Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs of Ireland (No More)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

If a pub licence is €250 why are they changing hands for sixty or seventy grand?

https://www.revenue.ie/en/companies-and-charities/excise-and-licences/excise-licensing/publicans-licences/index.aspx

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That's the application fee only.

You need to surrender another licence to get it.

No new licences without surrender have been created for 120 years

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,556 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 10,567 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Wonder if there will come a time when the excessive amount of chemists in small towns will start to close down as well?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If we had a lower DPS limit*; and more basic drugs available in supermarkets like the UK (ibuprofen, proton pump inhibitors, antihistamines etc) half of them would be gone already.

*Private prescriptions under the DPS limit can be charged with a much higher margin, and often were. I assume they still are. The limit has been halfed over time so that will have cut that potential margin a lot

• Advertisement

Nexium is a PPI,Omeprazole basically. Might be cheaper to get the generic in the Chemist.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,667 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Exactly. You get loads of people getting soppy about a place because it's been there since they were kids or before but there is a big difference between liking a place and using it.

Thirty pubs have closed in New Ross since the nineties apparently. New Ross is a small town,I can't believe there was ever more than ten pubs in the place. Must have literally been a pub on every corner.

https://m.independent.ie/regionals/wexford/news/30-pubs-closed-in-new-ross-since-the-1990s-in-major-shift-in-drinking-culture-42311540.html

42 pubs for 6000 people including children. It's absolute madness and I feel no remorse for the loss of these "good old days". 42 pubs with offering the exact same thing too I bet.

I feel very sorry for little villages that fear losing there only pub but that's about it.

Suspect a lot of the trade that has gone was related to the fertiliser factories and the port, not the permanent residents. Port workers numbers have been slashed with containerisation and automation, and it was a job with history heavy drinking too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,856 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The ones that closed down their local pub/shop/post office were the people who didn't use them.

Most towns and villages had ridiculous numbers of pubs in the past, they all can't have stayed open anyhow. Things change and time moves on, more will follow them as the younger set don't seem to have the same interest in supping pints and propping up bar counters like their parents and grandparents.

A lot of the local pubs don't open in the daytime now. There's a few with oul lads waiting outside first thing,the rest seem to leave it to evening.

It would explain why the density of New Ross was so high but all over the country the numbers were mad.

The other thing was 40 or whatever pubs is misleading. Overall hospitality capacity in towns might not be down because a lot of them 40 pubs were barely more than a front room.

Was the port ever that busy? One or two ships with a handful of crew hardly supported such a huge pub market.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,062 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I feel very sorry for little villages that fear losing there only pub but that's about it.

This is the thing, places could soon be left without any pub, and unfortunately that's just the reality of the way society is going.

I live in a big village/small town.

16 years ago there were seven pubs.

Now it's down to three, and one will soon close because the owners are retiring and selling it, it will end up as apartments.

Of the other two the owners of one are not a million miles off retirement.

Luckily the third one was recently aquired by a young couple, so they may have staying power, especially if they end up with a monopoly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

That is a shame.

The picture painted throughout this thread seems to tell a similar story unfortunatley.

For rural Pubs at least.

I suppose the obvious new concern is that if the Pub license is to be extinguished then the value of a license will drop through the floor.

This would likley lead to more Pub owners selling up before the extinguishment occurs so they can cash in on the value of a license that would be worth zip in a year or two time.

I dont see any other outcome other than rural pubs in particular selling up asap unless they are turning a solid profit and in it for the long game.

Who would be stupid enough to buy the license a year before extinguishment ?

One thing the new license system could accommodate is community run pubs. That's the route some places in England have had to go as well as getting the pub listed to save it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Supermarkets will still by licences if they are ready to open.

Listing a pub won't save it.

Yes community pubs might be an outcome, maybe add a bar to community centres in rural areas etc. then open weekends with volunteer staff.

In England (may not work the same here) they get the pub listed so that it can't become flats or a Tesco Express. Buys them time to get organized purchase the pub as a community the pub and install a manager to run it non profit.

So listing over there is a big part of it.

There are already plenty of places relying on the GAA or similar to run a part time pub like you mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

More like 100 years, but still 'insane' as you say.

I think a new hotel will be granted a licence without having to surrender an existing one?

Maybe someone more knowledgeable can confirm?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Beloved Midlands Bar Forced To Close - Midlands 103

Another bites the dust in Tullamore.....

1902 licencing act, so 121 years this year

A hotel can get a residents bar licence without surrender. They could also get around the old distance rules (you couldn't open a new pub a certain distance from an existing one without the owners consent, basically) before they were scrapped; which is why there were a lot of small (I think 8 bed was the minimum limit for a time, then 15) hotels built in suburban Dublin in the 50s-80s, most are gone now and some others have just become normal pubs.

You used to have to transfer in multiple licences - 2 or 4 - if taking them in from outside the area the pub was going in to; which mean that licences in high demand areas became insanely dear. The dearest ever was that from The Crane on Crane Lane, bought to transfer to The Quays in Temple Bar; hundreds of thousands.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

What happened was publicans and breweries gouging the crap out of people.

It'll get to 50 euro for five pints on a night out soon. Thing is some people will still pay it.

The nucleus of all of this is poncy craft beer hipster wankers willing to pay 7 or 8 euro for their slop. Inevitably breweries/publicans put up the prices of other beers and drinks too. In town the average price of a pint of Guinness is now around 6 euro, which is bloody criminal. A Heineken will cost close to 7 in a lot of places. A fucking Heineken! And it won't stop there.

The problem with all of this is that when the prices of the pint go up, they stay up. It never comes back down no matter what happens.

Now, I like a drink and I like getting out of the house. But if boozers keep going the way they are, then fuck em, let them die. Eventually there'll be some cop on and the prices might start to come down then.

Wetherspoons has the right idea, even if the owner is an absolute twat. However, they're always soulless places with absolutely no atmosphere, and they don't sell Guinness. Beamish just doesn't do it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Hungry Burger

We used to have 5 in our village, last one is being demolished to build flats.

I'd say it has less to do with "habit" and more to do with cost. The price of a humble pint is shocking these days and the price increases that it's subject too is even more so.

Put it this way, if the average pint cost 2.50, there would be a LOT more young people in pubs drinking more regularly.

Plenty of 6 quid pint pubs have never sold a pint of craft in their existence.

Your ire needs to be at the publicans and the big 3 breweries (Diageo, Heineken, C&C for this market), not those who drink something you don't like.

There is. But it's still a thing. If people are willing to spend 8 euro on a pint of Wizard's Piss in some hipster wank bar, then they'll have no problem spending 6 or more on something else somewhere normal.

Your ire needs to be at the publicans and the big 3 breweries (Diageo, Heineken, C&C for this market), not those who drink something you don't like.

That's why I said

publicans and breweries.

That person spending €8 there almost certainly doesn't drink Heineken or Guinness elsewhere. They are not responsible in any way, shape or form for the macro breweries and macro pubs putting their prices up.

How much for a bag of those chips on your shoulder?

• Advertisement

That person spending €8 there almost certainly doesn't drink Heineken or Guinness elsewhere.

You don't that.

How much for a bag of those chips on your shoulder?

LOL

Have I upset you.

Advertisement