Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭jkforde

I personally love the hot water diverter esp. when the oil boiler is off for 7-8mths. looks decent quote, just make sure you trust them and they're going to be available for snags, after commission clarifications!

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Not sure on the Eddi to be honest in our particular case.

We don't typically use that much hot water as our Showers are all electric and changing them to pumped would negate the benefits of the Eddi I think.

We very rarely turn on the immersion as it is so don't think it's worth it for me.

I'm also not sure about a battery now that excess generation can be sold.

Would I really save €3.5k in additional electricity charges over the next 10 years say compared to whatever I might get paid for the excess generation?

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

Any opinions on this quote? Seems high to me, especially looking at some of the quotes on here, but I don't know much about it. The Eddi was quoted at 1379 but they agreed to throw it in for free. This is excluding the grant. Apparently it's upgradeable to a battery but I see that's not such a big deal any more. I plan to get another quote elsewhere.

Install 10 No. 410W Jinko Solar Panels (4.10 kWp) 7,039

Sofar 4000 inverter 4,069

Solar Eddi Diverter nil

BER assessment 389

Supply and fit 2 panels in landscape layout 158

TAX 13.5% 1,391.04

TOTAL 11,695

If it helps, my annual usage last year was about 5000 Kwh. Re the Eddi, I have one electric shower but also two pumped showers from the hot water tank.

@p15574 - that's expensive, plain as that. each panel is 700?

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

Just to give you an idea of the markup they are charging; an Eddi costs 499 including VAT; and it’s a 30 minute job to screw it to the wall and terminate the cable.

The Sofar 4000 hybrid costs about 1300 also including vat.

jinko 415 n type panels are about 200 each including the vat. Dunno if your getting quoted for a n-type or not.

mounting - cables - switches - misc say 1000 euro.

ballpark 4800 for the gear. I think you can do much better

• Advertisement

120 is the number of days you can fully charge from off peak / discharge during the in peak daytime.

41 is peak rate cent per kwh

13 is off peak cent per kwh

10 is the capacity of the battery in kWH

this gives 3480 over 10 years, and that’s only taking the charging at night in the winter use case into account.

Post edited by HotSwap on

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

As an American general once said in response to a German demand to surrender, NUTS!

You can do much better looking elsewhere.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭footfall789

Hi ,

I have installed Solar Panels.

I have asked the installer for copies of Warranties /Guarantees for Solar Panels , batteries and Inverter.

They have not forwarded these to me as they say they have them on file and no need

to send onto me .

I am just concerned that if the installer goes bust and i get an issue down the line

Am I correct is asking for a copy of these Warranties /Guarantees .

Regards,

footfall789

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Thanks - Not sure I fully understand the calculation you have but if I'm reading it right what I'd have it the following.

120 days of charging off-peak and discharging peak , the battery offered above is a 5 kw/h battery so that would mean using your pricing a net difference of 28c (41-13) which is €1.40 per day in savings which is €1680 over 10 years - ((€1.40 * 120)*10).

Given that Electric Ireland for example are offering 21c per unit for excess generation there's limited additional value in charging the battery from Solar excess rather than off-peak.

So on that basis at current prices it's more like a 20 year ROI for a 5KW/h battery.

Totally understand that there are a lot more days that I could charge the battery overnight and use during the peak evening times when I wouldn't be generating Solar energy.

Even allowing for fully using the battery every day of the year leveraging off peak charging , it's still ~7 years ROI for a 5Kw/h battery and that's assuming that the day/night rate differential is as above.

Currently I have a Day/Night meter and my rates are 42c Day and 21c night so a far smaller difference.

Borrowing an additional €3500 would cost me another ~€600 in interest (at 6%) over 5 years so that pushes the ROI still further.

So while I'd eventually save money I don't think the ROI makes sense for me right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tenebrous

Absolutely, If you get a gas boiler installed or a service of your electrical panel they give you their certs usually if not the equipment warranty info. I would imagine this is the same unless they don't have them anymore, I thank you for reminding me as this is something I think I will ask for when the installation is being done for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

It's nice to see that people actually do the math. Respect.

Couple of things to note that you haven't included in your thinking. Right now (and probably for the next 12 months or so) you on a D/N meter will get "deemed export" irrespective of if you export 1Kwhr or 1000Kwhr you will get the same thing.....meaning that you might as well fill your battery with solar excess RATHER than export it as you will paid for the export irrespective. Effectively you get paid twice for the same unit. Long may this last! :-)

(I wouldn't bank on it, but it's worth mentioning anyway)

Price per Kwhr is better with a larger battery. Additional inverter cost from "normal" to "hybrid" is the same if you get a 2.5Kwhr batter or 10Kwhr battery, so assuming you can "cycle" the battery everyday, your payback with a larger battery will be quicker.

While I would generally recommend getting a battery (even if the payback is iffy)......I also wouldn't borrow for a battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭creedp

I've finally got around to looking at installing solar and have found this thread very useful. I used over 11,000 kw last year as I have a GSHP and EV. An installer was looking at a neighbours house so I called him over to have a look at my set up. At the time I hadnt read up on the topic so I let him give me his view on what might suit. He said I could easily get a 6kwp set up and recommended that I get a 4.8kwh battery. He suggested I not get an eddie diverter as I have a heat pump.

I asked him to give me a written quote and I've just got it today but its for a 4.2kwp system with Tiger Neo N-Type panels (400 -420 watt), an unspecified Dyness battery (which I assume is a 5 kwh) and a SOFAR SOLAR inverter (which I assume is a 5kw). Price is just over €9,600 net. Seems reasonable enough but i have asked for a detailed breakdown of quote to assess further.

I have a couple of quick questions in the meantime. I am installing the inverter and batteries in the house attic but i already have a myenergie ev charger located in a separate garage. I didn't install an eddie when installing the charger as I had no solar at the time. Is it now worthwhile installing an eddie to allow the charger soak up excess solar during the day? Will it be a problem that the EV charger is located in a different building to the inverter as I understand an ethernet connection is required between the eddie and the charger. Currently there is no ethernet connection in the garage. Also the charger is not connected directly to the main distribution board but instead is connected to a sub board located in the garage (which is linked to the main board by a 6mm sq cable). I dont know if this makes any difference as electricity is a complete mystery to me!!

Ill come back as soon as I get more details of quote. Cheers

You also have to take into account in summer the units that you wouldn’t have exported during the day; and instead stored for later use (a lot of time you get great sun for an hour or two; then the clouds come out and you can run off the battery; then the sun comes back and you can run the house and fill the battery again) In the summer months with a 10kWh battery and your level of usage (about 13-15kwh per day) there is no reason why you couldn’t be totally off grid March - Sept.

but this is a more complicated calculation; but I’d say with only 5kWh battery you would struggle to make it work. I have 10kWh and may add an additional module to give me 15kwh once I’ve seen a full year of data. But I can only fill my battery at 5kWh; which means it already takes 2 full hours to fill the 10kWh that I already have, adding another 5kWh would mean I’d not be getting the cheapest rate to fully fill it which is a shame. Most battery’s charge from the grid slower than this; so it’s worth asking what this rate is for the battery they are supplying. Also ask about expansion in the future; is it possible / easy.

you also can’t be sure about the 21 cent feed in rates; this is sure to change over time too. My perspective on a battery is really that you are giving yourself the greatest level of control and autonomy over the energy providers.

so you're using the MyEnergi Zappi as a dumb charger at the moment?

my advice would be to check with this potential installer that they have recent MyEnergi installation experience (latest Eddi has a built-in wifi\ethernet, no separate Hub<>router connectivity) and if they do, to get them to explain to your 100% piece of mind that you know how the system works. but not sure how you'd link up the existing Zappi if out in a separate (I presume) brick garage, maube a strong wifi mesh?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭TOMs WIFE

Got a quote (prior to survey) from a company linked to Electric Ireland (i.e. I clicked on an "I'm interested in Solar etc." ad.

They rang me recently - :

7 panels with hot water - 7600 minus 1980 grant = €5,632

OR

7 panels with 5kw battery €14300 minus 1980 grant = €12320

Not interested in any battery at that cost, and have a small house. Appreciate view please. Thanks.

Just to give you an idea; I have the price list from this supplier from June 2021 and the same setup cost 5900 - 1800 grant = 4100 cost to you.

so it’s gone up 1500 in the space of 18 months with this installer.

back in June 2021 from the same supplier for 5400 you could of got a 14 panel system. Or for 6000 you could have got 14 panels with the eddi. These prices include the grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭crisco10

Think you can do better to be honest. All going to plan, I'll be getting 12 panels with 5kW battery installed this month, for about 9.5k after grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wobs

Hi,

Just starting to look at solar and would appreciate any thoughts on the following.

16 x 400w Recom Panels

Solis 6kg 4g inverter

Big long list of all the other bits required, cables, mounts etc.

€11,157

Not recommending a Battery or Eddi as we have a GSHP and will have an EV which will be able to charge during the day.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭micks_address

Is that figure including the seai grant?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wobs

That is before the grant so it would be €8757 after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 __Alex

Good afternoon,

I recently installed a Zappi Charger and Harvi sensor for my EV, and I'm now looking at solar panels.

I got the following quote from the company who installed the Zappi.

Do you think I should go for it?

Thanks!

----

Pack 1:

•  10 x 400w panels 

•  Hybrid inverter 

•  5kwh battery storage 

•  My Energi hot water diverter  

•  Roof mounting equipment 

•  All labour works

•  All electrical testing and commissioning 

•  Online monitoring to see each day exactly what your system is producing

The total cost of the above system will equate to €13,500.

Pack 2:

•  10 x 400w panels  

•  PV inverter 

•  My Energi hot water diverter  

•  Roof mounting equipment 

•  All labour works

•  All electrical testing and commissioning 

•  Online monitoring to see each day exactly what your system is producing

The total cost of the above system will equate to €9,500.

The two systems will qualify for a €2,400 SEAI Grant.

Please note that this system and quote is pending a site survey.

If you wish I can book you in for a site survey. Please note that there is a €150 charge for a Solar Panel Survey - this €150 is redeemable off of the price of the system that you go for. 

----

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭con747

Try haggle a bit, it's not a bad quote though. Near enough to the guidelines.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭olympicweights

• Registered Users Posts: 12 __Alex

Thanks, that helps!

Also, they didn't say which model/brand of solar panels / batteries they will install. They said "The panels themselves vary as to what is in stock at the time", which worries me a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭olympicweights

A lot of installers will arrive with a different size panel due to availability. My own install was quoted as 345w panels but they had 395w panels when they arrived so they just recalculated the number required to my advantage.

Highly unprofessional. The likes of these wouldn’t be getting anywhere near my house. How can a consumer make an informed purchasing decision if you’re not even aware of the specifics of the equipment that’s gonna be installed. Different panels have different sizes / warranties / degradation characteristics / etc…

are the installers even designing / modelling these systems based on customer need / usage / available space; sounds like they are just making it up as they arrive on site; really they should not be getting the grant if they are not properly designing the systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭DC999

Mine rocked up with lower output panels. So do check and take a photo of the details on the back of them (make, model, output...). They said it was all they got but weren't going to mention until I caught it. Then they added panels at no cost to get to same overall output.

Totally unacceptable. If they are SEAI registered I would advise you inform the SEAI of this potentially fraudulent behaviour to protect other potential customers that are not as clued in as you were.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭con747

Just try to remember there is a major supply issue at the moment so a lot of installers are waiting on shipments to arrive either from a wholesaler here or further afield like the UK and China so are limited to what's available in some cases. It's not ideal but once you get the same sized system you paid a deposit for that's what counts at the end of the day for me. Others would have a different view though.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭micks_address

Mine also arrived with lower output panels but to be fair they told me up front and I ended up with .5kwp extra due to the way the numbers fell

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement