Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy to step down from Late Late role when season ends

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,505 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yeah agree. That's the rock TV in general is perishing on . RT was only ever an American style Late Show interviewer , short , formulaic finished in five minutes, go to ads or music clip . Boring. Too careful not to offend .

I like the irreverence of Graham Norton but he is always in control. He can let the guests chat on but only intervenes when it gets too off piste. And it's a lot shorter than the LLS.

I would like if the LLS had a longer music section with maybe two presenters taking turns interviewing and get a bit of a buzz going .

I can't really comment on RTs interviews because I switched the programme off for years except on a rare occasion if I knew somebody I wanted to see was going to be on it . On an odd occasion I would look at it and enjoy it , but mostly would catch up on other stuff on Friday nights .

There are some vibrant funny presenters who should be given a chance but maybe as another suggested a group rotating so no one person gets stale .

Angela Scanlan , Baz., Tommy, Panti Bliss , Hector even , and Sarah McInerney too , along with some of our other talent that have emigrated ..Dara O' Broin , Aisling Bea , Sharon Horgan, Dylan Moran ...there are so many and it would be great if RTE would just stop with the same old group of presenters and mix it up a bit .

Think it is way too long for a chat show for one host , in fairness to Pat Kenny and Ryan Tubridy .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

They couldnt afford Graham Norton, he is worth more than £20m after he sold his production company that makes his show. And while his salary on the BBC isnt known its likely to be at least £2m a year, could even be higher. Norton is mega wealthy, he wouldnt be taking 500k.

Couldnt see Dara o'Briain upping his family from London either though he could fly over for the couple of days work.

I think its Claire Byrnes if she wants it but she gave up her Monday night show to spend time with famiy so taking on the Late Late would be a complete 180 on that stance. Unless they do what they should have done in the first place and give Sarah McInerney the Today radio show and Byrne just does the Late Late.

I hope Brendan o'Connor throws his hat in the ring. Before Tommy Tiernan came along o'Connors Saturday night show was regularly drawing more viewers than the Late Late. By his third season he was really in his groove but then RTE went and axed his show

I am gone and will never return along with many others I would say if the usual suspects get the show all to themselves.

Jeez I never want to see CB again after the last few years and think I am not alone there .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I don't know if I would agree with that list but everyone has their own tastes.

If I were to become presenter... I only cost 499,000 😂... or even a producer of the show...

1. Limit the sad stories and don't make everything in to a misery
    2. On occasion have strong panel of conversationalists who can analysis the week that was, from a broad spectrum of views, but in an entertaining way.
    3. Give new musicians, new comedian more opportunities, did Ryan ever introduce a stand up during his time on TLLS
    4. Work towards trying to get people outside of RTÉ even if that is purely to get a cast member from a big movie / tv show from the 80s or 90s
    5. Work towards bigger names you can get LIVE
    6. Test the specials rather than running with them. e.g. St. Vals special really should have been a segment not a full show.
    7. Drop the Eurovision (for TLLS sake and your sake)
    8. Don't be afraid to bring the audience into ask questions.

Maybe get a newbie someone no-one has heard of?

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 33,212 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If I was taking a bet on it, I'd say it'll be either Miriam or CB.

Definitely a woman though. Nailed on.

Either way, it'll not save the shows decline.

Wonder what sort of pay cut our Ryan will be taking now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭andydurnin

i think they should keep it going but mix it up and not have the usual RTE presenters, they cant get prime time presenters . it not prime time that we want on a Friday night. We need light entertainment show to compete with graham norton.

Before tubridy got the job, Patrick Kielty was one of the people RTE was thinking of for the job. He would be great and can do serious and funny. He would defo pull in the viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Sorry to be rude, but CB is an airhead. Doesn't know whether she should be serious or on a cookery/beauty show. I know - I'm an awful critic and so perfect myself.

It will be someone from the RTE stale bread "stable" I reckon. But as I said earlier I'd watch if there were different presenters every week on rotation maybe? I'm sure even with my hyper critical attitude I might find someone to spark my interest, then the guests don't matter much!

But safe is the RTE way, and the gene pool is small.

Gay Byrne would have had the Burkes and Gemma O'Doherty on the show and given them a fair hearing

Don't disagree and accept everyone has their favourites.

I just prefer fresh new comedy and live music . The odd sad segment is acceptable but not every week .

Rotate presenters . Would give people a chance to fit a bit if LLS presenting into their lives without moving home and country . Would ensure a fresh show every week and highlight the better presenters among them .

I think it's time to move away from one presenter or ditch the show entirely .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭griffin100

That would certainly keep the nepotism going alright and be aligned with how RTE do business. He comes from and is an active part of a toxic family. .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Anna Geary, everyone loves her, including herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

They need a panel show with some familiar guest rotating which will cover the general spectrum while keeping the older crowd tuning in.

Presenter: Combo or block residence of Dara O'Brian/Tommy Tiernan/Miriam O'Callaghan/Sarah McInerney - Someone who doesn't take themselves too seriously while being able to hold a room. Would rule out Claire Byrne/Daithi O'Se easily steered vanilla types and SJW male or female, token campaigners.

Full show Panel: Comedian | Jounalist | Musician/Sports person | Politico | Presenter/Celebrity

Thrash out the week that was with some satire, keeping it light with necessity on balance of people involved.

Two or three music guest or same band with two/three numbers and you have the bones of a decent show.

Limit show to no more than 90 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭seanin4711

That and when Al porter and Eoin whats his face got their marching orders. RTE and 2FM are a total waste of taxpayers money! They will never change or cost cut,recession proof!

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

You see this is the kind of stuff that would provoke debate and get viewers.

Shorter show, add a bit of controversy, let the guests do the talking, also open it up to the audience. A host that will play devils advocate 100% and not virtue signal.

Tubs came across as insincere, nervous even after nearly 15 years in the gig, and he waffled so much trying to sound intelligent. I often had to laugh watching him sitting in the groups of musicians he had on, tapping his foot, trying to regale with some pseudo philosophical bulls*t. Hes not a bad fella clearly, but hes simply not lived enough or worldly enough to rub shoulders with people we want to see interviewed.

He was on the radio today explaining his decision to leave as like being at a party thats still hopping (party being the show) but hes looking at the time on his phone and the taxi is nearly here. Thats the kinda waffle from him that makes me cringe, who the hell talks like that in the real world like. He has such a view of himself when he is really in a bubble of his own. I think he hides behind the brand of the show, the LLS, never had the ambition/talent to make it HIS show. A lightweight.

God knows who will get it. If its a woman its going to bomb and I think RTE know this. I know its a sexist remark, but it will bomb given the demographic that watch it. Tommy Tiernan kinda captures the new Ireland and old ireland (in some ways), I actually think they would be ballsy enough this time to give it to him, but I don't think it would appeal to him either creatively or financially, given the commitment it would need.

Best of making it a shorter show, tackling issues of the week. Bring on genuine opposing views with prospect of a bit of a row, people love conflict. Maybe a comedian performance, new music and a steady pair of hands who knows when and how to interject.

In the interim, it might not be a bad idea to have a rotating host every week, put it out there to see who wants a crack at it, bit like Have I got news for you. Different presenter every week, we may be surprised by someone we never thought of, when the reigns are let off them. Before definitively rowing in beside someone for the next 10 years without knowing if they are crap or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

RTE should reverse the Tommy Tiernan Show format for the LLS. Rotate the presenter(s) each week and nobody will know who's going to present it until they walk out each Friday night.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 20,416 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Claire Byrne was Newstalks worst presenter, completely clueless.

Dunno who does the hiring in RTE,but they're an awful talentless shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

There you go!

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I like the irreverence of Graham Norton but he is always in control. He can let the guests chat on but only intervenes when it gets too off piste.

Yes, I enjoy that too. And of course the show is pre-recorded.

Graham Norton also strikes me as someone who can very much think on his feet and is very quick-witted. Neither attribute applies to Tubridy, imo. While Graham can appear to be always relaxed and having the crack, I think he is more than alert and well able, should anything serious need to be discussed.

I can't for a minute imagine RTE could afford him but I wish they would get him to train potential presenters.

I genuinely can't think of anyone offhand that I would like to see presenting the LLS. Please do not let it be Ray D'arcy!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 NotThisMorning

I think Seán Moncrieff would be perfect for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,416 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Great interviewer. Nobody with talent is getting that gig though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Its actually not a bad shout in fairness.

I think the reverse of the TT show would be a great idea for a few months though, we don't know the presenter until they walk out each friday night.

What's all the weird "bet it'll be a *woman* 🙄" shoite about?

Yes, women are adults - there are many who work in broadcasting.

And yes, Tubridy is not a charismatic presenter - but it's strange to be so over-joyed!

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭rightmove

Yep why replace him with one woman when you can replace him with 2 or 3 women like they did when they replace the buck on nationwide or the news.

And we could have every episode celebrating women (like around little womens xmas, bridgets day (feminist icon dont ya know), international womoans month and mothers day)....jez its only half way into march. lol

Huh? Who's being feminist?

There will be a position for presenter of The Late Late Show soon - being over 18 is necessary, but otherwise, I'm not seeing anything about it being open to men only.

(This thing of calling Brigid's day a holiday for women is strange... as if it's only a day off for women. Enjoy the long weekend if your job doesn't require working on public holidays/weekends. It's a saint's feast day - like tomorrow. And there's International Men's Day, and Fathers' day. Women's little Christmas is a very old tradition of a night off from the domestic chores associated with Christmas).

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭squirrel6767

He came to mind with me too. Quite smart and well polished. Would blend in with light entertainment remit. Fresher look ?

Why "not a hope"?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Do away with it. It was ok until about 1998. That being said if they are to continue with it id like to see Eoghan Mcdermott given the chance to present. After the horrible and false accusations made against him its the least he deserves. You can imagine the headlines

The comeback kid

Return of the Mac

being over 18 is necessary and being a woman or 2.

Forgot about international mens day which is now a day to talk down to men so its another international day for women. ...add it to your list

you could have the pogues on the toy show sing the fairy....tale (opps!)

• Registered Users Posts: 85,597 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Luke O'Neill might be interested 😄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

That would be SUCH a brave and progressive move

Advertisement