Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut Megathread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Alangers

Has anyone on here had Revolut restrict their account? I have been using my Revolut for a while as my main account - had the account since 2019. I recently was transferred to an Irish IBAN and was in the process of setting up my account to receive funds using the new IBAN and SWIFT. The Swift code returned an error when i was using it and i contact their in app chat to see why this might be the case and was immediately sent an email saying that my account was restricted and under review... More alarming is the following message in the chat i was having.

Also, since your account is currently being reviewed, I would like to inform you that the following actions are restricted on your account until the review is completed: 

❌ Inbound and outbound transfers - (to send or receive funds)

❌ Crediting the account (top-up)

❌ Card payments

❌ ATM withdrawals

❌ Exchange funds into you base currency

❌ Terminating your account

❌ Selling commodities e.g. gold/silver

❌ Selling your cryptocurrency

↩️ any transfers made to your account will automatically be rejected and returned to the original sender.

As i use the account for my salary I am now in a position that i cant get paid this month and therefore cant pay any bills mortgage etc until the restriction is lifted. They wont tell me how long it will take, what i need to do nor what i can do in the mean time for access to money. All shared vaults with my wife are also blocked so we cant access any shared funds either! Has anyone come across this and if so how long did it take to lift the restriction. Any help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭oneweb

Tried to look up Revolut Ireland Bank's eircode - D01 V4A3 - and realised the address is Dublin 1 ;)

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

You are not going to see a reliable updates via Chat on this as the actual review is done by a different team that is not in regular real time contact with the people that reply to chats.

This looks like an AML review of your account giving that they completely blocked any transactions and even will reject any incoming transfers.

The fastest way to engage with a real human being is immediately make a formal complaint (Info here), you can also try this e-mail address: formalcomplaints@revolut.com . They claim they respond in a couple of days, but it can take up to 15 days.

That way you create a Papertrail you can use later if you need to complain to the Financial Ombudsman to get your funds back in case Revolut closed your account and you don't want to wait ages for a refund.

Best is to get relevant paperwork ready (passport, proof of residence, proof of funds like Tax Return) and as you seem to receive money via SWIFT you might also want to have a proof why you are getting funds from outside the EU.

Worst case is they will close your account, best case is the relevant team is happy and the suspension is lifted quickly.

I got hit with a while ago right after the Irish IBAN got issued but I managed to get it lifted within a few hours, but others had their account in limbo for weeks.

Good luck, I hope you get access to your funds back soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭oneweb

Sure enough, that bounced too 🤦🏻‍♂️

The bizarreness of AIB Credit Card payment failures continues...

Revolut sent the Direct Debit... and got it back.

I manually sent a payment... and got it back.

AIB accepted the Direct Debit... and sent it back.

There's no appearance of my manual payment attempt.

For anyone wishing to complain (and I'd suggest EVERYONE who's affected submits a complaint, 'cos the more they get, the larger they'll realise the problem is):

The Financial Services and Pensions Ombudsman (the “FSPO”) is the out of court dispute resolution authority that deals with complaints against financial services providers doing business in Ireland. The FSPO has its address at Lincoln House, Lincoln Place, Dublin 2, D02 VH29.

If you are unhappy with how we have dealt with your complaint, you can refer it free of charge to the FSPO once you have been through our internal Revolut complaints process. You can reach the FSPO by phone (+ 353 1 567 7000) or by email ( info@fspo.ie). If you need more information on the FSPO, please refer to its website.

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,420 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So AIB are telling me that Revolut have accepted responsibility for the problem, which was due to not sending the credit card number reference properly with the transfer. It seems unlikely, but sure…

Has anyone else heard anything different?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

I find that hard to believe. I sent a test transaction from Revolut to Bunq and the reference was exactly how I had put it in Revolut. Still getting reversed when I send from Bunq or Revolut.

Will have to make a payment over the phone for the stamp duty on the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

I got a letter telling me AIB investigated and confirmed it wasn't their fault and contact Revolut if I need more information. Didn't say anything about credit card not coming through

Hard to believe indeed. I’ve made transfers to my CU account, with the reference coming through perfectly.

I think the issue is that there are if I recall correctly 3 different reference fields in a SEPA transfer and AIB and Revolut are not using the same fields when it comes to transfers, which is why the payment to the credit card accounts are hitting an issue.

Checking some quick documents there are 3 field:

• Payment description
    • Payment reference
    • End-to-end id

Now if I recall from an earlier post, AIB expect the reference credit card number in the End-toEnd ID field for payments on the "domestic" payment account which they call reference field, however the info you add to revolut in Reference is the Payment Description field not the end-to-end id and hence AIB gets something they are not set up to deal with.

So, if you make a transfer to some other bank which displays the payment description as reference on your account statement, yes, you will see the right numbers, but AIB is looking at the end-to-end id.

Same for Bunq, the description field they use is being transmitted as Payment description.

I assume AIB has set up the "domestic" payment account to look at end-to-end and hence it's not getting something in there and it rejects, and they have set up the "foreign" payment account to look at payment description, but it rejects irish IBAN's because those don't have payment description.

This is why you did not have any problems paying from your LT IBAN, it came onto the "foreign" reference account which looked at the right field and hence went into your credit card.

So as long as Bunq/Revolut are not using End-to-end id this will continue.

I know that some banks are offering both payment description and end-to-end id in their online transactions, but Revolut/Bunq don't.

So AIB is not totally wrong when they claim it's a Revolut issue but it's only a revolut issue because AIB is not looking at all fields and the Irish banking sector has decided to use End-to-End rather than payment description.

At least that is my view, but there are people on here, which will be in a way better position to explain this.

I’ve been making payments to AIB credit card from my Revolut account for months without any difficulty.

The only thing that changed was the switch from LT to IE IBAN for the Revolut account. It’s hard to see how this would impact referencing.

• Advertisement

It doesn't impact referencing on Revolut sides, it impacts AIB.

When you pay to the "foreign" reference account they look for the payment description field, check if it matches a credit card number and if it's from a foreign account and voila it will be processed as credit to your account. Somebody might even doing this manually. God only knows it's AIB!

When you pay to the "domestic" reference account they look at the End-to-end id (which is what Irish Banks are using to transmit the payment reference) and the computer picks up your reference and credit to your card happens as its automated.

Now you come with a Revolut LT IBAN on the "foreign" reference account, and all is well as there is a payment description. All good. Computer sees what it expects - foreign bank sending and reference in payment description field. Credit to your account happens.

Now you come with a Revolut IE IBAN but there is nothing in the "End-to-end id" because Revolut does not submit anything in that field. But computer says this is from an "irish" bank, so there must be something in "end-to-end". Hence AIB does not know where to credit the money too. Which is why they first accept the payment into the reference account but then are unable to credit it further.

There are 2 simple solutions, Revolut start using "end-to-end" when payments are sent from the Irish IBAN or AIB starts using modern banking apps that allow to look at all 3 fields independent which reference account the payment lands on.

Now again open to correction, it might be that the fields are used different but that is my understanding.

I had a similar issue when I tried to pay my PTSB visa card years ago from my German account, it returned, but my German bank offers all three fields to put info in there, so once I put the card number into the "end-to-end" field all was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,874 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Interestingly, when I make transfers to An Post, the reference always gets deleted

I've put references in Revolut but when it shows in An Post it always says "not provided"

My guess is that it's something similar to this issue

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

I phoned AIB and they mentioned the end to end id that was referenced earlier. They also said they had 16 complaints about this and had been in contact directly with Revolut on how to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭Tow

Part if the problem is the banks don't use the proper name for the difference reference fields. You would never know it is an ISO Standard!

If you want more reading google for the Dummies guide to ISO20022 pdf.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The Categories feature would be a great way of keeping track on spend (hello Amazon!) if it worked; but mine keep on being reset :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭beachhead

Revolut cards are hit with the same ATM charges as any other card.The exchange rate is only marginally better outside the EU.I see a post about e1,500 a month the charges will be noticeable on the amount.A company like smallworldfs.com would cost less if done in one transaction

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

I need to open up a revolut account. Apart from my passport,do I need additional documents?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Passport and your phone is all you need. They will ask you for your tax number (PPS) at some point (Could be months or more) after your account is open.

So no other documentation is needed just passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

Many thanks, they can't reactivate my old account. I must open a new one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Our joint account for all household/joint/mortgage expenditure is now set up using Revolut as the main provider. Not too hard changing over the direct debits.

Final hurdle is to get the kids child allowance paid in there.

Will then be able to get get rid of the piece of crap that is the PTSB app. The bloody 2FA that mostly never works and blocking Google pay use after 5 or so transactions (until you use chip and pin to reset it) is a pain in the hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Has anyone figured out a way to get spare change turned on when using a joint account? Works fine for personal accounts but is it a feature for joint accounts yet?

No problems with 2FA on PTSB for me and anything that secures an account must be good - chip and pin use.I would have a concern if it didn't happen.Certain other banks in the couldn't give a ................................

• Registered Users Posts: 10,166 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Genuinely I’ve never had a problem with PTSB. Online/app banking is fine. The 2FA has worked perfectly every time. Use Apple Pay rather than google pay and never have to reset.

Appreciate others may feel differently but very happy with them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

For those who use an AIB credit card and having issues to pay the balance via Revolut: Avant money credit card allows to pay off the bill on their website, so there's no issue dealing with a bounced payment.

What does Avant money mastercard offering have to do with the AIB Visa card issue? This is like saying N26 is the solution to paying your AIB credit card as they don't have issues with bounced payments... in addition you are only offering a 15k line of credit.

The above post has a sense of an employee pimping the product to be honest.

If less than 15k is not enough (which in most cases is), than AIB credit card holder can consider moving to someone with more flexible service, i.e. posibility to pay online, not the old school way via the EFT. It's hard to believe you're pretending that you didn't get what I was saying. And don't need to be overly dramatic for someone being helping and pointing out to the other option.

Sure just at a considerably higher APR for those that don't clear it monthly.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Baasterd

Been using Revolut for year's after a friend of a friend helped set them up, I would never carry a significant balance there however, but great for internet shopping and travel.

True

• Advertisement

Credit card isn't designed to use it as a short loan (e.g., for longer than 56 days). APR for most credit card holders is irrelevant as most people pay it off as soon as the bill is ready.

Advertisement