Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy to step down from Late Late role when season ends

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭griffin100

Few suggestions here for Emer O'Neill who I had to google never having heard of her. She certainly ticks all the RTE boxes alright.

Maybe a rolling host changing week on week, selected along with the guests by the RTE Canteen staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,335 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

it would be very interesting to see how she'd get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I don't think Tommy Tiernan would make the commitment to do it in its current form.

If they go for a woman I think they don't know their audience. Their audience is auld ones and the last thing they want to be listening to is a younger woman.

I actually think RTE only do serious programming well and they should go back to the days where the LLS discussed social and political, and international matters of the day (panel like discussions, or where guests stay on until the end to contribute), alongside a bit of light-hearted stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I don't think the show should end, for all its faults it's a unique type of chat-show that isn't replicated anywhere else that I can think of and it is a National Institution. Yeah, maybe some rejigging of the format - but I still think TLLS is worth preserving.

Tubridy going might be the greatest thing that could happen to it. He wasn't cut out in any shape or form to present a show like that. It's not an easy job tbf: it's live TV in front of an audience, for over two hours, with constant 180 turns in terms of content and tone. Most people would struggle, but Tubridy just never came across genuinely and always seemed a bit tone-deaf, in a rush and uptight. I suspect he's a funnier and smarter man than the version of himself he portrayed on the show, it's a pity he didn't feel the confidence to display that a bit more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The lead item on the One O Clock News,like it's important.

Can't think of anyone in RTE that wouldn't make it even more dull and dreary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I think the trinity of Joe Duffy's from Apre Match should present the Late Late Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭steinbock123

Lottie Ryan shouldn’t be let within an asses roar of a microphone, never mind a camera. Nepotism rules in RTE. Do you think if her father hadn’t been an RTE “star” she’d have been let in the door?? Not a chance. And I heard her brother being interviewed on Brendan O’Connors show last Sunday as well. As Joe Duffy might say - “Whoy”?.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,671 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Can't really comment on Ryan and the LLS as haven't watched it since he took over, bar the odd cringey bit of toy show. Would he give up the radio slot as well?

She was very put out when she didn't get the Dancing with the Stars gig.

I honestly think she taught she had it in the bag.

• Administrators Posts: 53,507 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Presumably he's being pushed due to ratings, but I don't see how any presenter could turn the show around.

I don't think the appetite really exists for these sort of shows any more, I would bet that the average age of the LL viewer is getting higher and higher and people who watch it are doing so more out of habit than anything else. Too much choice these days.

Probably also why people think LL was better under previous presenters. Yea, they probably were a bit better, but there was also a lot less content competing for your time on a Friday night!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

It's definitely not an easy job, and I suppose like anything, the people who make a job look easy are the ones who are really good at it.

I gave up watching shortly after Tubridy took over. He is so uneasy and on edge that it wasn't a comfortable watch. I think part of it might be that he lacks any true interest in other people. And that shows.

I recorded the LLS with The Dubliners presented by Gay Byrne when it was re- shown in more recent years and I honestly think it's a masterclass in presenting. I'm not saying Gaybo got everything perfect all of the time, or anything, and there will be plenty who will point out what he got wrong over the years. But that programme is so well worth watching. You have a feeling that anything at all could happen, or be said and Gay Byrne is able for it. I think he liked that edge of seat kind of situation that Tubridy would run a mile from.

I have heard people suggesting that he fancies a run at the Presidency. I'm afraid he wouldn't get my vote for that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,520 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Jennifer’s voice is a bit “Donaghmede” tbh. Would turn off rural watchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The media think there's nothing more important than the media.

Elsewhere in the real world, the ECB have increased rates by 0.5%

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I don't watch the Late Late Show or DWTS or indeed anything much on RTE but I would have to officially get rid of my tv if that happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Also never heard of Emer and so Googled her, the first three hits are terrifying: 

"I am a motivational speaker that does workshops and talks on Anti Racism, Unconscious Bias, Mental Health and Activity and Movement."

"Equality Activist- dm for workshop"

"I would never have told anybody that I suffered with depression"

The show will become a workshop on what an awful people we were until Modern Ireland came along and saved us. 

I can think of another prominent female that ticks a big box that has not been mentioned here yet as a possibility - and I'm not going to tempt fate by naming her now.

Seriously, we should promise Ryan that if he stays we'll double his salary, buy tickets for the Toy Show Musical and will stop counting all his freebies :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Graham Norton and Jonathan Ross probably do well. They're light-hearted shows though,with good presenters. Two things RTE wouldn't have a notion about.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

This..

There was no place to discuss serious issues when it began with Gaybo .

Now it comes across as Tubs going deep and then with a quip back to regular stuff . Very insincere.

Should be a ban on same celebs , models and influencers doing the rounds every year. Sick of the sight of them

Graham Norton is brilliant but a copy of him might be just as annoying as RT .

Don't know who I'd like from the RTE circuit of hosts . Maybe they need to look outside or even abroad to attract talent .

Maybe Graham might come back??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭Sigma101

I stopped watching the Late Late years ago. Too many rubbish guests with nothing interesting to say. I think it's an astute move by Tubridy to get out now while he's still young enough to be considered for other things. RTE will keep flogging the dead horse and will vainly attempt to breathe new life into it with a younger, female presenter. That new presenter will be...

Angela Scanlon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭hawley

Completely agree with this. Think that it's down to money. He's not being paid much more than the likes of D'Arcy and Duffy. He probably feels his wages should be far ahead of them. He'll do a few vanity projects and remain on pretty much the same amount. All about the Benjamins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭quinnd6

I thought Tubridy was very good as host, sorry to see him leave. If a woman gets the late late show I won't be watching it anymore as all the women at RTE just wouldn't suit it. Tommy Tiernan is great but I doubt he'll get it. Apart from that I can't think of anyone. I really hope they don't give it to flipping Miriam O'Callaghan it'd be boring as heck I thought she was an absolute snorefest when she subbed for Tubridy. Might as well have any of the news readers do it as that. I think the show may be completely screwed after Tubridy leaves to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I would say there are no big fans of LLS anymore .

As @Spanish Eyes said nobody watches it anymore it's so dry .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭RoTelly

She is coming back with Ask Me Anything filming starts in April, unless they plan to air it during the summer and not in September there might be a possibility.

Cynically the announcement was made as this Friday is St. Paddy's day and TLLS has a special this will increase audience along with the audience wanting the St. Paddy's Day Special, and it will also see Tubs audience go up until his last show, which will be a special one also. Without all of the specials from Valentine's to Country and Western Tub's audience would have plummeted over the last few years. Also last few weeks have been heavily promoted across RTÉ.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I remember Miriam O'Callaghan being interviewed once where she spoke about Christmas in her house, She has 6 or 8 kids I think and they wanted a mobile phone for Christmas, she said she bought one phone and raffled it between them on Christmas day, she'd be a great ambassador for the toy show alright :)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Beginning to seem that being a presenter on LLS is the kiss of death. To be avoided by those with an eye to the future, unless is it a dry run for the Presidency.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭RoTelly

In fairness there was no TV before TLLS started. There is also a sense that RTÉ had no other current affairs shows tackling issues, 7days and its successor was often in trouble with Government and Lobby groups and Advertisers, leading to it being axed, even its replacements caused problems, then you had QandA and Today Tonight. What TLLS did was to be able to cross the line into CA and Light entertainment with ease.

Tubs' interview with comedian Julian Carey is a great example of how out of depth he was as a presenter. How did the Lenny Henry interview go? When you compare both of those guest to when Gay Byrne interviewed them.

Pat threw caution to the wind, he had their Crime Correspondent on about drugs, prostitution etc etc and it was then followed by the band Blondie wanting to continue the conversation, would have made for great TV had they been let and if the audience had been give an opportunity to respond, Pat just carried on with a Rock Band interview.

You also have to remember your not going to get anyone nowadays wanting to be controversial on TV. I can't see Tubs wanting to tackle many of the more taboo subjects of today in case he'd be cancelled.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Jesus...we will have the dragged out long goodbye now until he goes at the end of May....

Why not just go now?....do us all a favour....

...Tubridy will be stroking himself dreaming of Bono showing up on his last show to present him with a motorbike.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

They'd be one hamper of cosmetics to raffel between everybody in the audienve whilst Miriam will go home with her boot full.

Post edited by freshpopcorn on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Anton Savage would be great for it, but not a hope unfortunately

Advertisement