Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy to step down from Late Late role when season ends

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Amy Huberman has no show lined up....in all seriousness i hope not as RTE love shoehorning her into things

• Registered Users Posts: 10,740 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

And in the likely fact it is a woman you will have loads in here calling it wokism and pandering regardless if they deserve it

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Sorolla

Sad news - I’m very shook after hearing about Ryan’s imminent departure.

Ryan is a wonderful man - I remember as a young lad the excitment there was in our house of a Friday evening.

The cows were milked early - we said the rosary together and then sat down as a strong family unit and enjoyed the LLS with Ryan.

It was said back then, that the rosary and the LLS was keeping the rural community up to date on current affairs.

I think in any other country of the world Ryan would make a great President.

He is actually a brilliant journalist - second to none - and displays an intellectual dexterity seldom seen on TV or heard on radio.

I would really love to see him one day being president of Ireland.

He really did his family and the country proud during the visit of the Queen.

I remember watching the LLS one night and there was a lovely interview with Mary O'Rourke. He was a true gentleman.

With his booming baritone voice and his tall stature he would cut a dashing figure on the world stage representing this great island.

I think there is something Kennedyesque about Ryan.

We need a man of such strong character to head our state.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,274 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Thoroughly sick of this mysogynistic, transphobic crap being introduced into every single f**king topic on boards.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,224 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

A lot of people on this thread who want Ray D’arcy to be the new LLS host.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

It's in the bag already for Byrne imo. The whole thing has being choreographed to within an inch of it's life.

Claire stepping away form her Mon night TV show was part of the plan - basically to put some distance between what had become a laughing stock show and getting the LLS. RTE figure we'll have forgotten what a joke her TV show had become. The new presenter was always going to be 1) female and 2) from the NKM agency.

Would the fact that Byrne has fecked up the radio show be taken into account by RTE?...nah

Personally I think Oliver Callan would've done a good job. It would have driven the Tories around here mental :)

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Everlong1

We could go the opposite direction and get Sinéad O'Connor on. She could wear a different colour hijab every week. You wouldn't even have to have any other guests. She could spend every show reminiscing about her myriad controversies over the years. AND she'd fill the musical spots as well! Win win all round I say.

I hope the LLS continues.

It is great to see the studio audience consists of a lot of young people and they are well looked after with loads of freebies.

Tickets to the LLS always make a lovely wedding present and are highly appreciated by the young couples who get married in my parish.

RTE is one of the greatest national broadcasters in the whole of the world.

RTE nurtures young talent which matures to legend.

Examples are countless like E. Andrews, Gay Byrne, Wogan,….

RTE gives the weak and downtrodden a voice and J. Duffy is a great man for letting the simple folk of Ireland air their grievences.

RTE is home to the greatest chatshow in the history of broadcasting.

The LLS has been copied by many other broadcasters but never has been emulated.

Our national broadcasters are playing in the premiership and are worth every cent they earn.

In fact they are very badly paid if you consider that it is a 24/7 job.

I would like to start a campaign for an increase in the TV licence fee so that talent like Wogan and Andrews remain at the national station

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Denny61

Brendan o Connor is the only person i think..he can mix serious with funny . Anyone else .public will turn off in droves..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

I think…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Brendan O’Connor would be too smart and ballsy for rte

• Registered Users Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭squonk

God no. The woman has no personality and her radio show is ok when she’s doing politics but she fall’s flat on her arse when the focus switches to anything to do with culture, or, actually, anything that isn’t politics. We’re about the same age and her knowledge of cultural stuff is more in line with the average OAP. She seems incredibly boring overall. They might as well stick a fork in the LLS if shes getting the gig. It’s done.

—-

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭sxt

Doireann Garrihy has more than once been name checked by Tubridy himself. This is going back maybe 5 years. I presume she is going to to be the heir . RTE think in decades, not in the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 13,928 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

he has a gig with BBC already I hear him on Radio 5 sometimes. so probably well paid and gets to live in london, can't see why he'd want to downgrade to RTE.

i'm baffled as to who the audience is for the LL these days, even my parents can't stand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,702 ✭✭✭Xander10

Joe Duffy with all his cawlers in the audience.

Dream team

The smart and ballsy people aren't watching TV, they're too busy buying... ah right

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Sarah McInnerny would be a good shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I totally agree squonk, it's just that's not the way it works in Montroisa - Sarah McInerny should be on the 'Today with...' radio show, but she isn't.

TBH I'm baffled as to the audience is supposed to be for anything on RTE these days. Very little to appeal to anyone apart from the "stuck in a nursing home with no remote" audience. I'm in the 50-ish demographic and would rather stick forks in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,928 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

yes i have avoided it like the plague for years. even the ads on irish tv are unbearable.

I'm definitely in favour of the concept of a publicly funded broadcaster but RTE is an utter failure and has been for years. Everything they do is shít and they are so far up their mutual arseholes they all think it's fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Eh where exactly was I transphobic or indeed mysoginistic? I think you need to take a chill pill with your accusations and stop getting personal. It’s bloody obvious to all that a female will be the next LLS presenter- public opinion no less the bookies dictate that-so my post was based on that fact - so calm down dear and have a word with whatever moderator reviews my post report because reporting your post I am

G'luck with that

it’s your sex- had you announced that you were now transitioning to female, changed your name to Brenda and started to wear Alexander McQueen and Jimmy Cho, you’d probably be a “shoe-in”- pun intended- the next presenter of TLLS will definitely be female- there’s no doubt about that.

Just banter eh??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

The next presenter of TLLS will be a female- how the fck is that either transphobic or mysoginistic?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭amacca

It's exceptionally hard to think of anyone that would make a success of it tbh

Never mind someone I'd like to see presenting it

It feels like a format that's running on fumes or circling a drain at this point, it's not like they have a semi captive audience like they used to

I know it doesn't speak well of me but I felt happy Tubridy was **** off even though Id rarely tune in anyway...I wouldn't feel particularly positive about any of the proposed replacements...

It's time to put down the old nag if you ask me.

I'd tune in if someone like David mc savage was given a budget and allowed insult (subtly or otherwise) the great and good of the Irish "celebrity" carousel and whatever international celebrities the budget would cover but you know it would be a short lived albeit potentially glorious affair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,210 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You obviously don't listen to his radio show then.

He left Ballsy behind a long time ago. Now loves the mental health and trying to stop his guests anytime they say anything controversial.

Advertisement