Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy to step down from Late Late role when season ends

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,414 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Remember him this way…

• Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Why? Because RTE have gone all in on replacing men in presenting roles with women. It seems diversity is more important to RTE than capability.

And in the highly unlikely event that this doesn't go to a woman, they will be decried by the usual suspects of being part of the patriarchy etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Long Sean Silver

Fantastic news! Made my day i can tell you.

He is a terrible interviewer, all the charisma of a week old cheese sandwich, and never stops prattling on & on about the flippin' toy show. I swear he only ever did the gig so he could dress up as an Elf and regress.

Personally I would like to see Ray D'Arcy. He had a stint some time back and I thought he was very good. Angela Scanlon might liven things up a bit? Tommy Tiernan might be a bridge too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭screamer

women I can think of top of my head to replace him who haven’t been mentioned before…. rte only seems to hire women these days, so…..

Angela Scanlon

vogue williams

blathnid ni coffaigh

Ann Cassin

Ciara Kelly

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Long Sean Silver

Brillant. I would pay to see that, but the Mammy has got to be part of it. She's a class act.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Just like he gave Annie Murphy and Terry Keane. To name but two. **** off.

I don't think the LL has ever suited Tubridy, he was always afraid to take on controversies and never had the current affairs knowledge to engage at that level.

Its a tough gig to staff, theres no doubt about it, because the necessity to be one half Prime Time presenter and one half The Den presenter is not easily fit by many.

I don't think Claire Byrne or Ray D'Arcy will be up for it, for opposite reasons. Likewise I think an Angela Scanlon type doesn't have the seriousness chops and Sarah McInerney or Katie Hannon would hardly be Toy Show or Valentines day mess material.

About the only person I can think of who has both sides of the coin reasonably well covered is Brendan O'Connor. Now I don't mind him, but I can why others would.

If I had a fantasy island choice, it would be Dara O'Briain and I just don't think he'll give up the successful thing he has going on in London, along with his wife who is an eminent surgeon there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

There’s a lot (including myself) of regular BOC Show posters from yesteryear who urged RTÉ through our feeble protests here on boards TV forum to give TLLS to Brendan - that was a number of years ago and I wouldn’t change my mind in terms of posts I made back then (under a different user name) .

But now, today? Hmmm, here’s my thinking.

1. If it were a male presenter, I’d LOVE to see Tommy Tiernan get it as he’s put the talk show format completely on its head and he’s actually great- BUT- RTÉ will never go with Tommy - they want a “safe” pair of hands, someone who will role in and do what RTÉ want them to do - remember, Gay Byrne only did it as long as he was producer- that doesn’t fly with RTÉ these days.
    2. Brendan O’ Connor would be a good more realistic and possibly mostly RTÉ approved presenter, considering he held his own with his own show but TBH, he’s not going to be anything radical - he’s also considered “old” from a media perspective and TLLS is all about marketing and money which means “younger” let’s face it, so sorry Brendan, much as I hate to say it, you’re out, and the primary reason is not your age actually, it’s your sex- had you announced that you were now transitioning to female, changed your name to Brenda and started to wear Alexander McQueen and Jimmy Cho, you’d probably be a “shoe-in”- pun intended- the next presenter of TLLS will definitely be female- there’s no doubt about that.
    3. So, my bet is, Miriam O’ Callaghan may consider it, but I’m not sure she’ll do it- she could well put herself forward for President in the next election. I don’t see Miriam really wanting this job at this stage of her career - she’s better than TLLS and it’s a total poisoned chalice - it’s run it’s course for nearly 20 years or more now- that -Claire Byrne if offered it, I believe she would likely jump at the chance - but I believe it would be wrong for Claire to do it because again I think she’s just too much of a safe pair of hands. TLLS needs someone younger than these suggested people, someone dynamic, someone who can radically bring TLLS back to a “must see” show- possibly someone who very few people know and will have to learn to love, or indeed hate. I need to have a think before suggesting someone but for the reasons I’ve given I don’t think anyone above should get the job.

• Not this lady over 55, he doesn’t give me the hots, only the hot flushes

• Registered Users Posts: 18,524 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The best of luck to RT. Managed to do a very simple job and get extremely well paid for it.

I'd expect the state broadcaster would have similar recruitment policies as the rest of the state funded organisations with a fair and transparent recruitment procedure.

The good news is I am available for interview at any time. I have ample experience chewing the cud with everyone from the very young to the very old, 5 years full-time working in a bar gave me ample experience in speaking with one and all. The next 15 years in customer service/project management role gave me plenty experience in teasing out issues people have and establishing people's bone fides. I also enjoy current affairs, stay on top of entertainment news and love toys/kids.

I'd be ideal for the role. Looking forward to hearing from RTE on the application process.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Roy Keane.

Not even joking.

Roy Keane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Oh I’m with you on that- if Ray Darcy gets it I’m stopping my TV licence in protest and will force the issue to my doorstep (then I’ll start my TV licence again after the inspector has left with a cup of tea 😀 )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭RoTelly

His audience numbers on Newstalk aren't good enough and he did present Good Grief Moncreiff in the 90s.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭screamer

Maybe they’ll make a reality show to pick the successor, call it, I dunno, RTEs got no talent and run it like a z factor competition with the public ringing in to vote every week for their favourite to win, could add an ould drop of the apprentice too for a fun element.

Who are you aiming this at? You're pretending that I'm a feminazi type when I'm nothing of the sort, nor have I given any such indication. I'm not making any unreasonable demands so your posts make no sense.

Obviously it wouldn't. It would just be appointing an adult to do a job.

But why are you so certain it's diversity (and it's hardly really diverse stuff simply to have a mixture of male and female presenters 🤔) and not being suitable for the job?

Funny thing is the ideal successor would be better at the normal show and indifferent towards the toy show 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Hilarious that peope consider Gay Byrne one of the great presenters ever on the telly. LOL.

A horrible condescending arrogant little man. When P Flynn gave his interview i thought himself and Gaybo could have been the same person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,524 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

But keep the same guests each week - they're nearly there already 🤣

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It could be that RTÉ cancel the LL altogether.

It would make a lot of sense to do so. 'Appointment TV' as they call it, is a thing of the past. RTÉ could easily achieve what it gets from TLLS through its current affairs titles, through standalone recorded interviews and through periodical interview shows such as Tommy Tiernan.

Take last week on TLLS. It was the absolute worst lineup of guests I can recall. If that's how things are going to be, then maybe the kindest thing would be to retire the brand and replace it with other entertainment specials and a standalone Toy Show in the run up to Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I think it's had its day also. Flogging a dead horse is not going to work anymore no matter how much they might want to reward one of their Luvvies with the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It's their most popular show, people watch it for some reason.

Probably why it goes on for two hours or more,fit in more advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,996 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

• Registered Users Posts: 15,819 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I am delighted he is going. I think someone fun like Claire Burn, Moriam O Calihan or Sharon Ni Bhoiloin should get it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 War ensemble

I’d like to see Patrick Kielty given the gig. Clever witty and a likeable personality. Wonder what he’s up to these days

There should be a poll amongst TV license holders. Red C could choose the questions.

Be gas if the leaders of all the parties in DE could present one show each. No politics allowed, light entertainment only. That'll show us who's who. The Indos can do a joint Toy Show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,843 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I actually disagree - Ray would be a good choice, once you keep him away from the buttons! He's a good interviewer and shows genuine empathy. Knows his way around TV as well. I'd go with Ray alright.

Advertisement