Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs of Ireland (No More)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's rare that a pub will make money off of tourists only, though, and everyone has their price point. If pubs cannot get a regular bunch in throughout the year, then that pub is going down eventually.

Speaking of tourists and pubs, I see that the price of a pint in the Temple bar has reached an obscene €9.95. 😲

You'd want to be out of your mind to pay that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,525 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I don't get out much myself my last pint was Stephens day but I'm heading west the weekend on a stag & can't wait to just park myself in proper Irish pub for 2 days ,

As you say the magic is still there its just the current price of living leaves little left over for drinking & then when you do get out your paying through the neck ,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Why? It is what it is and the price is very much advertised. It's no different than drinking in the tourist traps in London or Paris or Copenhagen.

If you can think of any other places that would be packed with live music at 1.30pm on a Tuesday, fire them up, I've always got people looking for recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Anyone questioning the price of a pint in a pub should try run a pub. The costs are feckin phenomenal nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah buy this is more of it. Tourists will go the existing pubs. Fewer pubs mean tourists will be corralled into those pubs in exactly the same way they are now.

I didn't bring up tourists. Some posters said they were important to the discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Maybe Mick Wallace can help us......after all he runs 3 wine bars in Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Duty itself hasn't gone up vat used be 21% now it's 23%

And Vat gets charged on the duty too.

If the government abolished duty a €5 pint would be about €4.30 and a few more moves from the government would bring a Guinness to about €4 in a lot of places.

Our drink prices would then be in the same league as places like Spain and create a stronger hospitality sector especially in rural areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Butson

That makes sense, which means it will never happen.

The anti alcohol lobby are just too strong now. Alcohol in all forms = bad, so let's just tax the living daylights out of it. No politician is going to go against that tide.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

EarthCam - Dublin Cam

This is inside The Temple Bar right now, 12.20 and the place is rammed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

Is anyone not visiting Ireland because a pint is 5 euro instead of 4 or whatever?

Pubs are expensive but a bigger point to my mind is that Irish life has just moved away from the pub. Not saying they should all close but we have far more options which means we don't need as many small towns with 5 pubs or whatever. Unfortunately that means some will close.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Butson

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

It seems that there is some kind of mental gymnastics going on when talking about drink; there's the young people are crazy and drinking too much, and then shur let the auld fellas drive around the country while half cut and too many outlets serving alcohol are closing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭GavPJ

As much as I'd love to be in a pub having a few pints with a bit of live music

with friends having the craic, there is no way I would pay Temple Bar prices.

So many other pubs not too far from there that are not near Temple Bars

prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

There is no excuse for rip off prices, they should be forced to advertise the price if its over €7 for a pint. Rip off prices just leads to people staying at home more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Every pub is legally required to have a price list on display at the entrance.

Have you ever tried to run a pub before? Maybe in Dublin where the costs are higher?

Before you even buy the pint wholesale from Guinness etc. you need the following (and I'm sure I'm leaving loads of stuff out):

Public Liability Insurance

Employee Liability Insurance

Council Rates

Heating costs

Lighting costs

Fixtures and fittings

Maintenance costs

Furniture

Glasses etc.

Cleaning supplies (domestos, mr. sheen, stuff for your glass washers etc.

Emergency lighting and associated costs - statutory inspection and maintenance

Fire detection system and associated costs - statutory inspection and maintenance

Staff health and safety training including such things as manual handling etc.

Intruder alarm

Security costs (if needed)

TV licence

Sky TV pub subscription if showing matches

IMRO royalties if playing music

There's a load of other costs too that I haven't spent enough time thinking about because I'm hungry and going to get my dinner now.

And then there's the old "If you don't want to pay €7 for a pint then go somewhere else, nobody's forcing ya".

Exactly. Life has moved away from reliance on pubs. The pandemic changing behaviour and getting people out of the habit of going to the pub. Plus the price. Plus dating moving online. Plus inflation putting pressure on disposable income.

Whatever the reason, the market for pints is smaller than is was. Pubs will never die out, but lots of pubs will need to go to find a balance of supply and demand. There will always be a market. I suspect it will move towards a high end market as the only ones who can afford to have a night in the pub will be fairly well-off people. I'd have Jo interest in pubs where you need to get dressed up to go for a drink. But I spend almost no time in the pub since 2020 so I won't have much of an influence on how the market goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭jackboy

What was the traditional Irish pub is dying and will die. Drink is not enough for these establishments to be viable, they are even struggling in cities. Many are surviving because they do food and also operate as cafes during the day.

Some family owned are hanging on because the premises is owned and the family are the staff, easy for these to open/close as suits. They will be done eventually also though.

• Advertisement

Well its a pity that the pub managers dont get the finger out and put up this display

No as I can't afford to buy a pub like most people. Yes I'm well aware of the cost of doing business in Ireland. And if pubs start charging €10 a pint I suppose we are not allowed to complain? Your last paragraph sounds a bit like pay a high price for my product or feck off.. if that's the attitude of some pubs then they deserve to go out of business

Maybe. But what can you do? Its just too expensive. Housing creeps up a few percentage of the average households income every year. If a young person had any hope of having the privilage of a family AND owning a house, they can't spend much time in pubs. Those with old mortgages are probably OK and those on high wages are OK. But anyone under 35 who has any ambition to have a home and a family is probably not the target market for pubs anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

There's another method of doing business. Lowering your price and going for volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭jackboy

The volume is never going to work in modern Ireland. The real boom time for pubs are long gone from when a large proportion of Irish males spent the bulk of their disposable income on regular binges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭PommieBast

From my perspective having an 18+ month lockdown has meant that there is now a generation of young ones who could afford to go to watering holes, but won't because it was never an option to them.

I wouldn't buy a pub even if I could afford it. Not worth the hassle and I used to work as a bar manager for a good number of years. Got out of the trade 20 years ago. City pubs or large town pubs have a chance if they are in a good location but the rural pubs and small town pubs are fcuked.

My point in the last paragraph was more along the lines of that they have to charge a high price for the product to cover the costs of doing business.

They could do that or they could work on making their own pub a more enjoyable experience

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Santan

Was a manager in a bar in 2005, our annual insurance was around 20k, was around that from 2000 to 2009 the owner told me the other day, the past number of years he now pays around 110k, they have had to go down the lower price higher volume path, which means in his words, a hell of a lot more scum being attracted to the place and having to let them in as there is just not enough decent people out Sunday to Thursday. What really annoys him is the lack of action from the vintners ass, or government to help regulte the insurance, for example in in Spain, and my insurance is high as its a large bar, I pay less than 2k per year, something seriously not right with this in Ireland.

• Advertisement

That's a big issue across the board in Ireland. Gigs in Ireland apparently suffer from high insurance costs too, which makes ureland uncompetitive. Compo culture is real. Its in the culture and it would take a big shift to get away from it.

For example, lots of jobs rely on compo culture in the legal profession, expert witnesses, and lots of jobs in the insurance industry. Those people would lobby against curbing compo culture. Its more difficult than just having a good idea and implementing it.

I would support tackling compo culture, and I think it would have a positive impact on lots of industries including pubs. But it wouldn't be simple.

Advertisement