Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy to step down from Late Late role when season ends

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I always wondered why his show was canned- my own view was because he showed up TLLS as a pathetic imitation of The Brendan O’ Connor show

I’d agree except it would put countless boardsies out of a job on a Friday night 😛

But yeah, unless you have control around the “vision” of TLLS for the 21st century which let’s face it, neither the plank nor Tubridy had, it’s just going to be a cash cow for RTÉ management propped up with adds for Renault cars and Aer Lingus

• Registered Users Posts: 85,901 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Panti Bliss another name tossed about

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭hamburgham

I think Katie Hannon would be the best female choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think Brendan o Connor would be a good host or else go for a female host

Brendan has a good sense of humour but he can also talk about serious subjects

I can't see rte getting rid of the late late show it still gets good ratings for the toy show the problem is we have a limited no of Irish celebs .most big movie stars comedians appear on the Graham Norton show why would someone like Tom cruise or Adele bother appearing on the late late show?

In the 70s ,80s the late late show was very popular and important it was the first show to discuss subjects like contraception divorce etc or other topical subjects on Irish TV

Now most people have cable TV broadband and tik tok YouTube or Netflix

The late late show is just another talk show it's not as important as it used to be

The few times I watched it Ryan tubridy he seemed like a good presenter

I think rte will keep it going I think they just need a good presenter male or female pick the best they can get that would attract a mainstream audience

I think the late late show is not an easy gig eg it only seems to be able to get Irish celebs actors as guests top A list celebs appear on American talk shows or Graham Norton it's well past its prime

Hope she’s doing ok but Mammy O’ Rourke would have been a super LLS presenter

Panti Bliss with Vincent Browne in his hey day - would be a feickin awesome duo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,013 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Ffs it'll be grim.

Doireann "staap it will ye" garrihy

Miriam " genuinely minister" o callaghan

Scare byrne

Good night.

John creedon would be a great choice. Unassuming, down to earth.

Basically not a pr1ck or a cnut. Thats why he wont get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,192 ✭✭✭✭walshb

And please, please. Don’t nobody say, ever, that only after he’s gone will he be mussed… about as much charisma as a scabby toenail

Its been done in the uk with lily savage/ paul ogrady years ago.

Rte cant pull the stroke and think they are breaking some of new ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,192 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Lottie Ryan I say!!! We want Lottie. We want Lottie…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Is that show still on the air?

Gay Byrne presented it last time I tuned in

• Registered Users Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭amacca

The Job her father got only once - always wondered what Gerry would have made of TLLS had he got his “turn” - he certainly wanted the job that Kenny got - that was back in the day when a combination of seniority and “playing the game” was valued highly by RTÉ - I wouldn’t rule Lottie out in the future but right now, I reckon it will be a Claire Byrne gig

• Registered Users Posts: 35,894 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's a role for an unknown, that's who Gay was when he got it, it's a role you make your own. They should give it to some young and talented who no one has ever seen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Patrick Kielty would be decent.

Its going to be a woman though i'd be fairly sure.

Dave Letterman has presented since - dang you missed that

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭MattressRick

No point trying to copy Graham Norton with the super craic because it's not possible to better that show, and there's no money in rte for good guests.

I wish they could go back to the style Gay Byrne once had with guests staying on and getting involved in lively chats. And have the audience ask questions too. Even someone phoning in a question! Brendan o Connor would be the best equipped for curveballs.

But they will definitely give it to a woman I think.

Probably gonna be Miriam or Claire Byrne. I think Miriam would be best suited to a new format. Doireann Garrihy hasn't earned her stripes yet at serious depressing interviews.

I think this current season of Tommy Tiernan has killed his chances. He mulls over questions for too long.

But back to my favoured pick, if I'm imagining Roy Keane sitting there I think Brendan o Connor would be the ballsiest interviewer.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 23,335 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Needs to do away with the misery bullshit.

I like the format where all the guests stay around for the show. Makes it more interesting. Don't need to bring them all on together at the start but have them hang around after interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,901 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

If a woman is getting it then maybe Lucy Kennedy or is she tied to Virgin Media

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mobby

Lay the odds it will be Female.

Have become a Fan of Drivetime in the evening and I think that  Sarah McInerney is a very good interviewer and has a good sense of humor and might suit the role, and her co-presenter Cormac Ó hEadhra would also not be a bad choice. Unlikely to happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Definitely not polished enough for rtes flagship. They'd be terrified of the liveline complaints every Monday because she's talked about her t**ts yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,847 ✭✭✭sporina

twill prob be Claire Byrne..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yes, good idea. So much to celebrate about women and being a woman ! 🙄😜

Jeez half way to March and people are bangin on about a woman vs a man. Old hairy chestnut.

. Why not both?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭squonk

Yes, great suggestions here that the guests could come on as they’re rostered but stay on like Gay used to do. A great format and also an out for the host at times as well. A political is getting bogged? Get the comedian sitting across from you to listen things up with a witty remark and get the back rolling again. That time they rang the poor woman who had lost somebody that day I think maybe and Gay asked Brendan Keneally for a few words was great and while Gay could have carried it, it turned sobering awful into simmering a bit better. I’d hate to have seen what would have happened were Tubbs in a similar position.

Really though, if, as seems very likely, Claire Byrne or Miriam O’Callaghan are going to be the best names RTE can come up with them really, fûck it! Let it die because Miriam is oversaturated at this stage and her f a ke sincerity is awful and I wouldn’t leave Claire Byrne entertaining a morgue!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭hamburgham

It will continue its downward trajectory if CB gets it. Lightweight, no real intelligence and would toe the line all the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

May the best candidate win. The show needed a major shakeup. It is very depressing and not a lot of fun. Lets hope it gets back to some form of its past glory.

Advertisement