Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DF Commission Report

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭roadmaster

I see Mr Martin is off worrying about Gaza today. If he only put a fraction of the passion he has for Gaza in to his part time job as Defence Minister we might see more movement on the Commission report

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭sparky42

Looks at the number of protests, debates, airtime etc the Gaza conflict and Palestine/Israel gets compared to the state of the DF…

Sadly he’s focused on where the majority of voters are focused on.

I would say elements of the media are more interested in palestine and i dont think to many election candiates are been asked about palestine when looking for votes.Unfortuntly i married in 2 family that are grass roots SF and they cant understand why there elected people are going on about palaestine as that wont sort out the issues that matter

Taken from DOD website:

The Tánaiste and Minister for Defence, Michael Martin, today welcomed record levels of capital funding for Defence over the next two years.

The revised allocations of €215 million in 2025 and €220 million in 2026 will boost ongoing efforts to modernise and upgrade equipment and infrastructure in the Defence Forces.

Announcing the increased capital allocations, the Tánaiste said:

“The increased capital funding is a clear demonstration of Government’s strong commitment to invest in, and support, the transformation of our Defence Forces into a modern, agile military force, serving at home and overseas, while also responding to increasingly more complex global security threats and events.”

The increased capital funding will accelerate transformation of the Defence Forces in line with the Strategic Framework and objectives set out in the Detailed Implementation Plan for the Report of the Commission on the Defence Forces (CODF).

It will see investment in a range of equipment including Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) Equipment, Helmets and Body Armour, Chemical, Biological, Radiological & Nuclear (CBRN) Equipment, and Night Vision Equipment, as well as progressing critically important equipment projects such as the development of Military Radar Systems and Sub-Sea Awareness Capabilities, Naval Fleet Management and Replacement, and the purchase of new fixed and rotary wing aircraft, including a Military Transport Aircraft

In addition, the increased allocations will accelerate progress on a significant number of Infrastructural projects over the coming years, such as;

• Upgrade and increased capacity of accommodation in Haulbowline Naval Base;
    • Development of a new purpose-built Casement Military Medical Facility;
    • Upgrade and Refurbishment of McKee Barracks;
    • Development of new CIS Workshop Facility, Defence Forces Training Centre;
    • Development of a new Army Ranger Wing (ARW) HQ Building;
    • Upgrades to various accommodation, storage, training and gym facilities in military locations throughout the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,371 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Absolutely nothing new. Not a line item or a project that hasn't been included in 10 different documents or releases in the last 3 years.

I really wish they'd just stop talking and get on with it. The glossy brochures being the priority over actual action, and innovation, and progress just pisses me off to high heaven.

The fingerprints of civil service inertia are all over a brain-dead press release like that, and the sooner a CHoD is appointed and his office take over planning and procurement activity the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

Oh my God! The country is on a war footing!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭mupper2

To be brutally honest the DOD/DF just don't have the capacity in a variety of areas to manage a load of large procurement projects simultaneously.

We could dump 5 billion into the DOD tomorrow to buy it and they couldn't manage it. It's not just this list that'll be (hopefully) bought in the next 5-10 years,replace the LTAV , Piranha III (and they seem to want more variants of that so more complex again), MRV, the AW139 fleet replacement, upgrade the Jav, and a good few other smaller but still substantial projects.

I'd be shocked if the DOD can mange 2-3 of these at once.

True, time and again that's been demonstrated, but why just accept the silo's? I mean other departments have done much more procurement than the DOD/DF (to be clear not saying that they are necessarily good at it, just they have had more capital budgets to play with), why not pull in some extra personnel to increase Project Management/Procurement if anyone was serious about fixing the issues?

Or alternatively push more into the "easy" areas like the base facilities and advance them much more aggressively, that wouldn't hurt the retention issues?

That's not even going for any "radical" ideas.

Dont worry as soon as Tom in Accounts comes back from his sick leave he will process the Purchase Orders for the AW101 Fleet and the new MRV.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭tippilot

While the pitiful tokenism, rehashed press releases and window dressing continue here with minimal actual spend, it is interesting to look at Austria as an example of a neutral country giving the current security situation the attention it deserves.

Procurements in progress include:

• 4 Batteries each of the IRIS-T ground based air defence system in both the short range SLS and medium range SLM versions.
    • The procurement of a long range air defence system with both Patriot and Arrow 3 under consideration.
    • 4 x Two Seat Eurofighters in addition to the upgrade of the 15 single seaters already in service.
    • 18 x combat capable jet trainers. M346FA is the strong favourite.
    • AW169M helicopters x 36 with deliveries under way.
    • 4-5 Replacements for the C130.
    • A possible 12 further Black Hawk helicopters.

We use the geography card to downplay our defence obligations, when in reality we are an exposed country on Europe's western flank vulnerable to anyone with long range aviation or a navy. Austria on the other hand is a landlocked country with NATO countries between it and trouble and it's quietly going about it's business building up it's capabilities.

Here we publish progress reports on action plans that are high on box ticking but low on action. We instigate a Defence Review and don't action it. Refurbish a few barracks - A lick of paint here and there. One can only hope that this spoofing is soon called out at European level or by the multinationals based here. The continued governmental apathy to defence and the pace of investment is beyond baffling at this point. What is the explanation? Does 1924 still rankle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭vswr

I'm surprised they went Eurofighter considering how much they've pissed and moaned about (and almost sold all) their current ones

According to the DF Vision document to accompany the new Air & Marine Radar they are getting a GBAD system. I presume to replace the RBS 70

The document says a lot of nice things…and that's about as far as it will get. The NS will get ships because its a visible service, they do nice media eye catching drug busts and with immigration swelling to the top of the agenda, the gov of any stripe will want to be seen to be doingsomething. We might get radars.

You just have to look at yesterdays announcement by the Luxembourg gov is going to spend 2.6 Billion on upgrading kit/vehicles for their military. A force less then 1000 strong with no navy to worry about, to see the gov here will never sanction the spending needed to address the needs we have.

It's just not going to happen, I've come to that realisation and to be honest it takes the sting out of it.

Reading the Strategic Framework Update that the department released today i have to say it is very impresive how the Department have rehashed previous information they released. Sir Humprey would be so impressed.

• Advertisement

Delete..

Post edited by mupper2 on

Times is saying Naval Service name change is coming soon so does that mean the new defence forces command structure will happen sooner than we think?

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/2024/05/25/newly-purchased-navy-ship-wont-be-deployed-until-staff-numbers-increase/

In the proposed new structure all 3 services are to be equall so will the GOC of the Army/ Land forces be a Brigadier General or will all the heads of services move up a level?

Handy job, commanding f*ck all people.

So with the CoS bringing a big crew with him next year and the retirements you mentioned in a past post what will ne the average age of the new senior staff?

• Advertisement

You're suggesting they should be higher?

The land forces commander will be over a much larger force with more diverse activities, even though his role in day-to-day national defence may be less. So swings and roundabouts.

I think making the three branches equal under OF-7s is the cleanest way to begin the longer term changes.

The optimum time to switch up all the services, big bang the lot and reset for purpose.

It will be like the Night of the Long Knives at the officers Summer BBQ with that many lads and ladies going for the jobs

Good. Competition is the healthiest of things. It will help shake off the malaise that has decended on the DF these last 15 years, due to mismanagement and low prioritisation, nay neglect, by successive governments.

If anyone is bored and wants a laught the DOD have published the White Paper on Defence Programme Status Report on there website. Yes the whitepaper is still a thing from 2015

They are currently working on the Blue paper. That will cover why the items due in 2028 have not been delivered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,934 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Britain, France and Norway search for Russian sub off Ireland

Nato allies are concerned about Moscow potentially sabotaging cables and pipelines as well as Ireland’s inability to contribute to its own defence

In tomorrow's Sunday Times

Its good news as Shannon is getting extra sales in Aviation Fuels, Sambos and Coffee

Its ok we had a Casa 295 up there during the week and i even think WB Yeats could be in the area

• Advertisement

Was it not due to head to killybegs for another open day this weekend?

The poor russians must not know that corrib is nearly empty.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Unless the CASA has sonobuoys or MAD gear I don’t know about, i don’t see that it makes a difference,

I belive it is fitted out with very limited sub surface ability up to maybe 5/ 10 Meters.

I seen your video with the cavalry school. You had mentioned before about all the current IFVs/ APCs been to big for irish roads. Did they indicate what Mowag replacement they are looking at?

The AC should get back to Airbus and tell em to modify the 3rd plane currently on order to incorporate a full suite of equipment so that it can carry out subsea as well as surface surveillance.

This will mean that it won't be usable as a transport plane so they should acquire a KC390 as a more useful asset.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

No, that's part of the reason they were at the AFV conference I ran into them at last year. They were trying to keep abreast of current developments.

I don’t suppose they have you any idea of a timeframe for the replacement (or their best guess), or like the MRV for the Navy, is it going to be something that’s going to be long fingered as much as possible?

So they dont know what they want but according to the Detailed Implementation Plan the New Armour will start to be delivered in early 2026 less than 18 months from now?

have we ever actually procured something when we said we would?

For a bit of context on how things have moved on since we bought our PIII's, Slovenia is currently running a RFP for 106 8x8 AVs budgeted at $700 million..

I just can't see an Irish gov plonking down close to 3/4 of billion Euro for similar here. CAVS is probably a more viable vehicle.

• Advertisement

I mean the same can be said for any defence purchase, whether that’s the price tag for the 295s and their support package, or the MRV if it happens, to the idea of an effective primary radar system. None of them were/are going to be cheap purchases.

The only benefit for the army is they actually get to parade them for Paddy’s day and the politicians get to point at them.

I don't like seeing the increasing number of articles like this but unfortunately it's needed. It's the fact we don't even do the bare minimum which is hard to understand.

I think it will take an event to radically change things. Sabotage of infrastructure most likely. I think there is a kick up the hole coming.

Another possibility and one I think is most likely is that NATO countries may intentionally and publicly refuse to help Irish citizens the next time our government goes thumbing lifts.

To be fair, its the Telegraph, if it isn't the state of our capabilities then its our foreign policies, or tax or something…

I mean the powers that be, both in Dublin and the Western nations know exactly how incapable we are, and our unwillingness to change that. The Telegraph having a go won't change that, but I always have wondered why when the agreement with the UK was signed and ever since why there was no attempt to make us pay even a portion of the costs whether that was for the RAF rescue operations over the decades or for the possibility of protecting us over the same period?

Will these integrate into the DMR system, or is this completely separate?

Spotted the job looking for contractors for this work a few months back….was on a UK ex-mil jobsite… said "must" have military experience :-D I'm sure there'll be loads of people who would be happy hearing a load of ex-UK mil are setting up and Irish tactical system.

well they handle most of our security needs and loads of people are happy with that…

• Advertisement

the "secret" partnership that keeps on giving !

Ah well...every little helps!

By the sounds of things we will have a very young Defence leadership when the COS is gone as who he leaves behind will be getting the blame.

https://www.thejournal.ie/taoiseach-simon-harris-crotty-ogorman-serious-questions-for-the-defence-forces-re-the-handling-of-abuse-cases-6418343-Jun2024/

The very best thing An Taoiseach Nua could do, is to appoint a standalone Minister for Defence to Cabinet, and stop bleating about the symptoms.

There is so, so much to be done in reform and expansion, one half Minister and one half junior Minister is entirely insufficient.

An the Jnr Minister has zero role or imput in to the defence forces which makes it worse.

By the sounds of simon harris fake outrage sean clancy is a lucky man he is heading for Brussells or he could have got a P45

• Advertisement
Advertisement