Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exploitation and young workers

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

Great, parenting and keeping eyes out for your kids doesn't end at 18, I look back at myself and I was immature into my 20s , and had a lot to learn about the world.

You are helping him understand how to deal with shady people, hopefully he will have a new job soon which will boost his confidence no end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I am sorry. I misread your post that you were doing all of the stuff i.e. you were ringing the WRC etc. I think you are doing what is right: advising him, but he needs to action this himself.

Btw, also for what it is worth, I think the employers (the OWNERS) are doing a sh1tty thing. Pay your staff fairly for the work they are doing.

I think he should line himself up with another job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

think this is just standard now as to how workers are treated! I used to work in retail and after doing a shift, we had to clock out before cleaning up the shop which could take up to 4 hours a night around Christmas. It's a stepping stone and gets you a reference for the next job, if you start complaining, you wont get a reference and you'll have difficulty getting another job or else be 'let go' with no real explanation. Its awful but just seems to be how most workers are treated now as union members are mostly in it for the money and do the bare minimum to actually support workers rights, they make a bit of noise every now and then so it looks like theyre doing a job but dont actually do anything proactive. That plus so many young - middle aged people are kind of forced to work in less than desirable circumstances just to get from A to B. Its awful but its the way of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭markpb

Every shop and cafe in Dublin (and probably elsewhere) is crying out for staff at the minute. The only reason employers get away with it is because most staff affected are young, don’t know any better and don’t want to rock the boat. In reality, they could walk out and into another job in a minute - no-one is looking for a reference for a general retail job.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭sura28

The best for him would be to leave and bring a claim to the WRC.

tell him to keep notes of his hours worked every day and also copy of any emails about after hours meetings, etc.

Other thing is that his pay is probably under the minimum wage for the hours actually worked so if that’s the case he should include this in his complaint to the WRC. He has 6 months to raise the claim after the last incident so make sure he lodges the claim within this timeframe.

Tell him to check his contract to see the hours of work and hourly rate. To keep his payslips and all the notes and documents he can gather to present as proof.

Hopefully he’ll be able to find a better job soon.

He can contact the Citizens advice center for further advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Alonzo Mosley

100% .... If my son was getting screwed I certainly wouldn't stand idly by and tell him to fight his own battles.

Advertisement