Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut Megathread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

You cannot go back to LT IBAN and the instance transfer do not work any more on the IE on so you will juat have to wait until tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Ive been using them since 2022 for salary and i havent had any issue with salary or stock payouts either. I don't use any crypto sites which i think can lead to issue with account blocking. If getting any money from other sources like that i'll use a secondary PTSB/EBS/AIB account for that. I have EBS current account as a backup as well as N26 and Visa if it comes to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Making Revolut your primary account was discussed on Tech Talk over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Received a response from AIB in letter form stating they are investigating the issue regarding rejection of Revolut payments to their AIB credit card payment account and they will get back to me no later than the 25th of this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,874 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I've never had an issue, and with the new Irish IBAN it's much easier

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Opened a joint account with the IE IBAN....now to start the direct debit changeover.

Dumb question and it's about neobanks in general, how do they validate signed direct debit forms as I don't think I've ever given Revolut a speciman signature?!?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

I'm doing the same re salary.

Like you say you only hear about the negative experiences not the bigger number of positive experiences.

I've used Revolut as my main account for 2 plus years (transferring part of my salary to it) without any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Got one last week. I was on waiting list originally. didn’t receive any notification from Revolut that I could proceed to next stage. Just chanced arm with application.

I don't think the bank does anything to validate it, it's the company who sets up the direct debit that does it

As the account owner it's basically up to you to ensure there aren't any direct debits that shouldn't be there

FWIW, I'm doing the same at the moment and most of them can be switched over online, only two required paper forms so far (one being the mortgage of course, because nothing says anachronistic like the banking industry 🙄)

I also have a DD with my personal account and there was never any issues with signatures

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

My credit union was the same, their app wouldnt recognise the new BIC. I had to go in there and explain and they got their tech team to update their system and now it works for transferring money to Revlout. But it took a bit of insistance as their default position to begin with was that it was Revlouts fault when I knew that was unlikely.

Anyway I came here to ask does anyone know where I can find concrete information on Revlouts charges to withdraw your money at ATMs abroad and specifically African countries in this instance. I looked in their app wanting to find a country by country list of charges but cant find anything at all.

Also if anyone has travelled Africa using a Mastercard, how was it. Ive read that not everywhere accepts it as Visa is dominant there. Did you find the same, was it hard to find ATMs that withdrew cash on the Mastercard network?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ShayNanigan

Yeah, I figured there was no going back but it was just a thought. Anyway, the transfer was completed a couple of hours after I posted here so all's well!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Tow

It is Revolts fault. The have not registered their new BIC on the European Payment Councils database of SEPA Credit Transfer capable banks.

https://www.europeanpaymentscouncil.eu/sites/default/files/participants_export/sct/sct.pdf?v=1680820246

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

I have transferred funds from new Revolut IBAN to an AIB current account without issue yet I still can't do the same to AIB's credit card bill account.

Regarding ATMs, probably the most concrete answer is it depends

Revolut will apply an ATM withdrawal fee of 2% once you go above €200 or 5 withdrawal transactions. The limits are higher on the paid accounts

However you might get charged by the ATM provider as well for using their service. I got hit with that in the US a couple of times

Also depending on the currency, you might pay an exchange surcharge. This is because Revolut sometimes uses external payment services to change some currencies and they need to pay for that service

I think if you try exchanging to that currency it'll show the charges

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Topped up my account via AIB credit card yesterday but during the process was asked for the CVT (3 digit) number from the credit card. I don't think I have been asked for this previously and see no reason for it as during the top-up process you have to go through the AIB approval process to confirm the transaction.

Have Revolut added this pain-in-the-hole™ feature to push people to directly transfer funds from their Irish bank account to Revolut rather than from a credit card?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ShayNanigan

I take it back... Seems to be very arbitrary how fast the transaction is completed. Now been waiting all day for my money to reach the Revolut account and no sign of it yet. You'd think after it was completed once, it would work the next time but no.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

Has anyone managed to find out when all customers should be on Irish ibans?

Still waiting on mine

This is normal, it's a card transaction after all

I've noticed that transferring money to Revolut can often take a day, unless I transfer it first thing in the morning

Whereas if I transfer from Revolut to another bank it can be very quick, usually done in less than a day

So I'd be inclined to point the finger at the Irish banks as much as Revolut

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭BEdS_83

I was told they won’t change my. Long story short I cancelled my account. Created another one same day and hot the Irish iban right away.

• Advertisement

Thanks for this. In your experience is Revlouts charges in non-EU countries much of a muchness or is there a better card out there with lower charges? I'll probably be withdrawing about 1,500 a month so the 2% fees will rack up, its not the end of the world or anything but just wondering is there a better way out there

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You should not assume anything about a transaction completing outside the SEPA rules. A delay could happen for many different operational reasons and as long as they are hitting their SEPA targets no one is going to get too excited. It could be something as simple a DBA having to run an extra backup, a file transfer failing, a disaster recover test by one of the licensing or supervisory bodies or any number of other stupid things that happen in a work day.

I'll be honest, I don't have much experience using Revolut outside Ireland, my experience was with other banks

Since Revolut is geared towards travellers, I would imagine it's one of the best out there

Having said that, I'd be tempted to have another card in hand just in case, perhaps N26 or another bank is worth looking into

You might also want to look into Metal since it's got the highest withdrawal allowance before paying the fee and looking at the amount of cash you'll be withdrawing, the savings should cover the monthly fee

Thanks yeah I was just looking into Metal there and am thinking of upgrading to it as it says it gives ATM withdrawls for free up to 800 per month and then also 40% discount on their transaction fees to process anything above that amount. It also gives you travel insurance which I was going to buy anyway for 160 from Multi Trip but Metal is 135 a year so potentially a big saving there. I just have to dig through pages of T&Cs first as the travel insurance bit is vague on the app, I need to see the detail of what it covers before I take cover with Revlout instead of a traditional insurer. If its similar cover for medical and accidents abroad then its a bargain for me as I was going to have to spend 160 on insurance it anyway but Metal could give me that and discounted currency exchange and ATM withdrawal fees on top

If you or any poster has a referral code or knows of a sign up discount code when upgrading to Metal then kindly post it up. Im happy to go 50/50 if there is a referral code for Metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Revolut Bank UAB is now offering some of its existing customers up to 80€ to bring in new customers.

Check in App what your targeted referral bonus is.

And that for a standard account, not even a paid version, 80€ for a standard customer.

Does anyone know if there's a way to see the total of upcoming expenses?

If you click into scheduled payments it'll bring up the category totals (vaults, scheduled transfers, subscriptions) but it doesn't show the grand total

Is there another view that shows this, or is my only option to grab the calculator?

EDIT: I've managed to answer my own question. If you tap into analytics, then tap scheduled payments and scroll to the bottom there's an option to see all scheduled payments

It'll open a new page which shows the total of upcoming payments at the top

Nice, but they could make it easier to find 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭MacDanger

That referral amount seems to go up and down a bit, earlier this year, I was getting 50, then 60, then 70, now back to 60. I've never referred anyone so it doesn't make any difference to me but would be interested to know how they decide on what the bonus is for each customer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

It clearly is targeted because I know people who go a mail today telling them 40, 50, 60, 70 or 80.

Maybe it's based on your past ability to bring people in or what they estimate they can attach as value to the person you got or maybe it's as simple as they pick the number at random.

On the surface it seems that if you are a good customer which generates some revenue (premium plans, fees etc.) you are are more likely to have friends that also would do that so you might get a righer referal bonus than someone who just uses Revolut without generating any sort of revenue for them.

What is clear however is that paying 80€ for a referral is significant.

• Administrators Posts: 53,384 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Am I imagining things, or did you used to be able to buy travel insurance from Revolut even if you were on the free plan?

• Advertisement

It's a bit annoying that they only offer the standard card with the joint account with no option to personalise it

It would be nice if it was a different colour to easily distinguish it from a personal account one

It does seem to say joint account on it at least, just would have preferred something more idiot proof

EDIT: Well seems that Revolut heard me and decided to make me look the fool 😅

Got the new joint card today and it's definitely a darker shade of blue/magenta to my standard one

Dunno if that's just the new colour scheme, I got my personal card in 2022 so it might have changed

Post edited by the_amazing_raisin on

Advertisement