Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭jkforde

good for you, just beware of 'surplus anxiety', the hyper-awareness of surplus\battery SOH and the tangible hesitation to use ANY day rate kws!

welcome aboard! 🎄🌞❄️🥳🍻

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

I think everyone that gets panels (even if they can’t afford it at the time) will eventually reach a point where they want a battery; then they will be in a position where they can add an AC coupled battery (with its own inverter - which would likely push them above the 6kW limit - and now your into complicated applications with fees attached) and the need to engage the services of an electrician as you would need a new circuit AC circuit.

I think for the relatively small additional cost of upgrading to a hybrid at initial install time gives a lot of options down the road. It’s just a DC cable and a comms wire to add a battery if you’ve allocated space on the wall to mount it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Not entirely. What I'm saying is that I'd encourage you to do the sums and get a battery now......or not.....as the case maybe. Rather than spending money to "keep your options open" - which you may never use and in effect waste €700. There are other options too with respect to battery storage, you could go for a sperate ME3000 for example (basically a stand alone battery, which is independent of your solar install) So you could buy a non-hybrid inverter and then keep that and buy a seperate battery system.

The scenario your trying to avoid though is deciding that you don't need/want a battery and wasting the money. Personally I think everyone should have storage, but that's just me.

So, the best move is to try and make a decision if you want a battery or not from the get go.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Savetheplanet

Well to me it makes more sense to have the hybrid inverter installed if you can afford it at the initial install and then if/when you want a battery it is ready to go. Who knows what will happen in the future with FIT and electricity prices which will only go 1 way. I'm not going to derail the thread though so will leave it there. Everyone will have a different way of looking at it at the end of the day.

Need to be careful with this as if the combination of your solar PV inverter combined with your battery inverter puts you above 6kwh you’re outside the realm of an NC6 form. It’s clearly a point not everyone will agree on; so prob best to leave it at that as the other poster said.

• Advertisement

Why would you be exporting your battery as well as exporting your solar? Nahh, perfectly fine on a NC6 form.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

HotSwap is correct. The NC6 requires you to list all microgenerators at the site. As to how many people with AC storage fill in the NC6 correctly is another matter. 🙂

That’s just how it is. You add up your inverter capacity and if it’s above 6kw on a single phase supply you outside the scope of an N6. You are into the NC7 pilot; which has an application fee of about 950 euro. I’ve done it for a commercial install on the first 200 NC7’s and it was obvious it was the ESB’s first time running the process; but we got there in the end. NC7 pilot also entitles you to a guarantee flat rate 13.5 cent feed in tariff for 20 years this bit has not been fully fleshed out yet, so I dunno how / when it’s going to work / start.

I suspect there are a lot of installs out there that aren’t fully compliant with the ESB networks processes.

if you wanted to stay on an NC6 you could upgrade to three phase and then do an NC6 up to 11Kw. But that could be a 3-4k project project on its own if it’s even possible in your location. More likely to be possible if your rural.

Yeah, I "get" the technical aspects what you are saying about adding up the inverters and being more than 6kw, which is the limit of the NC6 form, and that you would in theory be non-compliant. As you say many would be technically non-compliant, including myself - but I'd never physically be capable of exporting more than 6Kw, irrespective of panels (due to the E/W split i have).

My point was regarding getting a hybrid at install time even if you’re not getting a battery at that time. Adding an AC coupled battery with its own inverter later will make it very difficult if not impossible to stay fully compliant with ESB network regulations. As most people will want to be above board with their install.

• Advertisement

Yeah, get that Hotswap and it makes sense to be compliant. Still I stand by the advice to people coming here to the forums to make up your mind about a battery and not spent €700+ just to keep your options open. Your either going to know that your getting a battery or not. If you know your going to get one and haven't the money at install time, sure....makes sense to get a hybrid, but it's illogical to spend money if you can't or haven't done the math if it's correct for you.

Personally even with FIT I think every house should have a 5Kwhr battery if not more, but totally can appreciate that it's not a binary (right/wrong) decision. Least that would be IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭adriant900

Starting out 2023 now, what is the rule of thumb of cost of solar panels per kw, battery per kwh, inverter, diverter?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

Can only fit 3.8-4.2kW ish system due to space constraints on the worthwhile roof orientations. Currently rural 24hr meter and contemplating whether to ask for day/night meter which may only last a few months prior to a smart meter rollout. Getting A2W system fitted in a couple of months and considering EV as 2nd household car. That age old question. Battery or no? and what’s the current pricing on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭jkforde

read recent comments above, they make no sense economically but being able to power the house baseload+ using night rate +/- surplus is great imho (esp. if on DN meter and not smart metering)

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭The devils

Happy New Year guys.

Like most people here busy lives etc..so apologies for not been involved as much as I should have.

I never got the chance to thank all who helped me out on boards in choosing the correct installation, size and other bits and pieces..it was invaluable TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭con747

Wait until March onwards when you see the rewards!

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Got confirmation that our install (by a certain crowd in Enniskillen) is going ahead tomorrow as scheduled back in August. No messing about at all. I half expected it to be pushed but they said they’d be here on the 4th and they will. Will be interesting to see how many panels we can get on. Quoted for 17 but we may not get that many in (or may get more). This forum has been a great help so thanks all!

Great guys and nice install 👍 you'll be v happy

• Registered Users Posts: 40 IrishHusk

They did my install back in November. Install crew are good and efficient but the communication post install has been very poor. From trying to get a picture of panel specs for BER assessor to getting an update on when I will get a battery has proven to be next to impossible. Since install I am seeing intermittent nuisance RCD tripping in the mornings which they have not contacted me about yet. Luckily I have still only paid them the deposit.

Have you looked onto the seai website, all my pics of install where on that site..however it take some time

Sorry to hear that about tipping issues ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,545 ✭✭✭micks_address

Company I used took a while to get grant paperwork in order and the ber assessment company they use gave me an appointment start of Feb so my grant will be at least another 1.5 months away

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tenebrous

Hi all, was looking to get solar with on of the one stop shops. The quote I received seems way too high to me.

6.0 kWp with only PV: e13,500

4.0 kWp PV with 4.8 battery e17,175

4.0 kWp only PV e11,500

All prices do not include the e2,400 grant deduction. My guess is the battery of 4.8kW is e5,675 based on my sums.

The quote was for PV and battery here only, did price other areas but they added on some extra admin prices that pushed my belief they are over costing me. Personal preference would be solar PVT if possible or use a water diverter if nobody provides PVT panels yet. PVT being water cooled panels for efficiency which adds some heated water to the home as byproduct. Going to contact a company in Cork tomorrow to see if I can get a quote for their panels.

Looking to get an EV in the next few months or a year if work holds and may need to replace gas boiler as it's on the fritz hence trying to get a battery. The quote was just their canned response and didn't want to give details of panel types, diverter info, upselling to larger strings, or car charger. My guess is they will outsource to another company for the install.

Would appreciate any advice/recommendations, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭con747

All those prices are way over the top. Look at the installers page https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058243236/solar-pv-boards-members-installer-information#latest One stop shop quotes are always the most expensive. There is little or no difference in the quality or performance of panels and inverters once it's a well known brand.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,545 ✭✭✭micks_address

Batteries have got expensive.. 9.5kwh givenergy I was quoted 4.5k plus vat last week.. for context I got 7kwp plus 9.5kwh battery installed for 11.5k after grant in November..

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭PCDub

Have been using a small DIY system to power tv and other low power electronics. Also using it to charge a solar generator.

Decided to start looking at getting a proper roof system installed and have got 2 quotes so far. Prices seem very high and not sure its possible to get very much cheaper in 2023.

1st quote

2.4kw 6 panels

5kw huawei inverter

Eddi

No battery

7800e before grant.

2nd quote

2.4kw 6 panels

6kw solis inverter

No battery or diverter

6850e before grant

I can buy a similar kit and install myself but I've heard it's difficult to impossible to get a reci to do final connection and sign off.

All advise recommendations welcome.

You can me to that's please 🙂 Enniskillen lads

The only thing you need is an electrician to sign your NC6 form to confirm that your inverted will be configured correctly for the Irish grid (this didn’t used to be the case, but it changed in the latest version). They don’t have to have to be registered with SEAI so any qualified electrician will do

And then you need an electrician to add a new circuit to your consumer unit for the inverter and give you a very if you want to stay fully compliant.

If you do this you will be registered and eligible for fees in tariffs; however you won’t get a grant as you need someone who is both a qualified electrician / has done 2 training courses and is registered with SEAI to do the install and submit the paperwork to SEAI.

I did a DIY job; if you want some other advice on this route maybe we can DM or chat in some other thread. Those quotes are very high. I found any quotes that I got from those one stop shops are at least 20-30 % higher than getting the job done directly with a contractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Orebro

Whats the difference between a one stop shop and a contractor? Aren't all solar providers one stop shops?

One stop shops are providing multiple retrofit services such as insulation, windows / doors, solar, heat pumps and packaging them all together and project managing the whole thing. Some additional grants are available if taking this route; but they very quickly get eaten up.

when I say contractor I just mean an individual company offering a specific service such as solar / insulation / etc… that you would approach directly as a customer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Got this quote today.

Based on the thread , looks like it's pretty reasonable.

System size: 6KW - PV Panels – Leapton 400w by 15 - All black Panels.

Panel Mounting – Renusol

Inverter - Solis single phase 5G inverter.

Total cost: €9,800 including VAT.

SEAI Grant - €2,400

Price after grant - €7,400

Optional Hot water – €700 for Eddi Divertor

Optional Battery – Add €3,500 for 5.1 CFE

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement