Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go-Ahead Dublin City Routes - Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

I think the buses on the 197 already have a manual ramp. Anyway I think drivers are supposed to have manual handling training if using a manual ramp.

The 197 is a weird one not really considered a city route or a commuter route just it's own standalone route not affiliated to any wider network. Has it's own fare structure and all. The buses on the 197 aren't fitted with AVL either afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

Can you clarify what livery buses should be in while operating NTA contracts? Go ahead were using their own livery on the 197 up until recently, lots of other operators using their own livery on various routes, not to mention Bus Eireann who haven't painted one of their city buses in to the new yellow/green paint scheme yet.

I find it strange that both Dublin Bus and Go Ahead are flying along with their repaints while Bus Eireann are not.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,551 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I would imagine that there would be a desire for all buses operating TFI services to be in the TFI livery at some stage.

Leaving Local Link aside, which is a separate brand, TFI contracted services are:

Dublin City operated by DB & GAI

Dublin Regional operated by GAI

National PSO & regional cities/towns operated by BE

Kilkenny City - City Direct

Kilkenny-Dublin Route 817 - Bernard Kavanagh

Ashbourne-Swords Route 197 - GAI

Naas-Blanchardstown Route 139 - JJ Kavanagh

Cavan/Longford Route 975 - Whartons

DB have always had a policy of regular repaints, which was every three years and is now every four. BE had no such policy which is why, as their fleet got older, they looked shabbier. I’d expect that to start to change.

I would expect that as the new BusConnects network is rolled out in Cork for example that the fleet will start to be repainted into TFI colours.

Galway city and most of Limerick are now in the new TFI livery, and Athlone will be from early next year. Sligo, Navan and Waterford are in the earlier TFI livery but will presumably be repainted at some stage.

The NTA will presumably want a standard livery on all buses operating TFI services, but that will take time.

Cheers for the reply and info LXflyer. I think the new livery looks great, even better on the new electroliners (amazing what a logo on the front does to looks). Its smart has the color green in it and looks clean. A nice clean uniform look across the country, the more buses and coaches the better.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

If I remember correctly, at least one of GAI's Streetlites had a manual ramp. Easy to use and could be kicked shut. I doubt they'll be retrofitting anything.

Just out of interest, what do drivers usually do when a ramp won't open and you've got someone in a wheelchair waiting to get on? "Sorry, no-can-do" and leave the poor soul on the side of the road? Or does common sense prevail, and do you abandon the safety of the cab for a few seconds to open it with the tool provided?

• Advertisement

Happened to me a few times, radio control STAY IN CAB, maintenance would come to fix or with new bus if near depo, other wise leave passenger for next bus and your bus would be swapped at terminus. The message was clear though... DO NOT LEAVE THE CAB!

That was Clontarf depo, on The Howth and Malahide road corridors so a bus wasn't usually far behind you. I don't know what would happen on a less frequent route.

Interesting to note that the new PA class have a manual ramp on the center door as a backup. I don't know what the protocol would be there as Clontarf never had any PA buses and Ive left now anyway.

Sorry folks, I know I'm going off topic.

Its a disgrace Joe!

Yeah common sense would prevail for most drivers but I guess there's always some jobsworth who'll say things like I'm not trained to do that or there's no union agreement for that.

I had a DB driver once who wouldn't stop for me because cars were illegally parked blocking the bus stop now obviously the cars parked illegally were in the wrong but there was loads of space for him to stop safely after the bus stop but he made no effort to stop.

When I phoned DB to complain they told me there was nothing except pass on the reg of the cars blocking the stop to the guards through the cctv they could do nothing with the driver as he was technically following the correct procedure. There's always some who'll follow procedure to the letter either to try and prove a point or just because their too bloody lazy to go out of their way.

this "cars parked at the bus stop" spiel was given to me by a jobsworth on the 16 too 2 years ago now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭john boye

I saw it happen a few years ago, ramp wouldn't open and wheelchair user couldn't get on. Driver was extremely apologetic and seemed embarrassed about the situation but had to just head on.

I'm open to correction but I think that manual ramp on the PAs is for emergency use if say the bus was involved in an accident and the front doors couldn't be used then a wheelchair user could be evacuated from the back doors.

That's an educated guess on my part as I remember seeing an image on the DFB twitter page of a bus involved in an accident and they used a pallet to get a wheelchair user off. Here's the picture could this possibly be the reason for the ramp at the centre doors on the PAs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭xper

That's a curiously well fitting set of components for an improvised ramp :)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭daveville30

Would the 197 route be busy can't imagine a lot of people would want to go from Ashbourne to swords.id say a direct bus from Ashbourne to blanch would have a lot more using it.

The 105 already does Ashbourne to Blanch. I'd say it's more for the rural areas in between the two. I'm guessing it's more a local community route used by a lot of OAPs as opposed to a busy commuter route. Maybe if it was to be extended to the Airport it could get more use in the Ashbourne area.

Why do you think that not many people would want to make that trip?

Two major towns, one of which (Swords) has lots of employment and retail options.

The 197 fills a major gap in the public transport network.

Again, it opens up opportunities for people to take jobs in either town while also improving the service to/from Rolestown. It’s all about building connectivity.

As for the airport, the 109A already connects Ashbourne and the Airport every hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

sorry wrong thread

So the route is fairly logical and offers decent connections. Only thing I think is silly about it is that it's not part of the Dublin city network with the same fare structure as other DB/GAI routes plus the benefit of the 90 minute fare. Could be done with bus connects rebrand it to the L97 perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭daveville30

When I lived in Ashbourne and needed anything it was always Blanch we went.there used to be a Dublin bus that went to rolestown then stopped is that still going or has the 197 taking over

There was no option to go to Swords on public transport until the 197 started, that’s the point!

Now the option exists.

The 41b still operates.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,759 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Last time I was home I used to N6 (think it's a Go-Ahead route) from Coolock to get to Santry to take a bus to the airport. When you get off the N6 you've to walk for about 10 minutes to get to a Dublin Bus stop where the 16 and 41 stop. Anyone else had to do this? It seems ridiculous that you have to walk so far to get a connecting bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭DaBluBoi

Pretty daft of them not to make the Swords routes stop on the same one as the N6, though I imagine it'll get fixed once the A spine gets introduced

• Advertisement

Also how do you pay for buses in Dublin nowadays? Do you have to put the card down by the driver and tell him where you're going? Or can you just beep your card on the other thing on your right as you get on? How does that know how far you're going, or is there just one fare now regardless of distance?

It's only 2 mins walk from the N6 stop (stop 7848) to stop 1624 outbound on the 16 & 41. Go back towards town rather than the stop outside Santry Stadium

In the other direction use stops 1639 to get off the 16/41 and stop 7847 to catch the N6.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Both options available to use.

If you go to the driver side machine and specify the stop, the system auto calculates which fare should be used. You can also just say "short fare" or "long fare" etc., but some drivers may also ask for your stop.

Going to the right-hand side validator just charges you the full amount, aka the 90 minute fare

Yeah looks a bit quicker. TFI told me to get off at santry Lane and walk towards airport. Takes a while.

All in all for someone who always moaned about being from so close to the airport but no way of getting there (I have cycled many times), the N6 comes every 10 minutes now and it takes about 45 mins door to door, can't complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Muller1991

I was invited to a party last Friday out in Dun Laoighaire and fancied a drink so I wasn't going to drive. Myself and a friend said we would get the 75 from the old Bawn road, It was due to leave the square at 19.15 so would be down in less than 10 mins. By 7.45 there was no sign of the bus so we jumped on the 175 to UCD and caught the 46A instead. Got off in Dun Laoighaire and there was at least 20-30 people at the stop waiting on a 75, They where in for a long wait by the looks of things

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I have seen drivers telling people who had gone to them but were in to non-short-fare distances to use the other validator - may work to train people to use it; but it certainly doesn't save time as the ticket machine will have switched to Leap mode by that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Interestingly enough, I was getting the short fare to go a couple of stops on the 145 the other day. Driver started saying since it was a young adult card I could just tap on the right hand validator and it would still be the 1 euro fare... think he forgot the short fare was a thing 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

GAI have not posted any diversion news about the 17 and 114 routes in Blackrock on their website recently. There are roadworks taking place in some parts of Blackrock which begin at 7pm tonight.

The roadworks in Blackrock covers road closures from Newtown Avenue to Maritimo Villas. They will take place until 1am every night until the early hours of Friday morning.

Dublin Bus already posted a diversion notice on their website about temporary changes to 7/7a and 84/a.

The 7 & 7a are using the bypass for their routes to Parnell Square. They use the normal route when going from town.

The 84 & 84a are using Frascati Road and the car showroom as bus stops for their routes to Bray Dart Stn & Newcastle.

GAI have not posted any updates on their about temporary updates for the 17 and 114 to reroute them via Blackrock Church and the Blackrock bypass on their website yet.

They are very slow in putting them up there.

Advertisement