, if you even needed it, that this is all about the results of the last Assembly election and the NIP and WF are convenient scapegoats to hide behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,642 ✭✭✭eire4

I totally agree with the 2 above posters. All this foot stamping and carrying on by the DUP with the protocol as the pretext was them just using the said protocol as cover for them not being able to deal with the last assembly election results which puts Sinn Féin in the first minister role.

• Advertisement

Donaldson pulled out of The View last night.

Could mean anything (twitter rumours of trouble in the DUP camp) but most likely means a lot will depend on the local election results. Donaldson will not want to face a grilling just before they go to the polls.

I think it is Unionist behaviour since the Anglo Irish Agreement and most spectacularly during Brexit that is responsible for the 'change'.

They have managed to end the tendency for top Conservatives to err on the side of Unionism. They have very few friends outside of Unionism itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,191 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Don't know about Unionist behaviour since the Anglo-Irish Agreement, but certainly the Conservative loss of interest in the union is not a response to unionist behaviour during Brexit; it happened before that. Brexit only happened the way it did because Conservatives lost interest in Ireland and ceased to value the union. Unionist at first didn't realise this and are now, mostly, in denial about it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The Ulster Unionist Party was effectively a Tory party in Westminster always voting with the Tories, up until the reform of seats increased them from 12 to 17 in 1982, but boundary changes in 1970 changed the representation. The founding of the SDLP and the DUP was instrumental in the ending of the UUP monopoly.

Since then, there has been a steady reduction in Tory interest in NI.

To be honest, I don't think the Tory interest in the union was ever an outcome of the fact that Ulster Unionist MPs took the Tory whip. They were rarely or never reliant on them to do so; Ulster MPs were not numerous enough to make the difference between having a majority and not having one.

Ulster Unionist MPs stopped taking the Tory whip in 1972, because they were pissed off about Sunningdale. But it was a considerable time after that that the Tories lost interest in the Union.

Thatcher was emotionally committed to the Union ("As British as Finchley") but only on the basis that she didn't have to understand it. She simply refused to engage with social or political realities that didn't reinforce the "as British as Finchley" view of Ulster. The result was a decade of stagnation.

When Thatcher's star waned and she eventually fell, things could change. I think the "UK has no selfish strategic interest in NI" statement came in about 1990 or 1991; it was pretty startling to hear a Tory government say that the UK had no strategic interest in part of the UK's own territory. That opened the gates to nearly a decade of change that culminated in the GFA, and the commitment that the people of Ireland, North and South, could decide their own future without interference from any external party (i.e. Westminster). That, of course, was the work of a Labour government, but it was building on a lot of work done in the 1990s by the Tory government, and the Tories did not dissent from that position.

At that point the UK was officially neutral about the union but the Tories could, of course, be a unionist party, and still professed to be. But it seems to have been a profession that had little impact on their policies and positions. While in opposition from then until 2010, I don't recall them adopting a single political or policy position that reflected a unionist conviction. And it's clear that, since Euroscepticism/brexitry became the dominant issue in the party, the maintenance of the union and the wishes, interests and welfare of NI have been, at best, a very distant second in importance to securing the hardest possible Brexit. A few backbench Tories have expressed dismay at the party's loss of concern for the union, but so far as I can recall nobody has actually rebelled over it. Intra-Tory opposition to the Westminster framework has often paid lip service to the union, but the Tory opponents of the WF have never urged that it be replaced with something that will effectively secure, sustain or defend the union; rather, they just want something that will deliver an ever-harder Brexit, which as far as the union is concerned will obviously have the opposite effect.

Thatcher was emotionally committed to the Union

That was Tory acting to the fore Peregrinus.

They all do the 'emotional' the Union is important stint at some time or other, Thatcher, May, Johnson, Sunak etc etc.

Thatcher considered withdrawing from NI when times got tough during the Hunger Strikes and significantly sold Unionism down the river by signing the AIA.

It was Unionist reaction to that and the GFA etc that began the real rot in the relationship. The Tories never really cared about Ireland or the partition of it. They pretended they did but Unionist behaviour has resulted in them now being happy to visibly go against what Unionism wants. It causes them very little damage in the British public mind too.

I think that the UK concern over NI will come down to the cost of the subsidy to NI and its continuance. When the belt needs tightening, the the furthest from the centre get hit the most. Plus those that vote for the Gov parties appear not to be hit so hard. NI is unlikely to support either Gov party.

Now, it is a bit like the returning 30 something offspring to the parents home in order to save the rent to build a deposit to buy a house. Does the parent charge a reasonable rent, or even a contribution to the household costs, or just allow the 'child' to live cost free in the hope it will quicken their departure to their new home. A difficult circle to square.

NI is an ongoing cost to the UK exchequer, but an UI would reduce that cost eventually, depending on any settlement with Ireland.

By continuing the subsidy for a definite time frame, it will make a UI more likely, and lead to an eventual end to the cost of NI. Of course the cost of NI is determined by the fudge - the Barnet formula. This was devised as a short term calculation but has become a long term one that satisfies no-one - as it applies the Scotland and Wales, but not England.

If it included England, it would be fairer - but for whom? For example, capital expenditure generally adds to the debt pile which is shared out by the Barnet formula, but a lot of those large and expensive infrastructure projects like Cross-rail, Heathrow runway extension, and HS2 all benefit the SE of England. None appear to benefit Wales, NI or Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,277 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Apologies. Here’s the one I thought I was in. - I don’t think I am even allowed in that thread. I will delete and post in the appropriate thread. Hope that’s ok

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058269489/ni-dec-22-assembly-election/p52

Well, here's a theory:

As long as the IRA was engaged in armed struggle, the Tories were committed to the union not because they actually cared about the union as because "we can't give in to terrorism", or its subtle variant "we can't be seen to give in to terrorism". You may think that reducing the republican movement to "terrorism" is a gross caricature, but undoubtedly they took it seriously. And their conception of Britain is of a sturdy, self-reliant nation that won't or can't be bullied.

Once the ceasefires took hold and the republican movement was committed to exclusively political and constitutional means of advancing the cause, this factor was removed, and that gave the Tories implicit permission to become more and more open about the fact that maintaining the union is not really on their agenda any more.

• Advertisement

Maybe. But there is no 'emotional committment'. Maybe to Eng Scot Wales, but NI was always expendable, they even saw it becoming part of a UI at the time of partition.

Advertisement