Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DF Commission Report

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Our Antipodean cousins do it all the time. Aus got Seasprites, NZ got them too. AUS got Mekos, NZ got MEKOs. Aus got the Austeyr, Kiwis got Austeyr (but soon got rid of it). AUS got ASLAV, NZ got NZLAV.

It made sense for interoperability.

When AUS got rid of their troublesome Seasprites, NZ said, "We'll take them, remove the troublesome bits, and rebuild them to the same standard as what we already use.".

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

A) We don't interoperate with Britain in any fashion like NZ does with Aus. Apart from them being our Air Force of course.

B) We should indeed be bulking in with other Countries, but thats a future development on the PESCO model. Its feasible to cooperate with single or multiple EU partners, but not Britain. For many practical and political reasons.

And I wouldn't hold your breath about them being back in the Customs Union anytime soon. Apart from there being no good reason why the EU should allow that without significant concessions, its a policy of neither the current GB Govt nor His Majesty's loyal opposition, aka the alternative government.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭roadmaster

So do we think Mr Martin will bring any drive to the Commissions report?

Time will tell.

He is however the man responsible for the workplace smoking ban, something everyone thought was impossible, while health minister.

He's at it a long time, I have to say he's possibly the most experienced minister Defence has ever had, Having previously been Minister for:

• Education & Science (1997-2000)
    • Health & Children (2000-2004)
    • Enterprise, Trade & Employment (2004-2008)
    • Foreign Affairs (2008-2011)
    • and of course Taoiseach since 2020.

He's well used to the waffle that comes from Departmental Sec Gens, and can read between the lines. The only danger is his post in Foreign affairs will keep him as busy as his predecessor.

The other main difference between him and any other previous holder of the post was his father was a member of the Defence forces.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Time will tell but I’m not expecting much from him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭sparky42

Certainly it will be the results by the end of the government that will decide whether he has been a good minister, however the other item that might have an influence is his time at the EUCO meetings since the war began, perhaps some “difficult” questions might have been raised on our limitations that might influence his engagement on Defence.

He more than likely well step down in 18 months to allow a new FF leader in for the next election so hopefully in the 18 months he will do his best to get the commissions suggestions done

Not a chance.

18 months from now we'll only just have completed the talks about talks, the planning of the plan.

And now is the time when the Northern Ireland question really gets into serious dealings. And thats on top of Ukraine.

Yes, our UNSC term is over, but still, If I were to estimate the demands on his time over the next two years, I'd say 80% Foreign Affairs, 20% Defence, or less.

The most important thing he can do is to keep the wick turned up under the DoD to get the enabling structures in place, put the change agents and new Command structure into legislation. That may very much depend on who is named as Minister of State for Defence. If its given to Hildegarde Naughton, in the same way as it was to Jack Chambers, then as Chief Whip too, she won't have the requisite time for it.

I hope Varadkar and Martin have the sense to appoint a good MoS, with no other duties but Defence.

A come on Larbre some Postive taughts!

Was there a Jnr Minister last time around?

Jack Chambers.

He was Govt Chief Whip and Minister of State at the Depts of Fun, the Taoiseach and Defence. So there might as well not have been.

I'll express some positive 'thoughts' when I see a reason to do so.

• Advertisement

There was. Jack Chambers.

He only realised it a few weeks ago though.

Ah jesus lads i like jack he gave my local club some funding not so long ago.

Thats mad i didnt cop he was jnr defence minister as well, i would have asked him a few questions

Jack was very vocal in his support for the DF while in opposition. Unfortunately as soon as he was given the job, he lost his voice completely. In the entire time He was junior minister, his twitter account mentioned defence twice.

I wonder did jack know that he had that role as well. Its easy to forget when you are giving money away and opening pitches and being told by everyone there on the day how wonderfull you are

Well I can tell you he did not, because I sent on to him my suggestions, a good while back, for a strengthened reserve, modern national service model and third level ROTC and he responded to the effect that that had nothing to do with him, but would pass it on.

The Irish Government? Surely not...

I see the department are hiring direct civillian apprentices for various trades. Have they decided it easier this way than getting to join the military as apprentices or have they always done this?

So, An Taoiseach nua has appointed outgoing Minister of State for Housing, Peter Burke, to be Minister of State at Dept of the Taoiseach and at Foreign Affairs (Minister for European Affair in other words) and Minister of State for Defence.

So of course that leaves less than no time for working on things Defence. Another indictment of these Government parties' attitude to the sector.

Minister why are re opening the barracks in Mullingar? Because i have being a minister for the last few years and i have to show to do something for the town or i might not get relected

Edit: Oh no they forgot to tell peter he was also junior minister for Defence!

https://www.westmeathexaminer.ie/2022/12/21/burke-pleasantly-surprised-with-new-role-in-europe/

Post edited by roadmaster on

• Advertisement

Well I see the Report popped up in someone's latest Q&A:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM1DRsHyl_Q&t=1693s

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Not that he's cynical or anything. Might want to change the timestamp to 1506 though

For the apc replacement do you think the Piranha V would be a good purchase?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

During the mini mini government shake up i was disapointed the government did not appoint a Super Jnr under MM to push on with the commission report

I see the DOD are taking on Civilan Apprentices such as sparks and fitters.

Is this just to speed up the available work force on equipment as they wont have to do military training

Link?

If it's DoD it's probably for the BFW, most who are well past retirement age by now. They carry out repairs and maintenance at all Defence Forces properties.

They are civilians. The only time they'll see anything military is if they have to rewire the weapons stores. Its a great gig.

Naval yard also. How does the chain of command work . Do they just report to a Sgt and call him by his 1st name

Isn’t that been normal though? I mean my godfathers dad was a civilian working in the yard back in the corvette days, and there was an article in the Examiner I think last year regarding the workforce in the yard?

• Advertisement

I know there has always being civilans in roles but in the current climate would you not want as many military trades as possabile that can serve over seas rather than 9 to 5 fitter who cant

Advertisement